How do you display minifigs?

Comments

• BromwichBromwich LondonMember Posts: 17
    Hey @jugga - yes I do work in POS. helps with this kind of thing anyway as I already work with a lot of leds and acrylic. I like the idea of using magnets. Would just need to check on fixing the glass into the front frame though as it worries me on such a big piece. 
    @Thoughtsonblocks - the door is a definite plus. I am definitely looking to upgrade mine to have one but might be part of a bigger display as I can see myself needing at least 10 of those on the wall!
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 204
    andhe said:
    Mr Gold just casually tucked on a plate.
    It's not a real Lego Mr Gold.
  • spaceinvader1979spaceinvader1979 Barcelona - CataloniaMember Posts: 48
    I'm working on how to show my SW minifig collection...600 minifig si...
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,861
    andhe said:
    Mr Gold just casually tucked on a plate.
    The subtle pan of the Lego City is a nice humble brag as well.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,331
    ^^-- neat, but would not want to have to 'dust' that)
    SumoLego
    ^^-- neat, but would not want to have to 'dust' that)
    Electric leaf blower and a shop vac with a new, dense airfilter.  (Or a hermetically sealed room - whichever you prefer.)
    Jackad7
    Mr Gold doesnt count as a CMF anyway..... lalalala <fingers in ears> and my collection is complete because of this fact / fake news
    Yes, it does.

Completionists Unite!
    Muftak1
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 609
    Mr Gold doesnt count as a CMF anyway..... lalalala <fingers in ears> and my collection is complete because of this fact / fake news
    hahaha when I read the end of this I totally heard it in the Seth Meyer/Steven Colbert/Trevor Noah/Jimmy Fallon impersonation voice :D
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,708
    SumoLego said:
    Yes, it does.

Completionists Unite!
    Completionists - they are the ones that have one Mr Gold opened and one sealed, right?
    sid3windrMuftak1SumoLegoIceCreamCloneJackad7kiki180703
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,372
    I know this one guy with a single sealed bag with 2 Mr Golds in it... now THAT's completionist.
    SumoLego
    edited July 2017
    CCC said:
    SumoLego said:
    Completionists Unite!
    Completionists - they are the ones that have one Mr Gold opened and one sealed, right?
    - Grumble Grumble -
    One for display, and one to put away.  Must get two of everything... Must get two of everything...
    YodaliciousMuftak1ThoughtsonblocksIceCreamClonemadforLEGOJackad7kiki180703
    Can't trust the children.  These will be long gone before they can fight over them.

(Or I will be able to maintain perpetual ownership over them when my consciousness is uploaded into an android body.)
    YodaliciousOnebricktoomanyandhegmonkey76madforLEGOcatwranglerJackad7kiki180703
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,523
    ^An android body? Wouldn't it be more completionist of you to have your consciousness uploaded to a Minifig body? Then you'd own a version of yourself too.
    andhegmonkey76kiki180703
    Claw hands aren't particularly attractive.  I would need to buy all new oversized tools.

andhegmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 567
    Seems like a simple way to show off figures from lego themselves:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0722TLCL4?tag=amazon0f3-21
    IceCreamCloneLegopantsstluxbluedragonkiki180703
    edited July 2017
    SumoLego said:
    Claw hands aren't particularly attractive.  I would need to buy all new oversized tools.
    And I would be pigeonholed into being the Black Panther's arch-nemesis...
    gmonkey76
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 485
    Love the Ninjago movie display case- thanks @Mynatt
    Mynatt
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 995
    Well, we used to display many of them in a candy jar....now  some are displayed in misc boxes, drawers, school projects, the garage floor...one was "found" in a dust pan, so I think it is now gently on display in a land fill :)
  • BromwichBromwich LondonMember Posts: 17
    Erm... has anyone seen the Lego compatible tape?! Just seen it and it seems amazing. Am thinking of using it for my display rather than having to glue or clip smaller bits together.
    Jackad7
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    @Bromwich There is a review on the front page: https://brickset.com/article/28697
  • Arnie1Arnie1 NevadaMember Posts: 1
    Nightfurry you should not have to spent all this cleaning or dusting your figurines. Why not enjoying them  the time and have them look to their best. A fully enclosed glass display case with lighting will help to preserve them for many years and you won't have to worry. It's a one time purchase anyway and very much worthwhile. Some two years ago I went to www.tecnodisplay.com/gl07/gl07.php and found a nice showcase that will last for many years. Saves a lot of time and the case attracts a lot of attention. 
    Jackad7
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    Arnie1 said:
    Nightfurry you should not have to spent all this cleaning or dusting your figurines. Why not enjoying them  the time and have them look to their best. A fully enclosed glass display case with lighting will help to preserve them for many years and you won't have to worry. It's a one time purchase anyway and very much worthwhile. Some two years ago I went to www.tecnodisplay.com/gl07/gl07.php and found a nice showcase that will last for many years. Saves a lot of time and the case attracts a lot of attention. 
    Wow that case looks great! How much do they cost?
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Jackad7 said:
    Arnie1 said:
    Wow that case looks great! How much do they cost?

$595 for standard finishes, $685 for premium finishes, plus extra for more lighting.  Ouch.
    Jackad7
  • james.sparhamjames.sparham Derby, UKMember Posts: 143
    Just sharing some info - IKEA no longer sell the 50x50x4.5cm "box" frames (smaller version is still available). Available elsewhere online for a 200% mark up on RRP
    Might save someone doing what I did, paying £12 for a quality background print and not having a frame to use it in :(
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 500
    Just sharing some info - IKEA no longer sell the 50x50x4.5cm "box" frames (smaller version is still available). Available elsewhere online for a 200% mark up on RRP
    Might save someone doing what I did, paying £12 for a quality background print and not having a frame to use it in :(
    man, that sucks! i was planning on picking a couple of these up at the weekend :(
    james.sparham
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    Still available in the U.S.
    james.sparham
    I just wanted to note that the Batman Display Frame is a thorough piece of garbage.  The fact it collapses every day gives my son something else to do each morning.  I'll be gluing it into a shallow shadowbox.

Thanks!
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 722
    obi_g said:
    man, that sucks! i was planning on picking a couple of these up at the weekend :(
    I picked up a couple in Edinburgh a few weeks ago so must be relatively recent that they stopped selling them.  Incidentally, they still have them listed on the website but showing OOS for online delivery and no stock at the few stores I checked .  Might be worth signing up for stock notifications in case they find some in a warehouse somewhere.
    Crisis averted! So... It turns out I wasn't given the full picture by Ikea customer services yesterday! 
    The 50x50x4.5cm Ribba frame is technically discontinued but a replacement has just started arriving. It's identical but with high quality plastic rather than glass covering it. It has a different stock code too (and only white available currently, black coming soon I'm told)
    Certainly good news for me, hopefully the Lego framing community can breathe a collective sigh of relief :-)
    vwong19stluxMuftak1Jackad7andhesnowhitiekiki180703
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 500
    edited July 2017
    Crisis averted! So... It turns out I wasn't given the full picture by Ikea customer services yesterday! 
    The 50x50x4.5cm Ribba frame is technically discontinued but a replacement has just started arriving. It's identical but with high quality plastic rather than glass covering it. It has a different stock code too (and only white available currently, black coming soon I'm told)
    Certainly good news for me, hopefully the Lego framing community can breathe a collective sigh of relief :-)
    Had a tweet from them this morning saying that there were replacements in the new catalog, but not been able to get on here til now to provide an update. Also, lakeside were the only store that had any of the old ones in stock when I checked last night!
    james.sparham
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 853
    Does anyone, besides @BrickDancer display their SDCC minifigures in a manner where they are not in the plastic clam shell?
  • ccjwprongsccjwprongs UKMember Posts: 83
    Currently in the process of gathering materials to put together some Ribba display frames. Could anyone point me in the direction of suitable mounting board in the UK? Google is throwing up all sorts of options and I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole slightly.
    Hi @ccjwprongs all I use is the heaviest weight card the The Range sell. If you are creating a 50x50 Ribba frame, I sometimes use spray mount adhesive (also found in The Range) to attach it to 'back board' of the frame but rarely need it. I often have backgrounds professional printed for the 23x23 frames and thick card (60 to 80gsm) has always been sufficient. Hope that helps!
    ccjwprongs

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. Didn't pick any of these up but these were over at Micheal's. The prices may not seem as cheap as some other alternatives but on most receipts you can get a 40% / 50% off on one item in the store so you can use it on one of these.

Has someone tried to put 16 figures in a 9x9 frame?
    andheJackad7

Now this week the have a sale going on for them.
    Switchfoot55SumoLego
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I get my shadow boxes from Kohl's, cheaper than any I've seen at Michael's plus Kohl's has great coupons occassionally
    As soon as I buy a new router and table, I am going to start making my own cases and shelves for my minifigures and sets.
    Nice!!
    I mainly want to use a router to dado the shelves so I can embed the pieces into it.  I suppose I could do that with a table saw too
  • PhonegalPhonegal Bagram, AfghanistanMember Posts: 22
    Yes, that does look cleaner. You could dado with table saw but cut would go all the way across the side support unless you stopped shy of it then chiseled out the rest to ble flush. A lot more work though.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Ok, I see a ton of people making awesome looking displays....my question is, are there any premade ready to go options that work well but also don't cost an arm and a leg?  I mean just searching online they are either small cheap plastic (but still pricey) or $100+ dollar wooden ones. 
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    Local golf course was throwing this out so I snagged it. Just had a small lock which I had to take off but for free I'm not complaining.
    Legopants
    Mynatt said:
    Seems like a simple way to show off figures from lego themselves:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0722TLCL4?tag=amazon0f3-21
    Any idea when/where these will be available in the US? I ordered from Amazon a month or so ago but the order got cancelled. Now a 3rd party has them for $79.99, which is a little excessive :)
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    edited September 2017
      ^^^^  I actually just saw several of these at my local Walmart yesterday, along with Ninjago Movie Sorting boxes.  I checked the price, and it said see store associate(I assume they were not supposed to be out yet).   They are actually very nice, with thick plexiglass and the baseplates are six separate plates that attach to the shelving and can be removed.
    bluedragon
    Thank you @Goldchains
    Goldchains
  • LegogramLegogram PA USAMember Posts: 314
    The price for the Ninjago display case was $24.86 at a store in Maryland.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,449
    I bought 2 of the Ninjago Play and Display cases at Walmart today, found in the clearance aisle for $18 each.
    Legogram