Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Community Perspective on Reselling

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    4 days out of the year you can get 30-50% off ;)
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    ^Would that be 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?
    4 days in a row. 3rd week in July
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Why those days?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Should we get there early? Are there limits?
    edited October 2012
    Ann Arbor Art Fair. Supposedly the largest in the country. We put our products out for sale on those 4 days. Lots of people from all over come.

No limits, please, clean the shelves. I'll even help you fill your cart. The right to have great hair is not in the Constitution...I just looked it up. The right to have great hair at a discount is not in there either. I just checked the Amendments.

You can live just fine without great hair. Donald Trump does :)
    CCCtiminchicagoLegoFanTexas
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    edited October 2012
    Why so much anger towards bald people? an honest question
    Bumblepants
    I don't have a problem with bald people. They mostly seem to be pretty nice and considerate of others. I'm not bald myself, and would never consider it, but I've noticed that some people really take it to the extreme. Instead of just balding in the normal spots, they completely shave their heads leaving themselves no need for hair products while the rest of us have to constantly purchase them. Its not fair that most of us have to pay more to maintain our hygiene while they do not.

But what really gets me about them is they are the first ones to go into stores and clear the shelves of hair products when they go on sale. Then they mark them up for the rest of us!

But other that that, I have not problem with them and I'm sure they are very nice people otherwise.
    Bumblepantsy2joshStuBoyFatMattDougout
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    ^ You forgot the crying little Timmy
  • thehotsungthehotsung Member Posts: 3
    I'll put in my 2 cent.

Lego are already expensive, and certainly overprice at MSRP. I don't really buy Lego unless they are at least 40% off though there are exception if it a set I really want then I can go for 25% off. Why would I pay 2 times or more as much as MSRP? To Sum it up, Lego at MSRP are overprice, Lego at re-sellers price is a ripoff!

However in my opinion, re-selling of any kind and not just Lego is just bad. There really nothing good that come out of it. You may say that your doing a benefit to the Lego community by selling items that is no longer available but every time I see those ridiculous price on Amazon, I clearly see the real motive behind it.

While there are better re-sellers than other, the end goal is profit at other people expenses. And I question someone moral and values when they try to cheat others.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Yeah because selling something to someone in a free market economy is totally cheating them.
    RTODougout
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,759

Lego are already expensive, and certainly overprice at MSRP. I don't really buy Lego unless they are at least 40% off though there are exception if it a set I really want then I can go for 25% off. Why would I pay 2 times or more as much as MSRP? To Sum it up, Lego at MSRP are overprice, Lego at re-sellers price is a ripoff!

However in my opinion, re-selling of any kind and not just Lego is just bad. There really nothing good that come out of it. You may say that your doing a benefit to the Lego community by selling items that is no longer available but every time I see those ridiculous price on Amazon, I clearly see the real motive behind it.

While there are better re-sellers than other, the end goal is profit at other people expenses. And I question someone moral and values when they try to cheat others.

That's fine as a rule to self, so long as you don't mind going without if there is an older set that you want that someone else has.

Why should someone else buy, store and take care of older sets for you just to sell them at zero profit?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

this is the most erroneous, ill-informed, and ridiculous statement I've read in this entire thread.

No one is holding a gun to these buyers' heads. They want an old set no longer available: They can either buy it at current market rates from a reseller, or not be able to get it at all. Yes, choice is BAD!!!!!!

BanditStuBoyPitfall69
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 73
    I've tried debating thehotsung. It doesn't work well: http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=7414

FollowsClosely
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Thank goodness someone saw fit to dredge up this long dead topic. I was afraid we were going to reach two months without a 'Resellers: Evil... or Just Morally Bankrupt?' debate.
    Pitfall69BumblepantsSharifa
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited December 2012
    I'm with CCC and dougts. There's nothing immoral or unethical about reselling something that is highly desired, relatively scarce and a luxury completely non-essential to life. If you want something like that, you aren't entitled to it and have to compete with all the others who want it as well. It's selfish, immature and more than a bit absurd to suggest that others should take the future non-essential desires of a stranger into consideration much less essentially spend their time and money preparing for the selfish whims of said strangers.

Lego isn't food, clean water, shelter or clothing. It's a plastic toy. Anyone who thinks they're somehow entitled to it as if it were a necessity of life needs to grow up and pull their head out of their...well, you know the rest.

Regarding RTO's link, complaining about how they have to have toys and shoes seems to suggest that thehotsung is either a child or an adult suffering from some sort of mental condition or disability that retards rational development. Seriously, what sort of adult thinks they're entitled to toys and fad/novelty shoes? What happened to the age limit on these forums?
    y2joshStuBoyPitfall69DougoutBumblepantsDiggydoesSharifa
    ^ The sense of entitlement is spreading throughout our society, this is just a reflection of that.
    RTOPitfall69DougoutFollowsClosely
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561

^ The sense of entitlement is spreading throughout our society, this is just a reflection of that.

I would disagree with that statement. There's always been a sense of entitlement in America. That's why Americans butchered Indians, stole their land, engaged in unnecessary foreign wars and a Civil War to promote selfish agendas.

In this case, I suspect it's not merely a sense of entitlement so much as immaturity and childlike selfishness (not all that different than Americans in general but hardly a new thing).

FatMattBrickarmorDougoutGothamConstructionCo
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 73
    thehotsung claims he's 24 (I made sure to ask him at the other forum). I don't buy it.

Driving the price up on essentials is exactly why even Barclays is thinking of exiting agriculture speculation. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1145f7ec-397f-11e2-85d3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2E7aqRRjK

Although many of us would disagree - Lego is NOT an essential.
  • stegmancostegmanco Member Posts: 42
    Wow this thread is dangerious, now I know why I have avoided it. Rethoric is intense for a site about toys.
    y2joshsadowsk1Si_UKNZ
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    I think it's enough to say that LEGO is not a necessity and I think that's something upon which we can all agree.

We're not going to all agree if we start discussing other entitlements and they certainly aren't relevant enough to LEGO, so let's nip that in the bud now, particularly because such discussions have proved disharmonious in the past.
    LegoFanTexasSi_UKNZ
  • thehockeyboythehockeyboy Member Posts: 97
    If you don't support resellers then you're a commie!
    kylejohnson11LegoFanTexas
    I'm glad another thread has pulled me away from the speculation thread, though I guess they go hand and hand. After reading the first post of today in this thread, I must say that I have no problem telling everyone that yes, I resell Lego for profit, no other motives involved. I don't don't think a single reseller on this forum has stated that his sole purpose in reselling Lego is to provide other AFOLs with discontinued sets that they may have missed out on. What has been stated is that availability of discontinued sets is some good that comes of the "evils" of reselling. I don't think anyone on here is hiding behind that cloak of good-will.
    RTOdougtsLegoFanTexaskylejohnson11roxiodragonhawkwagnerml2
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    I didn't read through this entire thread as I am not exactly sure what the point was, but how are people supposed to get sets that are retired if it was not for resellers..? Or do people think that resellers are supposed to sell 5 or even 10 year old sets for what they paid for them...?
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656

I'll put in my 2 cent.

Talk to me after you sell your first house. You expect me to believe that you will take the same price that you paid 5 / 10 years earlier on it? It's called appreciation, and some things appreciate the older they get and some tend to become more valuable than others. It's the nature of the beast...

StuBoy
    ^House? He can't even afford shoes :)
    tk79
    I will have to say it wasn't me this time. I have been guilty in the past for commenting on a topic, just to get it to rise from the ashes.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    y2josh said:

Thank goodness someone saw fit to dredge up this long dead topic. I was afraid we were going to reach two months without a 'Resellers: Evil... or Just Morally Bankrupt?' debate.

It's the most wonderful time of the year, which means Christmas trees, Santa Claus, and the ever-popular debate about whether re-sellers should be cheered or burned at the stake.

• VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Yes people are looking to make profits.

Guess all these guys who want sets for free must also work for free and have no bills to pay in life.

Funny how they do not protest any retail establishment in America or the world for that matter.

You can't survive without profits, unfortunately.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    I buy a $100 set in 2002... 10 Years later in 2012 I sell that same set on Ebay for $100.. I pay Ebay Fees and Paypal fees, I go in the hole so someone else can get that set for what I paid for it...

I don't get it..
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    The villager's don't usually get the torches and pitchforks out until the after Xmas sales start. ;-)
    wagnerml2
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,205
    I returned from my hiatus and then spent what i can only imagine was some portion of an eternity reading this entire thread. That being said, I have nothing to add other than that I'm now tired. ;o)
    DougoutJoseph
    ^...and it is only 10 pages.
  • MaskieBoyMaskieBoy Member Posts: 25
    The only problem is when they jack the price up. Why the heck would I spend 10$ (Plus shipping) for one mini fig I can get in a set for that much?

• lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    MaskieBoy said:

The only problem is when they jack the price up. Why the heck would I spend 10$ (Plus shipping) for one mini fig I can get in a set for that much?

Because someone else will.

kylejohnson11
    ^ Then don't. Its really that simple.
    edited December 2012
    That is the great thing about it. If you don't want to pay what a seller is asking, you don't have to. No obligation, you are free and clear to walk away. Heck, you can even complain about the price he is asking if you want to:)
    kylejohnson11
    I miss the dead horses and red/blue doodad stories... :)
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Member Posts: 115
    ^ Have you not seen the UCS doodad on Cuusoo...? ;)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    I can't wait until TLG start making lego kits of 1:1 scale classic sports shoes (trainers, for us in the UK). "Thehighlystrung" will be properly radged when we start reselling those.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,976
    edited December 2012
    [deleted]
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    prof1515 said:

Lego isn't food, clean water, shelter or clothing. It's a plastic toy. Anyone who thinks they're somehow entitled to it as if it were a necessity of life needs to grow up and pull their head out of their...well, you know the rest.

I agree absolutely. Just want to add that even with necessities such as water, food or energy (or sport shoes), nobody will provide these if they can't earn money with it. (Because people generally can't afford to work for free.)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    Some items appreciate (generally) like houses, as mentioned before, some generally depreciate (like most cars, unless they become ultra rare), but either way if you're in the market to buy something you'll have to pay the going rate for it. There are a few Lego sets i'd love to own, but I look at what they're selling for and choose to pass on them - it's not the end of the world for me.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,759
    rocao said:

I think it's enough to say that LEGO is not a necessity and I think that's something upon which we can all agree.

I'm not so sure. Take away an AFOL's lego and he'll go crazy... it's as bad as cold turkey.

I _need_ lego.

:-)
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    ^ I know it's not a necessity like food, water or shelter... but I'm going to say, I've been like 6 months without LEGO here (or at least very minimal LEGO) and it's WAY more difficult than I thought it was going to be, LOL.
  • BrickbaseBrickbase Member Posts: 100
    I would also like to mention something. I live in the Netherlands, therefore some sets that are very easily obtainable in the U.S. and the U.K., can be quite hard to obtain here. The latest Christmas special was not available here, the same goes for a lot of polybags. On the other hand there is also a lot of demand in the Netherlands for these items. Which I can supply, because I'm willing to take the effort for it. In return I will have a small profit and a lot of happy customers who thank me for getting them this set. I don't see anything wrong with this, or is it je?
    ^ Or you could have a large profit! :)

Profit is not a dirty word, except to the people who don't understand what makes the world go 'round. :)
    dragonhawk
    If I wanted to sell a $100 set to someone on Ebay for what I paid for it. I would have to list it for $132 just to make back what I paid for it.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^Funny, because the world went around long before we had profit, but hey ho. Lets not let reality spoil ones misconceptions. Thats not to say the world isnt better now than then mind, at least for some of us...

As was said some way up there are good resellers and bad resellers. There are those that provide a genuine service - from what is said above @Brickbase is one and those that hang on to end of line products for a long time would be too. But there are also those that just buy up huge amounts of Minecraft to sell at inflated prices, not to provide any kind of service but to make money out of other people in the run up to Christmas. Sure, its business but its perfectly reasonable not to like it, or by definition them.

Yes, the world went around and people killed to get what others had, but I digress...
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.