Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

Problems buying at TRU

technicaltactics2technicaltactics2 Member Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in Shopping Elsewhere
When I need to get a set quickly, its a pain to drive 20 min. to the local LEGO store. This forces me to shop at TRU. TRU has a great selection of LEGOs and i can easily find what I'm looking for there, but I have problems with TRU. Many times theres BOGO deals, I go in, and pick up the set. At checkout, the person at the cash register tells me that theres no BOGO deal, even though commercials advertsed one that started the day I came.
Of course, I let em' get the best of me and walk out annoyed, holding the set under my arm. When I get home, I watch TV, and eventually, the same commercial is advertised, advertising the BOGO deal! Has anyone else had these types of problems with TRU?

Comments

• YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Well a deal like that would be in their weekly flyer. The have their flyers on hand usually a week or two before their dated. So if you're an employee you can view flyers a week ahead of time. But since that occurs there's no reason they should tell you they have no knowldge of the deal. They should know... that's weird.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    Are you sure your not seeing the commercials on programs you dvr'd like 2 weeks ago? just sayin :-)
  • technicaltactics2technicaltactics2 Member Posts: 12
    I fast forward when I watch a DVR'd program. I mostly watch Americas Funniest Videos, which is a show showing funny videos of people, well, failing is what I can say, lol. I see these TRU commercials alot durring the evening news, so I'm positive.
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    Technicaltactics2, that happens to everyone I think. Most recently (couple months ago), I bought 2 small City impulse sets. They were up for either or both of two promotions they had running. One was a BOGO, and one was half off a City set. The cashier tried to say if it's impulse sized, it doesn't count as a themed set. You can bet what my reaction was to that. The thing says "City" right on it, clear as day. I've had experiences similar to that in the past as well. In fact, pretty much every time they have a BOGO deal, it doesn't ring up as such, and I have to stop them and then they poke around in their computer monitor for a while to find out what I'm talking about.

There are other problems with TRU as well. It seems they aren't giving me any TRU bucks for the 2/1-4/30 period, even though I spent hundreds of dollars. For last period, they never emailed me about the TRU bucks and I almost had 5 free dollars expire on me.

So yeah, TRU is shady. Make sure you go informed, and go in with a printout of their flyer. I wish there was a way to get a snail-mail flyer just in case they try to raise an issue with a flyer ad printed from the internet. Hmm.
  • pookiepookie Member Posts: 155
    Don't even let me start on TRU bucks. One day its shows I have $20 in bucks then 1 week later I have $0.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 269
    I've had a number of issues as well with the TRU "rewards" but it seems like the coupons show up as available about 6 weeks after the last day of the month when amount was purchased. If you use any kind of promotion or coupon, the "Qualifying dollars" are half of what you spend.

You can print the certificates from the website (rewardsrus.toysrus.com), which helps because they usually expire 2 weeks after you get them. The site does keep track of purchases so you can check to make sure you get credit.

In summary, they are nothing like the Lego rewards which don't expire, but when it comes, I see it as a bonus that gets me a free impulse set.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    edited May 2011
    When I need to get a set quickly, its a pain to drive 20 min. to the local LEGO store. This forces me to shop at TRU. TRU has a great selection of LEGOs and i can easily find what I'm looking for there, but I have problems with TRU. Many times theres BOGO deals, I go in, and pick up the set. At checkout, the person at the cash register tells me that theres no BOGO deal, even though commercials advertsed one that started the day I came.
    Of course, I let em' get the best of me and walk out annoyed, holding the set under my arm. When I get home, I watch TV, and eventually, the same commercial is advertised, advertising the BOGO deal! Has anyone else had these types of problems with TRU?
    These complaints occur all the time about TRU's. I had what appeared to be an assistant manager inform me that the Series 3 figs I wanted were not on BOGO50 (back a few months ago) and it took a manager with a handheld scanner to confirm they were, in fact, BOGO50.... I took a coupon into a TRU to use and they declined it, saying it was used already, but others got to use the same coupon at other TRU's.. Remember, these are RETAIL store employees(sorry if I am being insulting to anyone who is a retail employee).. Usually getting paid very little and therefore do not know or care to know about sales and such.. they go by the scanner only, or sometimes a gut feeling, or sometimes what could be personal opinion.. Ask two different employees at a TRU (and other retailers for that matter) and you most likely will get two different answers....
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    edited May 2011
    Don't even let me start on TRU bucks. One day its shows I have $20 in bucks then 1 week later I have $0.
    Are you sure it was a glitch or the end of the period where they send you your coupon and it resets online?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I'll admit that the TRU rewards are kinda sketchy. Firstly, anything purchased in January doesn't count towards any rewards. Secondly, the corrent oromotion is $5 in rewards bucks for every $150 spent. And if you spend $299.99, still only $5. I would pretty much write off the rewards bucks until Thanksgiving / Christmas where it will likely return to 10% back and more reasonable waypoints.

As for their BOGO promotions, their scanners are nearly always right so let their scanners do the talking. Every once in a while, a promotion will have min/max prices but most of the time all applicable sets no matter the size will work. As I recall, some impulse sets didnt qualify on the last couple BOGO promotions as there was another concurrent promotion just for them.
  • trypticontrypticon Member Posts: 61
    I've had the same poblem with Toys "R" Us in the past with a sale on collector Barbie Dolls for my fiance. The commercials for the sale had been on TV for more than a week advertising the day I went in as the doorbuster sale, and when I went in, nobody in the store, and I asked about everyone who was on shift that day, knew what I was talking about.