Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How do you display minifigs?

atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
edited March 2011 in Collecting
I suppose the first question should really be "Do you display minifigs?", and if so "How?". I'm talking about minifig only display here, i.e. not with sets. I will post some (inevitably poor) pictures of how I do it later on tonight when I'm back at home, but in the meantime, maybe you can get a head start and discuss how you do it (pictures would be great please!)

Comments

• Jonny2scarvesJonny2scarves Member Posts: 3
    I would quite like to display mine like they do in the UK Lego stores - a massive run that looks almost like stadium seating with all the figures next to each oter on rows. Of course I would actually have to build the stand first which may be fiddly. I am interested to hear what everybody else does!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited March 2011
    I said earlier I'd post some rubbish pictures of how I display minifigs so here they are. Please forgive the truly awful pictures, I snapped them using an iPhone. I seriously need to go on a photography course and get some tips of fellow Brickset members on how to take decent photos.

I won't embed the photos directly in this post as I think there a still a few kinks in that and the forum doesn't display them correctly, but check out the attached photos at the end.

I use 8x5 custom made display cases courtesy of minifigforlife.

I also make some very simple stands and name plates for the minifigs that contain the key information for each fig.

For the CM's I use 4x4 display cases (again from minifigforlife).

By the way, I have no affiliation to minifigforlife (in case you were wondering), I just like their display cases.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,228
    Hmmm - very nice display, although given that I have close to 1700 minifigs now according to Brickset, that's an awful lot of custom cases I'd need, even allowing for duplicates...! They do look very neat, though.
    Yeah, it would cost a fortune to display them all, but I only intend to display the licensed themes and CMs. Making the stickers is the worst part, or should I say, cutting the stickers out is the worst part. I need some help to refine the technique, there must be a better way than having to scissor cut them.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,287
    Some of my sets are in a glass display case, some are on shelves attached to my wall, and some are on a bookcase and on top of my dresser. I need a better way to display them!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Very nice @atkinsar. How do you print the labels? Do they get dusty in there? I HATE dust!
    edited March 2011
    How do you print the labels? Do they get dusty in there? I HATE dust!
    I use good quality sticker paper bought off ebay, then put it through my inkjet as Glossy photo paper so it comes out dry and colourfast. The labels themselves are created using MS Visio. The display case does a pretty good job of protecting from dust actually. If anyone is at all interested I will do a proper guide on creating the labels.

That would be handy, thanks. And I'll take some photos of my 'minifig prisons' (as others have called them, made from 1x6x5 trans clear panels, later on.
  • NicJNicJ Member Posts: 4
    I have several dozen clear acrylic storage cases that I found at the Container Store (USA) that store 27 minifigs in a 3x9 pattern. Here's one of the containers set against my whiteboard. It's almost the perfect size for a 'fig, plus optionally (small) accessories.

I then store these containers in another plastic "sweater box" that holds 12 of these.image
    They look good @NicJ, do you consider them more for storage than display, or do you use for them display purposes too?
  • NicJNicJ Member Posts: 4
    I have them in storage now only because we live in a small condo. My wife and I have already agreed to have a dedicated LEGO room when we buy a house (hopefully soon!). At that point I will probably try to display them. Maybe use base-plates to keep them oriented properly.
    edited March 2011
    Here's what I'm using for the collectables at the moment, a pure LEGO solution:

My SW and others are in boxes like Nic's that I got from Amazon which are just the right size to hold 12: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KMGK20. I have about 80 of them. When I first bought them they were £1.20, then £2.00 and now they're a bit extortionate
    edited March 2011
    Try this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compartment-Crafts-Plastic-Storage-Case/dp/B000KMGK20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300307569&sr=1-1

They are a polythene based plastic, rather than hard polystyrene so even if the figs rattle about a bit they come to no harm :-)

If you can get the panels from a Brickish bulk buying opportunity, about 50p.
    edited March 2011
    That Amazon link isn't working @Huw, can you try again, I'd like to see what you use. Very nice display case for the CMs, what would estimate the cost in bricks to be?

Here's something that my friend @kempo81 built and gave to me, I only have the one:
    Saw this on A Modular Life blog today:

http://amodularlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/display-cases-for-minifigs/
    Ha ! I ordered 40 of those earlier today !
    Cool, have you got a nice display in mind?
    Nah - I just got sick of my collectible minifigs and shiny SW figs getting dusty, so thought I'd splash out on some display cases for some of them.
    btw, thanks a bunch for your help earlier. There is one major stumbling block that I'm struggling to overcome, starts with w, ends with e!
  • TervlonTervlon Member Posts: 23
    Saw this on A Modular Life blog today:

http://amodularlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/display-cases-for-minifigs/
    Ha ! I ordered 40 of those earlier today !
    The clear plastic looks cloudy to me, I'm eager to see reviews on the cases.

Emma has sent me a sample and I'll be reviewing tomorrow.
    edited March 2011
    btw, thanks a bunch for your help earlier. There is one major stumbling block that I'm struggling to overcome, starts with w, ends with e!
    :-) Understood. Most unlikely to be impressed, I'm afraid......!
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    Here's one way, which I saw at Brickshelf:
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4841016
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    That's cool...needs a lot of bricks and parts , though.
    How about this, which I saw at EB
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53002
    I think that's fantastic, I wouldn't mind giving something like that a go myself.

edited March 2011
    I've tried the dome display cases from minifigforlife. The problem was you can't put too many accessories. My Jedi knights couldn't hold their lightsabers.
    I've tried the dome display cases from minifigforlife. The problem was you can't put too many accessories. My Jedi knights couldn't hold their lightsabers.
    Yeah I've got a few of those too, just to try them out.

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    What about these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lego-minifigure-STAND-harry-potter-spiderman-starwars-/270739404477?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item3f095376bd#ht_1232wt_1002

(BTW, this is not my auction, or anyone I know, I am merely posting it to inform, other members.)
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2011
    I think the point with displaying figures is to keep them from getting dusty. I've seen those clear stands on ebay before and thought - "It's just another thing to get noticeably dusty!"
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,206
    Wow, sorry, but I think those little containers (http://amodularlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/display-cases-for-minifigs/) are too expensive.. For that kind of money you can make your own display cases, OR just go to a hobby store and buy a collectable die cast car case (like a 1/24th scale) and just build little bleachers like someone else did (I forgot who posted that)
    I mean, spend (in US dollars) almost 3 bucks per x16=$48 US dollars to display minifigs vs. 15 dollars for a collectable car case and about another 5 bucks for parts to make the bleachers to stand then on to stop them from falling all over the place. I only buy clear cases to display my Collectable figs anyway.. If I were to try to place all of my figs individually It would take MANY cases.. AS is I have about 8 part cases from hardware stores holding most of my figures in bunches.. I do kind of worry about them rubbing against each other but I just do not have the room to have a ton of cases of each fig I have...
  • pyrokldpyrokld Member Posts: 11
    I was inspired by http://www.flickr.com/photos/notenoughbricks/5393265213/ and found some similar 1/64 scale truck display cases at my local Hobby Lobby. Works great!
  • indy1973indy1973 Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2011
    They do not all each have to be in a separate little jail cell. Sixteen or twenty in one shadowbox looks best. I definitely think the method that Orthobotrex pointed out is the generally nicest so far. Here it is again...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4841016

To make it work better for minifigs with capes and back-wear, etc, you could simply build a small ledge for each fig, or for each row of figs... I think attaching to the back of the legs with studs-forwards is best.

The way I am designing it, each figure's ledge would cost 66 cents on Pick-A-Brick.

You could display 16 figs for $30 grand total, including the shadowbox and baseplate.
    edited April 2011
    Here is my prototype. The ledges will be attached to a 32x32 base-plate (I will spray paint the base-plate black) and I think that should all fit perfectly inside of a 12"x12"x1.5" deep shadowbox from Target or the craft store.

Notice that there are spaces to fit the bottom edges of capes, and I think they should be able to wear back-wear and big head-pieces too, maybe with an extra spacer. The standard figs will all attach at the back of the legs, which I think is more secure.

It also shows a modified pedestal for a figure with short legs. Short legs have to attach at the bottom, so I used a 1x2 Technic brick, with 2 blue Technic stud-pins in it. Sorry I do not have the LDD file posted, but it would be way cheaper to get it on Pick-A-Brick anyway.

I will make one for good guys and one for the villains! =)
  • CephaserCephaser Member Posts: 18
    The idea above is like what I use. I got two glass fronted display cases on eBay and have two sets of minifigs in each. this is the case:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110644126490

Unfortunately the seller isn't seem to be selling them at the moment - just star wars displays for one figure. I will take some pictures and post them when I get a minute. I was thinking of trying to make my own version of the wall mounted ones. Does anyone know a good place to buy the deep picture frames?
    edited April 2011
    ^Yes, that is a super example, Cephaser! Grey looks good, or you can paint the plate black.

If you visit or surf to one of the bigger arts/crafts/framing emporiums like Michael's or Pearl Art & Craft (both in the USA) you can get shadow boxes with 1.75 inches of usable depth inside. That should give them enough room so they can hold their weapons and accessories in their hands, and you can pose their arms a bit more. You can get standard sized shadow boxes right off the shelf for about $30-$60, or you can go to the Custom Framing Counter in the back and custom order them with any kind of frame and any dimensions and depth you choose for about $150.

And attention, for those of you with ***WIVES***, if you get them framed nicely in elegant shadow-boxes, they will probably even let you hang them up in the hallway where company can see them... She might even warm up to "the hobby" a bit...

...Imagine, no more hiding your secret passion back in the "Dedicated Lego Room"! ;)
    edited April 2011
    Note: be sure to ask them what the "usable dimensions inside the frame" and the "usable depth between the backboard and the glass" will be...

1.5 inches of "usable depth inside" should be enough for all accessories and headgear.

If you do something, post a pic!
    Or, for a pre-made option, this one would work well, perhaps hung vertically, with two 32x32 base plates inside.

http://www.michaels.com/Pennant-Shadowbox/fr0533,default,pd.html?cgid=products-framing-shadowboxes&start=3

It has 1.5 inches of usable depth under the glass.
    Wow! Quadruple post....

The "Pennant Shadowbox" from www.michaels.com could fit two Extra Large 48x48 baseplates, and hold a whopping 120 figs!

Hung vertically, it would be a Monolith 'o' Minifigs!
  • NightfuryNightfury Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2011
    Here is my new solution for minifig display. There is no glass covering to protect against dust but I feel that is a welcomed exchange for being able to have them displayed more 3 dimensionally. Obviously I will end up needing to buy a lot more of these but it is one of my many options for display.

I used a 16"x11.5" Idea-Ology Configurations Print Tray from Archivers. The great thing about this is you can change the configuration of the individual boxes. I used scrapbook paper for backgrounds to the boxes.

You can find other views of the project on my Flikr account.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nightfury21/5666360176/in/set-72157626601505716/
    knooseandheBuild_With_Bricks
  • thesinisterpenguinthesinisterpenguin Member Posts: 96
    ^ That is incredible!! Great work!
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited April 2011
    ^^ The mime is the best! I was cracking up. That's a really cool display, although as you've pointed out you'll have to deal with dust eventually.
    Great work! Love the interactive posing concept.

And again, this looks like a perfect way to get ***WIVES AND GIRLFRIENDS*** into the hobby a little bit, or get them to warm up to it. Girls love to go to the craft store and put little momentos into nice frames. I think they are hard-wired for it! =)

If you make it match her existing decor, she will surely reward you!

Have Fun! ;)

Indy Out
  • colethegeekcolethegeek Member Posts: 12
    Nightfury- I love it! The fact that every box has it's own background is brilliant. My favorite is the ghost/bio-hazard one... although the Batman one is amazing too!
    @the_real_indy

I am the wife/girlfriend! I'm also the minifigure collector. I also have more LEGO items in my home "decor" than anything else.

P.S. If girls can play with LEGO then boys can go to craft stores. :)
    Prin12s
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2011
    i just use a 32 x 32 baseplate which equally spaces out 30 figs and put them in a display vitrine
    Very nice @Nightfury, very creative. I would have a think about whether there's any way you can make it dust proof though without spoiling the overall effect.
    I'm not that worried about it. It's nothing a makeup brush can't fix when they get dusty.
  • RogueRogue Member Posts: 27
    Nice job, @Nightfury! Looks great! :D
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    @Nightfury If you dust regularly. If you don't, you might have to be more aggressive with the cleaning.