Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Community Perspective on Reselling

Comments

• Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379

Interesting that it says 23 billion dollars in sales, I wonder what timeframe that is meant to be in? According to TLG's annual report, they did just over $4 billion in sales last year.

As for investors, I totally get that it takes in demand product and sometimes makes it hard to find, it does also make it hard for TLG to estimate sales and plan production.

The mistake being made is trying to ban us. They can't do so, it just isn't within their power. What they should be doing is working with us, then they could plan sales and production better.

As it stands, TLG is just tilting at windmills...

It may just be a problem with translation. $4 billion USD translates to approximately $23 billion Danish Krones depending on the exchange rate.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    ^Wasn't this rectified twice before?
    LegoFanTexas
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Remember @pitfall, some of us are on Pacific Coast time. ;o)
    LegoFanTexas
    Nice try ;)
    LegoFanTexas
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Okay, I think it's quite clear what TLG's reaction is on resellers. They seem to have made up their mind for now and have decided to not allow discounts on sets they find prone to hoarding by resellers and try to push their retail partners to do the same.

It seems to be USA only for now, wonder when it reaches Europe. Cutting online only ITD's discount to 20% might be a move because of similar reasons though. They must have thought that there are too many online sales with everything constantly being able to be purchased for at least 10% off somewhere.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited August 2013

If TLG thinks it will dictate terms to Walmart, they are out of their minds...

But You feel entitled to dictate terms to TLG....

I don't understand the continued attacking LFT gets on this. Sure he's opinionated, and he writes way too many notes, many in direct succession (you do :), so perhaps he calls it upon himself. Regardless, he's a smart guy who embraces who he is and what he does with passion, and beyond that, he actually tosses out ideas for people to chew on. Some of his ideas are out there, but others are rock solid. Bottom line is that he's a contributor, and that's the most vital kind of user for this or any forum.

In his defense, he is not dictating terms to TLG, he's stated quite clearly that there are two scenarios that I will paraphrase below:

1) TLG does nothing, and current resellers will do what they do now.

2) TLG does something, and current resellers may do something different.

As the unofficial reseller spokesman, LFT has not decreed anything to TLG other than reality, as in resellers are not going away, nor will any policies levied by TLG make them go away, ever. The resellers will simply adapt, taking whatever actions they must to ensure their survival, whether TLG likes it or not.

Me, I don't think TLG should embrace resellers as partners, but they shouldn't vilify them either. I don't know what they are striving for, and can only assume via their actions over the past couple years that they aren't in favor of reselling. I honestly think they have no idea which path to take because each one has pros and cons, with no one path standing out as the clear winner. It appears that they are tweaking things here and there, but not actually taking a hard stance one way or another. It would be nice to get an official message from them on their actual plan, but I don't see that coming anytime soon, mostly because I don't think they yet know it themselves.

And, as for the concept of refusing discounting of items in that "exclusive" list, I don't know if it's another salvo being tossed at resellers, but I do think regardless of the rationale behind it, it's ridiculous, and will only serve to hurt TLG's overall sales.
    nkx1Pitfall69LegoFanTexasdougtsBlueMoonUSA
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,480
    tensor said:

There is a third scenario, that TLG does something (dialogue with resellers) and resellers take that up and still do what they do now, when it suits them.
    Pitfall69
    edited August 2013
    CCC said:

tensor said:

There is a third scenario, that TLG does something (dialogue with resellers) and resellers take that up and still do what they do now, when it suits them.
    Of course, which is why I wrote "may" in the second one. Even if TLG chooses to do something, that doesn't mean that it will actually accomplish anything, especially if it's viewed as useless or disingenuous.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^Even at full RRP in US, there is still a market for international selling (as stated before).

-"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

The fact is...it's a vicious cycle, and it feeds bad press. People who are inclined to break the rules, yet fear them...are ever more encouraged by rulebreakers who succeed. Again, restating what's already been said: I'm not sure TLG REALLY REALLY REALLY hates most reselling activitiy, even on current sets.

Slap the biggest around for show, but still ignore limit abuse. It's all one PR mixed message. You speed 5 mph over the limit, we'll wink and nod. You go 20 mph over, and brag to your friends? We'll ban you from that one road we're watching (take the side roads).
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    CCC said:

That has been brought up before.

The counter point to it is simply that resellers don't have unlimited resources. Every dollar they spend directly with TLG is a dollar they aren't spending doing what they do now.
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    tensor said:

If TLG thinks it will dictate terms to Walmart, they are out of their minds...

But You feel entitled to dictate terms to TLG....
    I don't understand the continued attacking LFT gets on this.
    I'm tired of the same fodder being used to justify a behavior that's in the interest of a few at the expense of the many.

If I quote @Lft - I'm bashing him. If I say "resellers" I'm generalizing.

I find it a bit odd that the most adamant resellers have the ability to dominate some of these threads but as soon as some of the individuals on the opposite side of the argument pipe up - @princedraven - we're equally chastised.

That is a perfectly good view to take and resellers need not apologise for doing it. Which is fine, but then they should also admit (if only to themselves) that they view tickets / lego / whatever as a commodity above all else.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @CCC - I understand where you are coming from, and that is a murky area for me. I certainly have some sets I view that way, but I have others that I wouldn't sell unless the price was outlandishly ridiculous. There are some of my sets (CC and GG come to mind), that I wouldn't sell at market price. I have others that I am not emotionally attached to.

I would admit that I see Lego as a commodity at times, but I would not say that I see it as a commodity above all else.
    edited August 2013
    CCC said:

That is a perfectly good view to take and resellers need not apologise for doing it. Which is fine, but then they should also admit (if only to themselves) that they view tickets / lego / whatever as a commodity above all else.

This is a ridiculous pigeonholing. That's like saying that the ticket sellers could never possibly enjoy a concert themselves, or if someone owns a candy store, they could never enjoy a Snickers bar, because by selling the "commodity," they have chosen the almighty dollar as their sole idol. I resell, but I also build with my sons wonderful things with our collection, or simply for myself. I don't have to choose one single thing that I hold "above all else."

I'm a reseller. I'm a builder. If anyone has a problem with that duality, that's a YP.
    dougtsnkx1YellowcastleFollowsCloselyPitfall69wagnerml2Cam_n_Stucardgenius
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    CCC said:

It's not an either or. I have a large personal LEGO collection that I don't view as a commodity in any way. I also have a stack of sealed sets that I do view as a commodity for later sale. These two groups of LEGO are completely different things to me. I'm both a hardcore LEGO enthusiast, and a small-time reseller (100% of my profits go to buying LEGO for my personal collection).

It's not a black or white option here...

LegoFanTexasnkx1FollowsCloselyTheLoneTensorwagnerml2Cam_n_Stucardgenius
    ^ What they all said... I love LEGO as a collector/builder, and I love LEGO as a business person.

The two are not incompatible.
    nkx1FollowsClosely
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2013
    wagnerml2 said:

And explain to me how it is in the interest of the few?

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

The "game" is causing all sort of changes to TLG's policy to the entire consumer base - resellers, collectors, & little Timmy. The general lack of responsibility that the reselling community has accepted in these changes it what bothers me, and then with some resellers openly admitting to further abusing the system is going too far.

I can't open a single thread about new set "x" without 15 comments better suited in be predictions thread. The reselling dominance on this forum has spread throughout the forum like a virus.
    margot
    You're right. I should have set that particular set bought for the sole purpose of resale is a commodity, not all Lego.

Just like the guy buying 50 tickets. He cannot enjoy them all, they are a commodity.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    LegoFanArgos?
    SirKevbagssidersddLegoFanTexas

^ What they all said... I love LEGO as a collector/builder, and I love LEGO as a business person.

The two are not incompatible.

But you would still sell a set if it reaches $x rather than build it. Which means the set you love as a collector is a commodity.

Taking that further, you could only love a set enough to keep it if it doesn't rise much in value. Otherwise when it rises you get rid of it for the money.

That's not aimed specifically at you lft but to the reseller in us all.

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,241
    edited August 2013
    CCC said:

Taking that further, you could only love a set enough to keep it if it doesn't rise much in value. Otherwise when it rises you get rid of it for the money.

I would state that as:
    Me said:

Taking that further, you could only love a set enough to keep it if it doesn't rise much in value. Otherwise when it rises you get rid of it to buy bigger and better Lego sets.

^ I don't think it matters that you buy more Lego with it. The set somehow becomes less worthwhile keeping than whatever replaces it.
    I think all things that have value are treated differently. We have this fine china that we got for our wedding gift. We will be married for 11 years this Friday. I asked my wife when are we going to use the china and she said "What...and get it all scratched up and damaged?"
    FollowsCloselyYellowcastle
    And when she finds out it is worth $2k it becomes ... Maybe we should get rid of it and replace it with something else.
    ^It is crazy @CCC. She also has expensive jewelry that she doesn't wear for fear that she will lose it or misplace it.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    CCC said:

^ I don't think it matters that you buy more Lego with it. The set somehow becomes less worthwhile keeping than whatever replaces it.

Perhaps it is true for you, not necessarily for everyone else.

So the argument becomes what kind of tangible value one puts in their possessions. Just because person A puts $3000 valuation on #10179 and person B puts OMGIwillneverpartwithit valuation, does not mean either one is less than the other. It is just a matter of perspective.

I do believe though that operations on a commercial scale are not relevant here at Brickset. This was created as a hobby site to enjoy and share LEGO, not balance sheets of a company. Now before I'm thrown to the slaughter for attacking @LegoFanTexas this isn't aimed at him personally. He has a business to run and I wish him every success in doing do. I would feel no different to if Wallmart or Argos signed up for an account.

Question... If the toy buyer for Walmart did create an account and started being a part of the conversation, sharing some info about what they were doing and what was selling and not, and perhaps even posting upcoming clearance deals, would you not be happy with that?

I would think such a thing would be welcomed, it would provide early access to information and deals to the community.
    chromedigi
    Let's consider the concept of "making money" for a moment...

People sell stocks for one main reason - to make money
    People work at a hardware store for one main reason - to make money
    People work as a doctor for one main reason - to make money

Now, those people may truly enjoy what they do, but if you take away the money, guess what? 99% of those people wouldn't be doing those things any more. Do I degrade a fireman his honor by the fact that he gets a paycheck? No, I support his right to do whatever gainful thing he wants so that he can make money for him and his family.

Lego is not some pure, angelic entity born out of the love of children as much as it was an avenue for one unemployed guy to make some money to feed his family. It's there to make people money. It made Ole money, it made Kjeld a LOT of money and it makes a lot of people around the world money, money and more money. And, the only reason it made money is because people ended up loving those little plastic bricks. Why then, is it so bad that resellers get their piece of the pie? If nothing else, I think it's a great thing that someone can marry their hobby and a profitable endeavor in the same venture. How many people can say that? Ole did it with his woodworking, after all.

Lastly, I think contrary to what some believe, the vast majority of resellers are fans, and true ones at that. I would go so far as to write that only a tiny percentage, like < 5%, are strictly in it for the money. You have to be a true maven to be able to pick winners. There is much more to it than simply skimming forums like these or following a site like brickpicker to choose winners. Lego resellers who don't have the hobby in them, are not long for the market.

I wish there weren't people against reselling, but there are. I don't really understand them or their motivations against resellers, but I do respect their right to express them in a non-threatening manner. Also, as much as it can be tiring debating some of this stuff, I do love doing it because honestly, I want to understand people that don't agree with me, because that helps me better understand my own point of view for better or for worse.
    nkx1indigoboxgreenwithenvyvitreolumlegomattchromedigi
    CCC said:

But you would still sell a set if it reaches $x rather than build it. Which means the set you love as a collector is a commodity.

That's not aimed specifically at you lft but to the reseller in us all.

Consider that I don't stop loving a set, just because I sell it.

I still love the UCS Falcon. If they dropped in price or rereleased it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

It just becomes a question of what to do with limited resources. I can keep that super expensive set, or sell it and buy a lot more sets. That is just a personal choice.

#10030 - UCS ISD is still in my front hallway, I love that set, beautiful set... But if it ever hits $2K, I'll sell it and buy something else. Doesn't mean I don't love the set, just means that I get to build 10 more big sets and love those too!
    Yellowcastle
    edited August 2013
    Here's an interesting game.

Go to the front page and look at the random set. Skip it if you don't recognise it within 3 seconds.

If you recognise it, what is the first thought in your mind? Do it as many times as you can.

It really shows you what your view is, although that will of course vary from set to set. So do it many times to average.

If FB comes up, do you think I love that set, the old style engine or I remember modifying it to fit a more modern engine but keeping the old style building. Or do you think I have 18 of those or that set has been out x years and I got my stock for y% off on average. And as an after thought I also like the set.

Some sets maybe bring back building memories as the first thought, some sets may even bring back a certain countdown as a first memory. That really tells you that you view a set as a commodity.

I know when I see Capt America, I think $$$, as I bought 20 or so of them for less than £3 each, knowing from the instant I bought them that I was going to sell or trade them away. Of course I kept one, but my memories of it are as a commodity.

Endor battle pack, I remember getting a £2 price match then JL refusing an order of 25 of them, so I had to buy elsewhere at about £4 a piece instead to build a stormie army. The set itself is not the first thing in my mind. It is how much I could have made but didn't.

Whereas even cheap sets like the batman jetski, I know it was cheap but the first thought is of me and my eldest son racing to build it. I don't think what a deal it was, I think of the build. Come to think of it, I sold a couple at probably 500% markup but I don't really think about the profit made, that set is not a commodity to me.

Fortunately most sets for me trigger memories of the build or play rather than x years at y discount at z stock levels.

And this is the problem when other people's comments spill over into non selling threads. There are some sets I love building but if I see it I can't help thinking of Mr X that posted photos of his haul of 42 of them for no other reason than to show off how much money he will make. I know sometimes (probably most times) it is mot meant to be offensive, but it can cloud others people's memories of a set. It does turn the set into a commodity.

I admire someone that can build a set like DS and love it even if they have X of them sitting in the cupboard waiting to make Y% before they will sell them and for that not to cloud their feelings of the set. Imagine if a new DS came out straight away and resale of the old one bombs. Do you still love the set, or had the fact that it was a commodity that went wrong ruined it? The set itself hasn't changed.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,027
    @LegoFanTexas That is a good question

On the surface it would be good although I would prefer it to be Argos because those trans Atlantic flights really do kill a deal ;-)

Looking further though my cynical nature tells me that one it would never happen officially from such a company because the information would be to sensitive. Two I fear once it was known such knowledge was available here every man and his dog would be lurking even more than they are now. Therefore reducing the chances of collectors getting deals even further.
    CCC said:

Here's an interesting game.

Go to the front page and look at the random set. Skip it if you don't recognise it within 3 seconds.

If you recognise it, what is the first thought in your mind? Do it as many times as you can.

I'm a fan first, reseller second.

If I won the PowerBall tomorrow, I'd give away my inventory to children and keep playing with these fun plastic bricks.

The reselling is a job, something to do to take care of my family, but I remain a fan at heart. I still look at even the dud sets with, "boy that looks cool!"

Even the old POP sets like Battle of Alamut looks cool to me. No, it isn't worth much from a reseller point of view, but I think the set looks cool.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    Im not sure if it was deliberate or not but Legos recent policy changes, particularly those hitting afols (ie Lugs etc), seem bound to drive a further wedge between resellers and non. This is particularly interesting given the widespread acceptance of fans buying the odd extra to fund the hobby from which some have progressed to a much higher level of reselling.
    edited August 2013
    ^^^ @lft - sorry, cannot reply properly on phone.

You may love it, but if you know the price you'd sell it for, it is a commodity rather than something that is a collectable. I have some sets that I'd probably sell if I got a high offer. But I don't know what that offer is. I haven't actively thought about the price that it would take for me to get rid of it.

At least, that is how I view regarding something as a collectable and something as a commodity. They can both be loved but if you put a price on one of them, you are already thinking in terms of commodities.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    @CCC I cannot see how one has to be mutually exclusive to the other. Just because I sold several Lloyd spinners last year did not change the fact that I gave one for my son for his birthday or lessen the enjoyment we had playing with the spinners. To me, each copy of that set served their individual purpose just fine.
    LegoFanTexasFollowsClosely
    edited August 2013

wagnerml2 said:

And explain to me how it is in the interest of the few?

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

The "game" is causing all sort of changes to TLG's policy to the entire consumer base - resellers, collectors, & little Timmy. The general lack of responsibility that the reselling community has accepted in these changes it what bothers me, and then with some resellers openly admitting to further abusing the system is going too far.

I can't open a single thread about new set "x" without 15 comments better suited in be predictions thread. The reselling dominance on this forum has spread throughout the forum like a virus.
    The "game" is causing changes to TLG's policy to the entire customer base? Is that really true? It seems to me that the person who only wants one or two of any set is unaffected by any of the policy changes. The policy changes have only address issues of instances where TLG seems to want to limit the larger number of available product to a single buyer. I'm not sure how this policy really concerns anyone except the large bulk buyer. How in the world does this affect little Timmy or just the run of the mill collector, for that matter. The larger bulk buyers and resellers are affected, but again, aren't they the target? Face it, most frequenters of [email protected] are completely and wholly unaffected by the policy changes we are talking about here.

As to your second comment, I guess I am oblivious. I do not see the number of comments being attributed to aftermarket values on many threads. I really think people have become way to sensitive to this issue.

I didn't buy any #41999. Frankly, I was on vacation and purposefully didn't have access to a computer. By the time I got back, 5 days later, they were all sold. Would I have bought my 2 and flipped them? Yes. Am I mad at you or anyone else because they got theirs and either kept them or sold them? No. Absolutely not. I had every opportunity to buy the set with everyone else and I missed out. I am not entitled to one and neither is anyone else. If a buyer/collector wants and exclusive, especially one like #41999, then they need to get in line with everyone else. Those sets are designed to cause a feeding frenzy. That is not the fault of the re-seller, that is the fault of TLG.

LegoFanTexasFollowsCloselyvitreolum
    edited August 2013

I used the ticket tout/scalper example a few pages back and a real life example is being brought up now. @wagnerml2 you have bought the tickets recently. I've done the same myself in the past. Would you though be happy to "socialise" with the scalper? I know I wouldn't personally.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I actually did socialize with the scalper. A guy and his girlfriend each bought their allotment of 4 tickets each to the concert. They kept a pair for themselves and sold the rest on CL. I don't know what they charged everyone else, but I paid twice face value. I actually sat next to them and they were quite pleasant. They also seemed to really enjoy the concert, as did my wife, and because my wife did, so did I ;).
    LegoFanTexasFollowsClosely
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,027
    @wagnerml2 Not snarky in the slightest :-)
    edited August 2013
    wagnerml2 said:

I used the ticket tout/scalper example a few pages back and a real life example is being brought up now. @wagnerml2 you have bought the tickets recently. I've done the same myself in the past. Would you though be happy to "socialise" with the scalper? I know I wouldn't personally.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I actually did socialize with the scalper. A guy and his girlfriend each bought their allotment of 4 tickets each to the concert. They kept a pair for themselves and sold the rest on CL. I don't know what they charged everyone else, but I paid twice face value. I actually sat next to them and they were quite pleasant. They also seemed to really enjoy the concert, as did my wife, and because my wife did, so did I ;).
    Reading between the lines here, I surmise two things about @wagnerml2

1) He's not a big Bruno Mars fan
    2) He loves his wife

I completely understand :)

wagnerml2LegoFanTexasFollowsCloselyYellowcastlelegomatt
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @CCC, collecting has many varied meanings. I like my collectibles to be worth something. Otherwise, I define that as nostalgia. Nostalgia is ok for things that hold no value, because that inherent value is in mind.

I wouldnt say that my collection is a commodity, but it holds a value. If I have a set that is worth a bundle, and I want just the build...selling MISB copy, and buying a used copy doesnt hurt my feelings. I still have something of worth, and the nostalgia to go with it.

At some point, we've all monetized our collections in some form. If you haven't, please post here. I'm really curious. So are my He-man figures that paid for my daughter's baby stuff.
    wagnerml2LegoFanTexasThanos75cardgenius
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    tensor said:

People sell stocks for one main reason - to make money
    People work at a hardware store for one main reason - to make money
    People work as a doctor for one main reason - to make money

Yes wholeheartedly on #1, maybe depending on circumstance on #2, highly doubt it on #3.

It would be an obvious mistake to assume most everyone is motivated by money all day every day and is the sole driver of actions & behavior. If so, you wouldn't have so many scientists, charities, pro-bono lawyers, police officers, fire fighters, artists, etc. If money was the driving factor they instead would all strive to be bankers, stock traders, investment consultants, off-shored manufacturers of doodads, oil barons, divorce lawyers, etc.

When a hobby pays the customer dividends its an easy decision and obvious to be 'a fan' as it is profitable. But what if Lego reselling didn't turn a profit on most sets after EOL and was a money-loss proposition for the most part, like almost all other hobbies. Would you still be so interested in Lego overall as you all are now?
    margotCoolsplashy2josh
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    The stereotypes are not always true... I know a #1 who does it for the fun. He is a Quant', he doesn't need the money but loves the maths. I also know a #3 who got into it for the 'right reasons' but can't bear it and claims he only keeps doing it for the money - until he has a big enough pension pot to walk away.

My local #2, seems to do it 'cos he loves being awkward with his customers and even more bizarrely a lot of them seem to love him for it! People are rarely as obvious as it appears. Very few people want to make money to have money. They want to make money to buy stuff or experiences or security or more LEGO!
    BrickDancer
    edited August 2013
    There are collectors of many different things. I realized this watching countless episodes of American Pickers and Hoarders. The big difference between the two shows is that the people in Hoarders collect things that have little or no value and in American Pickers, the things they find have apparent value and people collect these things. My Lego collection has value, sure, but you may think my Police Headquarters from 1978 is not worth that much; it is worth more to me because it was one of my first Lego sets :-)
    CCC said:

You may love it, but if you know the price you'd sell it for, it is a commodity rather than something that is a collectable. I have some sets that I'd probably sell if I got a high offer. But I don't know what that offer is. I haven't actively thought about the price that it would take for me to get rid of it.

Every collectible you own has a price on it, even if you haven't actively thought about it. Or are you suggesting that you'd rather be homeless than sell your entire LEGO collection?

When it comes right down to it, push comes to shove, everything you own has a price on it. You just choose not to sell, which is just fine, but you would if you had to.

The only things in my life that have no price attached are my wife and kids. I'll do anything for them and if one of my kids gets sick and I need money to take care of them, you can bet I'd sell everything I own and live in a cardboard box before I let one of my children die due to lack of treatment.

So to suggest that any of my LEGO is "priceless" would be absurd. Only my family is priceless, everything else is just stuff.
    Dadpharmjod
    I'm sure most people do want their collection to be worth something. But if you know and hence actively thought about the price you would sell each item for, to me, it is more commodity than collection.

wagnerml2 said:

They did exactly what people here do when they buy two copies, one to keep and one to sell, to help fund their habit.

That couple got to go for free because they were there when the tickets were sold and invested the money up front to buy the extra tickets.

Glad to hear they were nice. :)
    edited August 2013
    I don't think there is any difference between one that resells Lego to fund their hobby or one that resells Lego to make a living or make some extra money. In the sense of the word, they are both resellers regardless whether they are buying and selling 1000's of sets a year or 20.
    LegoFanTexasjasor
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited August 2013
    ^You're right, there is not much difference between the two overall and in the view of the world as a whole. But when you bring it to a Lego forum full of 'fans' of the brick, small differences are greatly magnified and picked at. And when one party feeds off the other in a one-way relationship, you see how it can get a bit awkward in reality (not based on hypothetical arguments about principals of capitalism, economics or validity to earn a living/profit). I think it simply comes down to perceived motives, whether one does it to feed their hunger or one is feeding off the hunger of others. And the hungry are not easily fooled or amused.
    aimlesspursuits
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.