Nearly 1 billion pieces.

MarkeyMarkey Member Posts: 69
edited October 2012 in Brickset.com
Just noticed on the home page, all members together own over 999million pieces. We probably get to 1B before end of the weekend :)
Eric

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    I've been keeping an eye on that, too! We will probably reach that milesone today. I'll do a news story when it does so.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,767
    I wonder how many minifigures we own collectively and what country its equivalent to.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    updated my collection but still not quite made it :)

• jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I updated my collection as well, but the numbers haven't updated.
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    edited October 2012
    ^same here, figure I added about 25k pieces. Front page still says 999,821,741
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Must not update in real time, maybe just once a day? I've done a big lot too... hopefully our combined efforts will have done it!!
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    I've added the 22k pieces that I have in recognizable sets to my collection, and the count is still the same.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited October 2012
    I've just added some sets totaling an additional 50k. I'm thinking between all of us we have enough now. My total is also over the million mark now :)
    edited October 2012
    Still 999,821,741
    When does it update, Huw?

^ PS, congrats! Are you going to have a 'million party'?
    (I really think people should be doing this!)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    edited October 2012
    I assume it updates once a day.

Anyway, all your efforts have paid off as we're now over 1,000,000,000 !
    (1,001,103,807)

Just think what we could build with that !

Although a slightly more sobering question : how many are sealed in MISB sets...? I know a fair number of mine are, although probably/hopefully less than 50%
  • MarkeyMarkey Member Posts: 69
    Good work all on getting this amazing milestone.

I have about 150K pieces, and I think 20% sealed :)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,829
    do the extra little bits get counted or does it just tally the numbers on the box?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258

do the extra little bits get counted or does it just tally the numbers on the box?

The extras don't count towards the total.
    Im sure I saw a stat somewhere about how many Lego pieces there are on average per person in the world - if we had this, we could work out what percentage of the world's Lego is in Brickset.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    As of August 30, 2011, the Telegraph reported, "485 bilion - Number of pieces of Lego which have been made since the company was started." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8360246/Lego-in-numbers.html

I believe that means the documented inventories of Brickset users accounts for .2% of the pieces manufactured. By the time you factor in another year of production, undocumented loose pieces, duplicate sets, extra pieces, and pieces destroyed, this probably does not accurately reflect the number of Lego pieces owned by Brickset users.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 781
    485 billion sounds... well... not accurate. I would have thought that it was even more than that even back more than a year ago.

@Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK
    I remember reading on a PAB box promo I got some years ago that the average amount of bricks per person was around 80. It was covered in a bunch of other interesting facts as well. I wish that I hadn't thrown it away.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Keep in mind the 485 Billion number is just an estimate, LEGO has not been keeping accurate track the entire time.

So it probably isn't accurate, but it also probably isn't off by an order of magnitude either...
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    Is the 1 Billion piece number based on unique sets, or if someone has multiples of the same set then all owned copies count towards the total? The delta between the two is quite significant.
    ^ it includes multiples

We have more minifigs between us (6 425 000) than there are people in Denmark (5,587,085) :o)