Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display minifigs?

1282930313234»

Comments

• dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 170
    flord said:
    Thinking thinking about changing up my displays and adding lights. How safe are LEDs? Will they cause minifigs to fade like sunlight?
    LED's emit almost no UV. Studies show some LED's can emit a very small amount of UV. If you light up your LEGO. LED is the way to go. Certainly better than Sunlight and Fluorescent.

I prefer 4000K (White) and 5000K (Daylight) tints for display lighting. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,042
    Looks great!

(But where's Mr. Freeze, Egghead and King Tut for those Batman '66 villains?)
    LEGOFan2dmcc0datsunrobbie
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    @WatfordScottyM @Hemel ;and others
    I've seen a number of display cases where minifigures are on the 2x2 inverted slopes.  How do you attach them to the back of the display case? And in cases where there is a CMF box for effect or another image providing a backdrop, how do you mount those?
    LEGOFan2
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 755
    @MrJackson I've got some CMF series displayed in Ikea Ribba frames and I mounted white card onto the back of the frame (Spray mount or double sided tape will do for this) and stuck the 2x2 inverted slopes with double sided tape.  So far seem to have stuck pretty well, but would depend on the roughness of the background; the card I used was pretty smooth.

In contrast, I did a larger frame with a thin plastic backing mounted to the back of the frame (didn't have a big enough sheet of card) and used the same tape and within a couple of weeks there were several slopes that had fallen off.  Eventually there were more lying in the bottom of the frame than there were still attached so I just removed them all.  Some were still stuck pretty solid, so I think the non-porous plastic was less forgiving than the card in terms of surface contaminants from hands etc. and that caused the issue.
    I am going to try again, but gluing them this time; just haven't got around to doing it yet...
    LEGOFan2
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,611
    ^^I used hot glue. Easy to apply and can also be removed without a lot of fuss if you ever want to re purpose the inverted slopes. 
    LEGOFan2
    Awesome. Thanks. In terms of background colors, since there are a lot of people with more experience than me, it seems white is pretty popular as a background color.  I'm thinking about doing an image of the Death Star rising over Scarif from Rogue One as a background image for my Darth figures; if that doesn't work I don't want to use black as a background as it would be too dark but not sure I'd want to use white either. Thoughts?
    LEGOFan2
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 889
    ^Orange or red, implying Mustafar?
    LEGOFan2
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 755
    ^^It depends on the figs/image to be honest.  You want something that'll contrast the figures, but not too busy that it takes your eye away from them.  Darth figs on a black/dark background might be too much, but a Stormtrooper/Clone Army for example, would look pretty sweet on a black background.

I had considered using coloured backgrounds for my CMFs to match the pack colours, but didn't like the white/black inverted slopes against the coloured backgrounds and wasn't really willing to buy more slopes to try and match since I already had loads of black and white.
    edited March 19
    @dmcc0 it's the seven Darth figures: Malgus, Revan, Maul, Tyrranus, Vader, Sidious, and Ren (not a Darth per se, but close enough). I'm thinking a darker red background for them. I'll see what Michaels has in stock.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,042
    MrJackson said:
    ...it's the seven Darth figures: Malgus, Revan, Maul, Tyrranus, Vader, Sidious, and Ren...
    Don't forget Dar Dar Binks.

(But you may want a Snoke if you're including Kylo.)
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 446

My first attempt at an IKEA Ribba display.
    Very nice, mind me asking how you calculated the placement for inverted bricks?
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,469
    PJ76uk said:

My first attempt at an IKEA Ribba display.
    Very nice, mind me asking how you calculated the placement for inverted bricks?
    I made a 60-stud wide beam out of plates and bricks, total of 2 bricks high, and attached the inverted slopes starting at the second stud, with 2 spaces between each. Lined up the beam at the bottom of the frame and set the first row. Then I used 1x2 bricks 6 bricks high on the bottom of the beam lined up between the previously mounted slopes to position the next row. Repeat to get to the top row. I'll take a picture of my "mounting jig" when I put together the next frame.

The frame is 60 studs wide, so I had to be particularly careful on the bottom row to split the difference. 6 rows can handle the tallest minifigures I had on hand, a 7th row seemed cramped when I laid it out. 
    LittleLoriPJ76ukandhe
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 511
    i used super glue to attach the slopes to card on a 23x23 ikea ribba frame. i didnt attach the card to the backing though - that's a great idea!

my next thing to do having completed a couple of frames is get a printer that can print on the card. This will be great for the smaller frames, but the larger 50x50 will most likely need to be specially printed!

I created a template from technic lego to get the spacing right and i have LDD files for several different layouts for 50x50 and 23x23 ribba frames.

I have a small frame for the disney figures and a large frame for my year 1 dimensions figures :o)
    For those of you that use IKEA Ribba frames, is the depth standard across the range? Or do they make different depth Ribbas?  I want to make my Darth display now that my Classic Space display is completed (had to be custom-built) and want to make sure there's enough depth - I'd ideally like them to hold their lightsabers across the front in an en-guard position
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 446
    MrJackson said:
    For those of you that use IKEA Ribba frames, is the depth standard across the range? Or do they make different depth Ribbas?  I want to make my Darth display now that my Classic Space display is completed (had to be custom-built) and want to make sure there's enough depth - I'd ideally like them to hold their lightsabers across the front in an en-guard position
    there should be room for this as I have used similar placement for CMF with sword accessories.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,469
    MrJackson said:
    There are different depths. I have not checked every variant, but it seems the square ones are deeper than the rectangular ones, as I discovered when I bought a 24x35 3/4" Ribba frame that was not deep enough.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,785
    I've been slowing building my display for the large square RIBBA frame. Only to discover my mounting solution (same as Lego's official frames - 3 part bracket) made the figures stand too close to the glass. So they're now also on jumper plates to shift the figures back slightly.
    SumoLego
    My first go at a display. The bottom two are a little off but not enough for me to redo it.
    LegopantsLegogramLittleLoriSumoLegodmcc0pxchrisBumblepants
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,611

I finally got my Disney S2 into their frame to match S1. After many attempts, I determined it was impossible to get a picture that didn't also have the reflection. So, the photo doesn't show it off quite as well. Still, glad to have them framed finally!

(The guitar is Johnson brand. Cheap, but helps distract the kids from my nicer ones and still accomplishes the same musical purpose)

KungFuKennyFizyxLittleLoriLegopantspxchrisKeilup