Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Exclusive news for the forum

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
edited March 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I'm allowed to tell you now that I'm working as a consultant on the forthcoming Dorling Kindersley book LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, along with another website owner.

I'm providing around 100 images of minifigs and checking the words for accuracy. The other consultant will be doing the latter too, so hopefully it'll all be right!

Surprisingly, LEGO haven't been able to provide all the images they need and DK/LEGO don't appear to have access to the figs either. As a result, I've been filling holes in my SW fig collection, from Bricklink, and now have every one except for Boba from Cloud City :-)

I'll post something about this as a new article later on.

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Excellent stuff, it should be in safe hands then! So, are they paying you for this, perhaps in missing SW minifigs perhaps (or is that considered a expense on this job?).

I've been looking forward to that book, even more so now. When is it out?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Very awesome and actually kinda funny...
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    So why don't LEGO have copies of their own minifigs?
  • TervlonTervlon Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps LEGO saw how much the CC Boba Fett goes for and made a little extra money by selling it off. How do you think they paid for LEGO Universe? :)

PS: Congrat Huw, that is awesome.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    Congrats.....that's really cool!! I've been trying to score a MISB Cloud City for months on eBay but the prices go a bit too high for me to bid.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    You'd think, wouldn't you. Maybe DK only have access to LEGO UK, I don't know.
  • cardingcarding Member Posts: 4
    surely they do they have an archieve of all their sets Huw went there last year. Well this is lego!!?!

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    All the sets in the Archives are MISB. Having said that, they do have a reference collection of minifigs that the designers can refer to ... no idea why they couldn't have used that; maybe LEGO quoted too high a price to DK to provide the photos ...
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2011
    First of all, that's great, Huw! Congratulations!

I have a visual dictionary for Star Wars by DK. They have a photo in one page of all the minifigs they've made (supposedly). There was also a poster of all the Star Wars figs that circulated for a short time in the net. I guess the problem for both references is the background.
    The LEGO SW Visual Dictionary is a great book, featuring, as it does, some of my photography :-)
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,315
    Do you know what the exclusive mini figure is? I pre ordered 3 books on Amazon.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    No, no idea. I do know that the book will be A5-ish size and not A4 like their others.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited March 2011
    I had another look at the SW dictionary last night, p95 right @bluemoose?
    I'm travelling away from home at the mo', so don't have a copy to hand to check, but that sounds about right ...