Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display minifigs?

Comments

• dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 184
    flord said:
    Thinking thinking about changing up my displays and adding lights. How safe are LEDs? Will they cause minifigs to fade like sunlight?
    LED's emit almost no UV. Studies show some LED's can emit a very small amount of UV. If you light up your LEGO. LED is the way to go. Certainly better than Sunlight and Fluorescent.

I prefer 4000K (White) and 5000K (Daylight) tints for display lighting. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,151
    Looks great!

(But where's Mr. Freeze, Egghead and King Tut for those Batman '66 villains?)
    LEGOFan2dmcc0datsunrobbie
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 397
    @WatfordScottyM @Hemeland others
    I've seen a number of display cases where minifigures are on the 2x2 inverted slopes.  How do you attach them to the back of the display case? And in cases where there is a CMF box for effect or another image providing a backdrop, how do you mount those?
    LEGOFan2
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 778
    @MrJackson I've got some CMF series displayed in Ikea Ribba frames and I mounted white card onto the back of the frame (Spray mount or double sided tape will do for this) and stuck the 2x2 inverted slopes with double sided tape.  So far seem to have stuck pretty well, but would depend on the roughness of the background; the card I used was pretty smooth.

In contrast, I did a larger frame with a thin plastic backing mounted to the back of the frame (didn't have a big enough sheet of card) and used the same tape and within a couple of weeks there were several slopes that had fallen off.  Eventually there were more lying in the bottom of the frame than there were still attached so I just removed them all.  Some were still stuck pretty solid, so I think the non-porous plastic was less forgiving than the card in terms of surface contaminants from hands etc. and that caused the issue.
    I am going to try again, but gluing them this time; just haven't got around to doing it yet...
    LEGOFan2
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,977
    ^^I used hot glue. Easy to apply and can also be removed without a lot of fuss if you ever want to re purpose the inverted slopes. 
    LEGOFan2
    Awesome. Thanks. In terms of background colors, since there are a lot of people with more experience than me, it seems white is pretty popular as a background color.  I'm thinking about doing an image of the Death Star rising over Scarif from Rogue One as a background image for my Darth figures; if that doesn't work I don't want to use black as a background as it would be too dark but not sure I'd want to use white either. Thoughts?
    LEGOFan2
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,916
    ^Orange or red, implying Mustafar?
    LEGOFan2
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 778
    ^^It depends on the figs/image to be honest.  You want something that'll contrast the figures, but not too busy that it takes your eye away from them.  Darth figs on a black/dark background might be too much, but a Stormtrooper/Clone Army for example, would look pretty sweet on a black background.

I had considered using coloured backgrounds for my CMFs to match the pack colours, but didn't like the white/black inverted slopes against the coloured backgrounds and wasn't really willing to buy more slopes to try and match since I already had loads of black and white.
    edited March 2019
    @dmcc0 it's the seven Darth figures: Malgus, Revan, Maul, Tyrranus, Vader, Sidious, and Ren (not a Darth per se, but close enough). I'm thinking a darker red background for them. I'll see what Michaels has in stock.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,151
    MrJackson said:
    ...it's the seven Darth figures: Malgus, Revan, Maul, Tyrranus, Vader, Sidious, and Ren...
    Don't forget Dar Dar Binks.

(But you may want a Snoke if you're including Kylo.)
    Brixfan02
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 517

My first attempt at an IKEA Ribba display.
    Very nice, mind me asking how you calculated the placement for inverted bricks?
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,578
    PJ76uk said:

My first attempt at an IKEA Ribba display.
    Very nice, mind me asking how you calculated the placement for inverted bricks?
    I made a 60-stud wide beam out of plates and bricks, total of 2 bricks high, and attached the inverted slopes starting at the second stud, with 2 spaces between each. Lined up the beam at the bottom of the frame and set the first row. Then I used 1x2 bricks 6 bricks high on the bottom of the beam lined up between the previously mounted slopes to position the next row. Repeat to get to the top row. I'll take a picture of my "mounting jig" when I put together the next frame.

The frame is 60 studs wide, so I had to be particularly careful on the bottom row to split the difference. 6 rows can handle the tallest minifigures I had on hand, a 7th row seemed cramped when I laid it out. 
    LittleLoriPJ76ukandhe
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 553
    i used super glue to attach the slopes to card on a 23x23 ikea ribba frame. i didnt attach the card to the backing though - that's a great idea!

my next thing to do having completed a couple of frames is get a printer that can print on the card. This will be great for the smaller frames, but the larger 50x50 will most likely need to be specially printed!

I created a template from technic lego to get the spacing right and i have LDD files for several different layouts for 50x50 and 23x23 ribba frames.

I have a small frame for the disney figures and a large frame for my year 1 dimensions figures :o)
    For those of you that use IKEA Ribba frames, is the depth standard across the range? Or do they make different depth Ribbas?  I want to make my Darth display now that my Classic Space display is completed (had to be custom-built) and want to make sure there's enough depth - I'd ideally like them to hold their lightsabers across the front in an en-guard position
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 517
    MrJackson said:
    For those of you that use IKEA Ribba frames, is the depth standard across the range? Or do they make different depth Ribbas?  I want to make my Darth display now that my Classic Space display is completed (had to be custom-built) and want to make sure there's enough depth - I'd ideally like them to hold their lightsabers across the front in an en-guard position
    there should be room for this as I have used similar placement for CMF with sword accessories.
    MrJackson said:
    There are different depths. I have not checked every variant, but it seems the square ones are deeper than the rectangular ones, as I discovered when I bought a 24x35 3/4" Ribba frame that was not deep enough.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,112
    I've been slowing building my display for the large square RIBBA frame. Only to discover my mounting solution (same as Lego's official frames - 3 part bracket) made the figures stand too close to the glass. So they're now also on jumper plates to shift the figures back slightly.
    SumoLego
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,977

I finally got my Disney S2 into their frame to match S1. After many attempts, I determined it was impossible to get a picture that didn't also have the reflection. So, the photo doesn't show it off quite as well. Still, glad to have them framed finally!

(The guitar is Johnson brand. Cheap, but helps distract the kids from my nicer ones and still accomplishes the same musical purpose)

KungFuKennyFizyxLittleLoriLegopantspxchrisKeilupOnebricktoomanyTXLegoguyKLOKRIECHER
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 239
    Anyone used these Alsino cases to display minifigs?  It's the only solution I can  find that is deep enough and wide enough to accommodate the larger CMF collection (more than 16 figs)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Showcase-Display-Untreated-Plexiglas-collection/dp/B00CEBSN1G/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=alsino+wall+showcase+display&qid=1570619903&s=kitchen&sr=1-22
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,787
    tiled, FWIW - great collection!
    panchox1KungFuKennymak0137Brixfan02bricktuary
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 132
    you could do a Jailhouse Rock version
    Brixfan02panchox1
  • nerick906nerick906 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 400
    I got quite genuine question about collecting and displaying SH minifigs, how are you guys displaying them? set by set? Shxxx to next? All type of character in one (although a lot of moving around constantly...) mixing dc and Marvel (I'm not gonna do that ;)) ? let me know :)

I got 4 Ribba frames that I made lego shelves out of bricks in each one, I can fit 110 figs in each, I can see that Brickset data does not marge together collectables (TRU SH) & Dimensions  (plus old Batman and Superman sets obviously are categorised differently but that is not the issue)

How do you arrange them as I am going crazy with adding figs constantly... 
  • legobodlegobod CA USAMember Posts: 279
    nerick906 said:
    I got quite genuine question about collecting and displaying SH minifigs, how are you guys displaying them? set by set? Shxxx to next? All type of character in one (although a lot of moving around constantly...) mixing dc and Marvel (I'm not gonna do that ;)) ? let me know :)

I pick my theme, Marvel, DC, etc. work out how many I can fit in the display vs how many figs I actually have/plan to have (usually 1 per character) to have the same amount in each row. 
        Then I usually group characters together where it makes sense to, Guardians of the galaxy, X-men, heroes, villains etc. to work out how to to fit everything in. The top row will then be my favourites/most important working down to least favourite/important on the bottom row with the centre spaces in each row being the most important/favourite working out to the least at the ends of each row. Leave spaces if necessary for missing figs to save moving them around later.
        Big figs and other figs like Doc Ock with his tentacles you have to work out display by display.
        Star wars I'm  working on a row for IV, V and VI with a final row for the best of the rest.
        I use bamboo cutlery trays for most of my displays, gives me 4 ready made shelves for 8 figs in each, at least 1 space at the side for bigger figs and a nice wood look. Others can complain about dust or layout but I make the displays for me and as long as you're happy with the end result of yours too don't worry about what others say.
    Legogram
  • nerick906nerick906 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 400
    legobod said:
    nerick906 said:

I pick my theme, Marvel, DC, etc. work out how many I can fit in the display vs how many figs I actually have/plan to have (usually 1 per character) to have the same amount in each row. 
        Then I usually group characters together where it makes sense to, Guardians of the galaxy, X-men, heroes, villains etc. to work out how to to fit everything in. The top row will then be my favourites/most important working down to least favourite/important on the bottom row with the centre spaces in each row being the most important/favourite working out to the least at the ends of each row. Leave spaces if necessary for missing figs to save moving them around later.
        Big figs and other figs like Doc Ock with his tentacles you have to work out display by display.
        Star wars I'm  working on a row for IV, V and VI with a final row for the best of the rest.
        I use bamboo cutlery trays for most of my displays, gives me 4 ready made shelves for 8 figs in each, at least 1 space at the side for bigger figs and a nice wood look. Others can complain about dust or layout but I make the displays for me and as long as you're happy with the end result of yours too don't worry about what others say.
    The space and all I get and I understand, for me is the whole structure of displaying it and the most viable way, go from SH001 --> SH100 or go buy the movies, or go all types in each etc. Below sample of one of my frames, I need to still tidy it up as I know how to sort Marvels hands properly lol.

• legobodlegobod CA USAMember Posts: 279
        If you have the time and patience try whatever ways you can think of and pick whichever you like the most. I'm not seeing the pic, could be the browser though.
  • nmualumninmualumni Michigan, USAMember Posts: 53
    gold682 said:
    Ikea Ribba is the cheapest option for me. I purchased a Canon A3 photo printer (not cheap, but cheaper than buying the backgrounds individually) and print off the backgrounds for the CMF's and spin offs. Waiting to redecorate the room before I wall mount these. Currently have about 32 frames completed, so should make a good "feature wall" - even my wife is happy with the results!
    ps. the gaps are ones I hadn't printed at the time.
    Where are you getting the graphics for the backgrounds?
    jimmyp1982
  • gold682gold682 UKMember Posts: 230
    nmualumni said:
    gold682 said:
    Ikea Ribba is the cheapest option for me. I purchased a Canon A3 photo printer (not cheap, but cheaper than buying the backgrounds individually) and print off the backgrounds for the CMF's and spin offs. Waiting to redecorate the room before I wall mount these. Currently have about 32 frames completed, so should make a good "feature wall" - even my wife is happy with the results!
    ps. the gaps are ones I hadn't printed at the time.
    Where are you getting the graphics for the backgrounds?
    Most sourced from the internet. They need to be hi res 300 dpi for them to look good. I've done a few more since this pic, namely Friends background (photographed a portion of the box) an a HP Calender one, both of which I knocked up myself. 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,787
    ^ I think they look fantastic! I'm curious about why you haven't put the Hamley's Beefeater in the same frame as Lester though - those two seem to be ideal display companions. Although if you're being precise about theme I suppose they shouldn't be together... have I answered my own question there?
    andhegold682Onebricktoomany
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,808
    edited May 23
    That's the main issue I have with most displays for like Batman and Iron man, and even CMF and monochrome. As long as LEGO keep making them you will want them for a display and eventually the display can run out of room. (that and the larger the display case, typically the most expensive they become). Especially if you want to get a display that will keep the dust and whatnot out of them.
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 124
    edited May 29
    Not sure if these things have been seen in this thread before. This is a little three-shelf stand I saw in my local Daiso (Japanese chain with many branches here in Malaysia that sells everything for the same price of MYR5.90- about £1.10). It just says "display stand" and the picture on the label shows toy cars but each of the shelves is exactly 20 studs wide and 4 studs deep so maybe whoever designed it had minifigures in mind. Anyway here's the shelf, its label, and a few random minifigures on it.

stluxstruddieLegogramdpa1560Heliportmak0137KLOKRIECHERjimmyp1982
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    edited May 29

https://brickset.com/sets/5006157-1/LEGO-Play-and-Display-Case

I wonder if they will make these new cases with a flat base. Even as they are, if each 8x section has a double row of 2x4 bricks, they might be useful for minifigure display.
    dpa1datsunrobbieKLOKRIECHER
    CCC said:

https://brickset.com/sets/5006157-1/LEGO-Play-and-Display-Case

I wonder if they will make these new cases with a flat base. Even as they are, if each 8x section has a double row of 2x4 bricks, they might be useful for minifigure display.
    Looks like a new color for https://brickset.com/sets/5005406-1/Ninjago-Movie-Play-Display-Case. They are my personal favorite for displaying minifigures. My only disappointment with them is that they don't really stack very well.
    LegogramKLOKRIECHER
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,344
    It also exists in red:
    LEGO Play and Display Case - Iconic Red LEGO40700001  Astra
    Both the blue and red ones are out since at least early 2019, but this is the first time [email protected] has (one of) them listed.
    datsunrobbieKLOKRIECHER
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    I had never seen the Ninjago ones. They are not really the sort of thing I look for.