Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Community Perspective on Reselling

Comments

• tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163

Not illegal, not worth getting upset over, but annoying, anti-social and just a little dickish.

Funny, I find suggesting that someone be persecuted for doing something "not illegal, not worth getting upset over" to be dickish.

To each their own I suppose.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    I had never purchased a set purely for the resale value alone until #41999 came along. I saw it in the Brighton LEGO store a few days ago and I decided that the opportunity was too great to pass up.

With this kind of set, which can be sold for a 100% profit in a matter of days, it is difficult to avoid reselling as it is such an obvious and logical move to make.
    greenwithenvy
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    A short dialogue regarding right, wrong, and opinion:

"Honey, I would never cheat on you... unless she was really pretty."

"But that's still wrong!"

"Well now, that's just your opinion. And it was only 4 extra times. After that first time."

Circumventing quantity restrictions is wrong, not quite adultery level wrong, maybe just staring-too-long wrong, or extra cookie when mom said only one. Surely she meant one per hand!

I ended up with 3 Crawlers, 2 from [email protected], 1 from LBS: one to build, one to flip, one to hold. Honestly if I had the chance I probably would have gotten more. I don't think cosmetic rationalizations about ethics do much good, as it simply highlights the moral contortions resellers resort to when attempting to appear both strictly rule-abiding and gleefully opportunistic.

In some cases it is a matter of managerial discretion, which is more easily exercised at a brick and mortar store than online. For example, a few months back there was a great TRU coupon to get a $10 gift card back on $40 purchases. "Limit one per customer." My store, however, had no problem letting me wear that thing out, happily during a BOGO50. Was I "wrong" in even attempting to exploit that opportunity? Surely, if TRU was serious about that limit it would be linked to my Rewards card and subsequent attempts automatically blocked.

This forum has thrown a lot of light on the (mal)practices of reselling and put some folks', um, creative purchasing habits under scrutiny. Are resellers going stop breaking quantity restrictions? Probably not. Should they advertise it, like the proverbial noose in the house of the hangman? Probably not, okay definitely not while insisting to be playing by the rules. But I imagine online retailers are eventually going to improve their monitoring systems and, if not solve the problem completely by eliminating the possibility, at least shrink the loopholes.

Lest my comments be misconstrued as an endorsement of cynicism (i.e. if you're going to break the rules to make more money just admit that's what you're doing and we'll all be okay since at least you're not lying), such issues are always a question of severity. Buying more than two Crawlers, taking steroids to "enhance" your game, or massacring African villages in the way of your oil pipeline are not comparable infractions of rules. Some people will buy many Crawlers while others will get none; some people are better athletes and some are GMO mutants; and some people are brutally denied basic human rights. We have our priorities straight when we talk about "accountability," right? It just so happens that here Lego is the lens through which these issues are focused, if we happen to stay on topic.
    augen
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

I must warn everyone. If you plan on defending @LegoFanTexas, prepare to be called one of his "cronies" ;)

I have "cronies"? :)

Cool... do we get a patch, or slogan, or anything? Maybe we should have a theme song! :)
    greenwithenvyBumblepantswagnerml2khmellymelCoolsplashFurrysaurus
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,764

I had never purchased a set purely for the resale value alone until #41999 came along. I saw it in the Brighton LEGO store a few days ago and I decided that the opportunity was too great to pass up.

With this kind of set, which can be sold for a 100% profit in a matter of days, it is difficult to avoid reselling as it is such an obvious and logical move to make.

You are now on the slippery slope. Spot a deal at 75% off in tescos and you know you 'll buy them for resale.

I'm not that bothered that anyone bought one or more and sells these for profit. For the simple reason I have sold some items at profit before.

Breaking limits is not clever, but again, I've done it at [email protected] before. It used to be that if you added items to your cart then logged off, added more items to your cart, and logged back in, then you could get round the limits. I know I've over-ordered CMFs when on sale that way. It seems that they have closed that flaw of their website now. Breaking limits is bad, but allowing them to be broken is just as bad if not worse.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768

Pitfall69 said:

I must warn everyone. If you plan on defending @LegoFanTexas, prepare to be called one of his "cronies" ;)

Cool... do we get a patch, or slogan, or anything? Maybe we should have a theme song! :)
    Am I the only one imagining LFT as Gru and his cronies as the minions?
    caperberrywagnerml2coachie
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    tedward said:

Not illegal, not worth getting upset over, but annoying, anti-social and just a little dickish.

Funny, I find suggesting that someone be persecuted for doing something "not illegal, not worth getting upset over" to be dickish.

To each their own I suppose.
    I agree with you right down to definition of persecuted. TLG put simple rules in place for using their service, if people refuse to play by those rules then it's hardly a persecution for that service to be denied. If a restaurant has a no naked rule I shouldn't be surprised if im not allowed to eat there starkers.

As i said, if people want to resell them fine especially if you stuck to the rules in acquiring them. But to come here gloating about how you broke the buying limit after starting an entire thread complaining how mean TLG are for banning you despite never breaking a rule is just crass.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332

Pitfall69 said:

I think Abba have already written your theme song.

The Winner Takes It All?

On and On and On?

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    edited August 2013
    ^ Dancing Queen surely?

Might be S.O.S. or Money, Money, Money though I suppose.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Money Money Money :)
  • greenwithenvygreenwithenvy Banned Posts: 32
    LegoFanTexas FTW!

His points are valid, and for all the cry babies out there I suggest you grow up. Just like concert or movie tickets you have to prepare when an announcement is made if you want to go. If you're lazy, well, cry in a forum.
    tedward
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    It seems there's always an excuse or defense mechanism to rationalize one's wrong doings (or alleged wrong doings). It's not difficult to follow the rules AND the spirit of the rules, at the same time.

Then there's the overused you-called-me-out-and-i'm-wrong-but-don't-care excuse: "Oh, fair enough. You have you're opinion and I have mine. :) :) :) smiley faces heal all."
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430

LegoFanTexas FTW!
    His points are valid, and for all the cry babies out there I suggest you grow up. Just like concert or movie tickets you have to prepare when an announcement is made if you want to go. If you're lazy, well, cry in a forum.

I didn't realize @LFT has a second brickset account.

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281

LegoFanTexas FTW!

I didn't realize @LFT has a second brickset account.

You didn't? Two Amazon's, two Lego.com, two Target... You think he'd be HERE with just one?? I kid.

Furrysaurus
    edited August 2013
    Nah. I'm just a "cronie". What anyone does with a Lego set or anything they purchase isn't anyone else's damn business. If TLG will sell me 10 sets of anything and I want to toss them in the trash or resell them is my business. If you don't like that, that's too bad. I haven't hurt you or anyone.

I can apply this scenario to anything for sale; be it hamburgers or classic cars. Stop the whining.
    Furrysaurustedward
    ^American narcissism at it's best.
    ^^ good point, except for the fact that lego didn't want to sell 10 to any one person.
    ^^ another whiner... what does my nationality have to do with your whining?

@pillpod I said 10 of anything. Not 41999.
    What do you think this was about?
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    edited August 2013
    The only comments irritating me in this thread are the ones from people who don't enter into the spirit of debate and add glib, selfish and thoughtless comments that disrespect their AFOL colleagues and do not advance the conversation.

Modern-day individuals increasingly feel a need to define themselves because society continues to move away from the needs of the many to the needs of the individual. Regardless of whether that's 'good' or not, it's there.

Justifying our standpoints is important way of defining ourselves, e.g. 'I am a true fan of LEGO because I built my 41999/because I built my 41999 and then made it a disco hippopotamus/because I will keep my 41999 MISB until I die/because I stopped myself from buying more than one/more than I need/more than TLG permit/more than I usually might have/more than 6'. Inevitably, judgment enters the discussion, but judgment is an equally successful way of defining ourselves as we are stating what we are not, e.g. 'You are a fake fan because you hampered the right of true fans to own a 41999'.

I say rave on everyone - about 41999, about resellers, about what maketh the fan. By playing with/chatting to/fighting with/helping out those in our community, we can't help but reinforce what we all share - what it means to be an AFOL. But let's do it with intelligence and respect. For we are noble AFOLs.
    richoSirKevbagsLegoFanTexasEKSamkhmellymelJP3804jasorDanGP
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    "Rules" and "Limits" differ. Obviously, the definitions of each differ from person to person. I'll use speed limits as an example in the US. Depending on where you are, you are given some latitude on the speed limit. 5-10 miles over the speed limit is acceptable on a major highway. If you get pulled over you may or may not get a ticket. If you are going 120 miles per hour in a 65 mph zone, not only will you get a ticket, you WILL get arrested. Not one person in this forum (who owns a car) can say that they never went over a speed limit.

Yes, you won't get a ticket if you circumvent the limits Lego puts into place, but is there is a limit that that one buys before is becomes unacceptable?
    JP3804
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I've been in traffic school with a poor soul of a gentleman that was ticketed for doing 67 in a 65mph major freeway. So in his case "The law is the law, no flexibility about it."
    Pitfall69
    @Pitfall69: I'm not sure if your response was directed at my comment. If it was, I'd still stick to what I said about following the spirit of the rule (or limit, or law, or guideline...). The spirit of the rule or law on speed limits is to keep the roads safe, so breaking it in a responsible manner (5mph over) still sticks to the spirit of the rule.

Breaking or circumventing buying limits goes against the spirit of the rule any way you look at it.

^^ another whiner... what does my nationality have to do with your whining?

I'm just waiting for the 50 Cent 'haters gonna hate' response....
    edited August 2013

^I've been in traffic school with a poor soul of a gentleman that was ticketed for doing 67 in a 65mph major freeway. So in his case "The law is the law, no flexibility about it."

That's why I said "you may or may not get a ticket"

pillpod said:

@Pitfall69: I'm not sure if your response was directed at my comment. If it was, I'd still stick to what I said about following the spirit of the rule (or limit, or law, or guideline...). The spirit of the rule or law on speed limits is to keep the roads safe, so breaking it in a responsible manner (5mph over) still sticks to the spirit of the rule.

Breaking or circumventing buying limits goes against the spirit of the rule any way you look at it.

Yes, it goes against the "spirit" of the rule. You have to ask yourself though, if Lego is your only source of income, then is it acceptable to break the limit to feed your family. Is it acceptable to go well over the speed limit while transporting your pregnant wife or injured child to the hospital?

I'm neither defending or criticizing. I'm just asking a question. I saw that someone stated that it was wrong for LFT to buy 6 because he didn't need to because he was "well off" and could do without.

Also, is it more acceptable if you bought 6 and gave them all to charity?

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

Maybe the conditions were unsafe for even the speed limit? In that case, its not really a matter of the speed limit.

As for @legofantexas, being that his conditions were safe from being banned from S&H, he was able to safely purchase above the limit without fear of consequences.
    I have to say @LegoFanTexas I am surprised that after the thread about why you should not be banned from buying from Lego, and that you were playing by the rules and not buying over the limits, and how Lego are at fault for not making you an authorised reseller (that wouldn't have to play by the standard reseller rules), that you then admit purchasing 3x the limit that Lego imposed on a Limited Edition model.

I guess you have well and truly given up on the idea of 'working with TLG'!
    I guess this is what society thinks in general. If you are going to be accused of commiting an offense and you haven't commited the offense, you might as well commit one anyway.
    I do think @LegoFanTexas is being singled out here. He is an outspoken member of this forum and I think because of this, he takes his fair share of criticism. I'm not passing judgment here on anyone. I just think if you are going to pile on it should be equally distributed amongst people that broke the limits as well...and bought even more than LFT did.

I do agree that name calling and what not doesn't add to the conversation. Although, I have my "word of the day" and it is "dickish" I have already used it twice today ;)
    Pitfall69 said:

I guess this is what society thinks in general. If you are going to be accused of commiting an offense and you haven't commited the offense, you might as well commit one anyway.

were people here going to accuse @lft of breaking limits if he hadn't said he had? I doubt it.

I always thought he was honest and given what he said in the banned thread I would have assumed he was one person that would stick to the limits.

I was obviously wrong though.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited August 2013
    ^^To be fair, in this particular instance, I think you're seeing LFT get singled out because of the inconsistency of his narrative more than because of 'I bought six.'

I do agree that LFT gets ganged up on unjustifiably a lot of the time, but in this case at least, the initial responses of 'that doesn't track with what you've said previously' seemed merited.
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    Pitfall69 said:

I just think if you are going to pile on it should be equally distributed amongst people that broke the limits as well...and bought even more than LFT did.

...those dumb enough to admit they have more.

y2josh said:

^^To be fair, in this particular instance, I think you're seeing LFT get singled out because of the inconsistency of his narrative more than because of 'I bought six.'

I do agree that LFT gets ganged up on unjustifiably a lot of the time, but in this case at least, the initial responses of 'that doesn't track with what you've said previously' seemed merited.

Fair enough. Although, would you like him more if he put on a blue parka? ;)
    JamesJT said:

Pitfall69 said:

I just think if you are going to pile on it should be equally distributed amongst people that broke the limits as well...and bought even more than LFT did.

...those dumb enough to admit they have more.

It was only a suggestion ;)

Yes, it goes against the "spirit" of the rule. You have to ask yourself though, if Lego is your only source of income, then is it acceptable to break the limit to feed your family. Is it acceptable to go well over the speed limit while transporting your pregnant wife or injured child to the hospital?

I'm neither defending or criticizing. I'm just asking a question. I saw that someone stated that it was wrong for LFT to buy 6 because he didn't need to because he was "well off" and could do without.

Also, is it more acceptable if you bought 6 and gave them all to charity?
    I don't think reselling this particular technic set is anyone's sole source of income, let alone feeding their kids that very night. Speeding to the hospital to get your wife into labor is a very good reason to break the speed limit; it's a situation where the consequences become so insignificant that it doesn't matter.

So, if the consequences of being banned from buying (if it ever happens) aren't intimidating, then I guess circumventing rules is just fine. But maybe another consequence of doing so is the ridicule that can come from your peers on this forum.

Also, it wouldn't be acceptable to buy 6 and donate to charity. It would be a waste of $1200 and still breaking the rules.

It seems extreme hypotheticals are always brought up to justify this or that...
    Dougout
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    edited August 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

It was only a suggestion ;)

^OK, point him out and lets get him (or her).

Somebody said "I only bought one, just to say I have one. I don't know what I am going to do with it because I am not fond of Technic." I suggest we should have a go at the selfish people that bought one even though they don't like technic.

...and what ever caperberry, let's all do that too.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    edited August 2013
    JamesJT said:

...and what ever caperberry, let's all do that too.

Not certain I understand you?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    edited August 2013

Pitfall69 said:

I'm now imagining you to the main guy in "despicable me", with the rest of us being the minions.

edit: hadn't seen Prince Dravens comment before making this one.
    So, this thread is titled "Why so much anger towards resellers?"
    Quick story:
    I placed an order online at [email protected] for 41999.
    I managed to pick one up from the Stratford store.
    I then contacted Lego Customer Services to ask for my online order to be cancelled as this is a Limited Edition and I felt it was right for it to go to another collector.
    Now its becoming pretty clear that a lot of these are being bought to make a quick buck...
    I don't think I need to explain any further why there is anger towards resellers.
    Feels like my selfless act is probably just filling the pockets of a reseller, or paying to take their kids to the beach..
    pillpodPhoneboothYellowcastley2josh
    edited August 2013
    pillpod said:

Also, it wouldn't be acceptable to buy 6 and donate to charity. It would be a waste of $1200 and still breaking the rules.

It seems extreme hypotheticals are always brought up to justify this or that...

Not extreme hypotheticals. I believe someone had bought more than the limit to donate some to a charity raffle. I have had to fly to the hospital several times. Twice with my wife in labor and once when my 2 year old (now almost 4) split her head open. I'm sure there will be plenty more times.

Also, since this thread was split from the Technic Thread, my comment wasn't just based on #41999, but any and every set. So, my point still stands.

@JamesJT. You are correct. That was me that said that. I bought the set because I collect Lego. The set looked great and the presentation box looked awesome and I said "What the heck, why not?" I have tons of Technic Sets and parts, but I'm not that fond of Technic. Technic IS Lego correct? I'm just checking ;)

@princedraven You may or may not be correct in your assumption. Maybe your cancelled set ended up into the hand of a "true fan" * rolls eyes or in the hands of a reseller. We will never know.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2013
    I honestly have ignored this set simply because it is something I have zero interest in.

A few things from skimming this thread...

1) I can google and see that waaaaay back on 3/26 there was info on this special edition set being released August 1.
    That is a minimum of a 4 month advanced notice, and while not completely ideal, that would be $12.50 a week to save, and some tax.

2) I did see on a Lego club online item that this set was mentioned as the winning set, so there was some information that was out there from Lego as well.

3) This was not a normal set. This was basically what I would call a collector's addition.
    If people are not aware that with anything that is collector's edition, that is numbered...that it is a snooze you lose race to get one, then I think people have been hibernating under rocks for the past 30 years.

4) For anything that is a hobby of mine, I do take the time to make sure I have the latest information out there.

I guess my point is that there seems to have been a reasonable time to save, there was info out 4 months back about this coming out 8/1, and most people can google and research areas of interest they have. It is also a no brainer this would go fast.

Now, where I'm confused is if this sold out in a few hours or 10 days.
    That is pretty significant info, but excluding that info, the other items I mentioned seem to indicate there was plenty of time, especially for those that read this board to try to get this particular set.

Yes, I do consider this Lego's fault. This is yet again another time where they have purposely created demand by limited quantities.
    I'm sure there are folks on the board that wanted this set for themselves and did not get it, just as my son never did get a Mr. Gold.

Collector's editions, numbered sets, chasers....they are all a marketing gimick, which I'm not happy to see Lego go down the road of.

In addition, they put out a limit of 2, which almost makes it a 10,000 -15,000 production run, depending upon if you see it as everyone buying their 2, of 50% of the purchasers buying two. Lego could have easily bumped the limit down to 1, or upped the production run. They chose not to, and they had to have known that numbering these would create a frenzy.

People can blast LFT if they want for having .03% of the market instead of .01% of the market, although I'm honestly tired of the LFT bashing.

I think, though, this thread raises some interesting questions.

If I bought two, and my buddy bought two for himself, but then decided he only wanted to keep one, but decided to sell me the other for retail price, and I'm going to use them for my 3 boys Christmas. Did I just skirt the system or not? Does it make a difference that my friend bought on his own, and then decided that he didn't want one? What about the same situation, but I now decide to resell the third I got for retail price? What about if I buy two, and I ask my mom to buy a third, because I have 2 kids and all of my kids really want it for a present and I want one as well? What if I ask my mom to buy a third, but then I resell it? What if I ask my mom to buy it, and then resell it and split the profit with her? What if I ask my mom to buy it, to resell on her own?

What if I bought a third from a reseller? DId I skirt the system because I own three? Does it matter if I planned to buy a third from the time I ordered, or does it matter that I didn't think about it until after the fact?

What if I was a reseller, and bought my two, but immediately bought 4 others from people flipping them barely over retail? Am I skirting the system in that case?

My long, long-winded point is that I think everyone has their own views of shades of gray, and what is right and what isn't.

Honestly, I'm far more likely to ream somebody that bought 48 extra, compared to somebody that bought 4 extra. In addition, I'm far more likely to cry foul on Lego for setting up another pit fight to get the prize. :-(
    DougoutdougtsJP3804pharmjodFurrysaurustedward
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited August 2013
    Let's ask the Wheel of Morals!
    tamamahm said:

If I bought two, and my buddy bought two for himself, but then decided he only wanted to keep one, but decided to sell me the other for retail price, and I'm going to use them for my 3 boys Christmas. Did I just skirt the system or not? Does it make a difference that my friend bought on his own, and then decided that he didn't want one?

All good here.
    tamamahm said:

What about the same situation, but I now decide to resell the third I got for retail price? What about if I buy two, and I ask my mom to buy a third, because I have 2 kids and all of my kids really want it for a present and I want one as well?

All good here.
    tamamahm said:

What if I ask my mom to buy a third, but then I resell it? What if I ask my mom to buy it, and then resell it and split the profit with her? What if I ask my mom to buy it, to resell on her own?

Bad, bad, good.
    tamamahm said:

What if I bought a third from a reseller? DId I skirt the system because I own three? Does it matter if I planned to buy a third from the time I ordered, or does it matter that I didn't think about it until after the fact?

All good here.
    tamamahm said:

What if I was a reseller, and bought my two, but immediately bought 4 others from people flipping them barely over retail? Am I skirting the system in that case?

All good here.
    tamamahm said:

My long, long-winded point is that I think everyone has their own views of shades of gray, and what is right and what isn't.

My point(s)? There's not as much grey area as you think. It's pretty black and white when it comes to the limit of 2.
    YellowcastleLegoboysidersddjasor
    ^I don't think LFT has that many friends to obtain 48 sets. Heck, since he had to rely on family, he may not have any friends ;) I kiiiid I kiiiid.
    LegoboyLegoFanTexasCoolsplashjasor
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2013

Sometimes I think it would be easier to just leave. It seems that I'm the favorite whipping boy, any time I say something that isn't popular, the piling on starts.

Many other people can and do say similar things without the entire gang piling up on it.

I took a two month break awhile back because of this, I got tired of being judged and insulted by people who have no standing to do so. When I finally came back, it was nice for awhile, but it has started back up again.

Please don't do the woe is me, I should leave thing. Its very honestly pathetic and beneath you. When this discussion had its V1 version with the doodad crap and I was very much the one Vs the nine I never said "Oh poor me, you are all picking on my opinions." And I never had anyone come tell me they were sorry either, not that I ever expected them too. In fact I was told by many to take a lot of it as joke.

In this specific case, I disagree. Yes, Minecraft shelf clearing two weeks before Christmas is indeed a reseller problem for LEGO, but in this case, it makes not one ounce of difference what resellers do or don't do.

This set was available for 10 days. If you had a magic wand and could prevent all resellers from buying any copies, maybe it would have been out 30 days.

With only 20K copies, someone, somewhere was going to end up unhappy. The power to fix that is totally within TLG's to make happen, produce another 200K of this set and the problem is instantly and totally solved. (besides pissing off "true fans" who thought they had a true limited edition of course)

But what is so wrong about taking your limit of two and accepting that? What should be the time frame of availability before a limit is ok to be skirted? A day? Week? Month? Lifetime? That's a personal question I can't answer for you. Maybe you think after a week, everyone had a fair shot. Even if I disagree, which I would, I could understand it.

Yes, but consider that the other option is to not talk about it at all. In a free and open forum, you just aren't going to be able to thread the needle quite that closely, if you don't like it, ban all talk of reselling and move on.

If you jump on it too hard, some members will just lose interest. It is a fine line to walk, and I get that, because you don't want the casual LEGO fan's to be run off either. I don't envy the job, but I do understand it.

Having run a forum, I feel for the all the mods/admins in terms of walking the line. But you also have to understand that some of this comes from re-selling stuff spilling to other threads. Since re-selling is a somewhat divisive subject, you have to understand that it being injected into other threads will bring backlash. Like I pointed out in the re-seller thread when the one person brought up the anti re-seller stuff, it wasn;t the right thread. I gather a lot of this came from one of the threads dedicated to 41999. If you posted you had bought 6 in the re-seller thread but not in the 41999 thread, There likely wouldnt be any backlash toward you.

All fair points. Two things in reply:

1. I'm not trying to run the LFT fan club, so if someone here doesn't like me, I'll survive. :)

2. I don't post every time I don't have my family buy extra copies, if I did you'd see it in that light. This was the exception, not the rule.

Here's a problem. You directly say you are not trying to run the LFT fan club, but just a short while back on the same post you talked about feeling picked on, for lack of a better way to put it. So do you care what people think of you or not?

For the second point, I don't post when I raise money for a charity, or hold a door for someone or wait for the crosswalk light to change. Because its what you should do. A better way to look at it is you talking about somewhat skirting the limits is like talking about speeding 5 miles an hour over the speed limit. Some people look at it as not a big deal, other look at it as the limit is there for a reason and exceeding it for any reason is wrong. Your argument that I could have bought 50 instead of 6 is like telling a cop who pulled you over for doing 46 in a 40 that it should be ok because you could of been driving 90 through there.

Consider that you don't have enough information about my overall actions to make that judgement. :)

But you put enough out there that we can make a decent educated guess. You are far and away the most transparent re-seller here by a large margin. That's also part of why you are the easy target. You really are the face or re-selling here.

That is a great idea... I'd pay $50+ for that in a heart beat... I love the look of the blue truck MUCH more than the normal #9398, but just can't justify opening a #41999.

I don't care about the numbered licence plate, give me a generic one and the blue parts, I'm there! :)

As I pointed out, one of the issues that happens when you move from collector to re-seller is the value of items almost always outweighs the "collectors value." It's like how you re-sold the UCS Falcon you got for a good deal here because the money allure was too much. It's why I said way back why I wouldnt sell a cheap set to someone who is a re-seller. I've seen it in every other hobby I've been in.
    Pitfall69 said:

Cronie. ;P
    Dougoutstreeker
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2013
    Technically I believe the rule was "2 per order" if LFT wants to have his Uncle's roomates cousins sisters boyfriend buy 2 for him thats still well within the rules that TLG has set up.

If TLG has bad rules blame them, ask them to clarify them or even enforce them.

People need to open their eyes and see that this "Exclusive Edition" Crawler is a PR move more in the direction of the eBay collector/reseller market than it was directed at the AFOL/casual Lego Fan market.

If TLG truly wanted to make this set available to everyone why limit it to 20,000 copies?
    tedward
    At this point I'm just waiting for the ever reliable:

"Can't we all just get along and love lego together. Let's go build something because that's why we're here in the first place. And I have a new joke guys: when will FB and DS retire? Maybe soon! :))"

I'll put the over under at 6 hours.
    Pitfall69
    @pvancil27

I am not very good at communicating with police officers. One time the officer asked me "Did you know you were going 80 in a 55mph zone?" I said "Is that all?"

Another time I got pulled over for speeding and was asked why. I told him I hate this crappy area and wanted to get through it as fast as possible. He said "I live in this crappy area" oops ;)
    BrickDancerLegoFanTexasBrickarmorpharmjodGothamConstructionCo
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    edited August 2013
    @tamamahm - I think the single largest reason @LFT is getting bashed is not because he bought 6, nor because he wants to sell all 6 and not keep one for himself. It's not even because he wants prevent another fan from buying one at rrp or even because he wants to take his kids on a beach holiday with the proceeds. It's because it wasn't too long ago we heard about how unjustified and how immoral it was for TLG to ban him from [email protected] sales. He'd stopped reselling. He'd been asked by TLG to refrain from buying multiples through their retail arm for the purpose of reselling. He said he had and it was wrong of them to ban him. I for one agreed that that being the case, it was indeed wrong and unwarranted and felt sorry for him.

Only much to many people's amazement here, he later openly admits to the same forum members he sought sympathy from, he'd only gone and done it again by circumventing the rules imposed on him. The same rules that are imposed on everybody else. Things simply didn't add up. What's more, he then went on to explain that low supply wasn't due to the likes of resellers circumventing the max of 2 per household rule but rather because TLG didn't provide enough in the first place. Simply staggering. He's accountable for his own actions, not TLG. What's more, had he not bragged about his win, the forum wouldn't be any the wiser and he wouldn't be getting bashed.

That's why IMO his name is the one getting bashed.
    cheshirecatpvancil27princedravenCCCLegoFanTexasFurrysaurus
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.