Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The impact of the Walmart sales on Ebay selling and more

13»

Comments

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,310
    I buy at Best Buy because I'm not confident enough in shipping for larger items, like TVs. But for smaller things, DVDs and the like, I go wherever the prices take me. I too think they need to adapt a bit in order to survive... places like Amazon just do it so much better (for the smaller items at least).

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I've been thinking of trying out their layaway program....
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^^ have always felt the same way about tv's, but I think my next purchase will be my first shipped. Just waiting on the new Apple TV set :)
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272

I buy at Best Buy because I'm not confident enough in shipping for larger items, like TVs.

Things I have bought online and had shipped:
    - A 55" TV
    - A toilet
    - A king-sized mattress

Most of the time the large companies who sell these things know what they are doing. Although I'll admit the first toilet arrived smashed into a thousand pieces, but the vendor made it right.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    I have purchased more than one TV from Amazon, all arrived in perfect condition, white glove delivery and all. :)

Amazon is really the safest place to buy a TV from, their customer service is second to none, if you have any problems, they make it right, it'll never cost you a dime, ever, to fix a problem.

I have no such faith in Best Buy.

My 2.3 cents...
    dragonhawk
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    ^Just bought a TV from Amazon yesterday. (Needed to replace pregnant wife's TV stat!) Cheaper than even Costco, one-day shipping for $4, should arrive today. Can't beat that.
    LegoFanTexas
  • willkfwongwillkfwong Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 44
    I've bought a 40" TV and a 47" TV from Amazon. Both arrived in perfect condition with white glove delivery.

I only go to Bestbuy for their occasional $5-$10 video game deals. Chase and Bestbuy had a crazy black friday sale last year where everything was 25% off on Chase's ultimate rewards terminal. I'm hoping Bestbuy will do something similar this year.

^Just bought a TV from Amazon yesterday. (Needed to replace pregnant wife's TV stat!) Cheaper than even Costco, one-day shipping for $4, should arrive today. Can't beat that.

Isn't that amazing? Buy a TV on Monday, it arrives on Tuesday for $4 delivered right to your home!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454

I buy at Best Buy because I'm not confident enough in shipping for larger items, like TVs.

Things I have bought online and had shipped:
    - A 55" TV
    - A toilet
    - A king-sized mattress

Most of the time the large companies who sell these things know what they are doing. Although I'll admit the first toilet arrived smashed into a thousand pieces, but the vendor made it right.

You have just described most college apartments.
    CCCshikadi
    ^ What, no "spool" anymore? I had a spool once for a table...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454
    Ha. Yeah. You are old school :) My friend had milk crates as end tables
    LegoFanTexas
    Ahh, milk crates, loved those things, forgot about em... I had two stacked up on top of each other to hold a TV once, little 19" thing... :)
    shikadi
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    edited October 2012
    ^^^ I had a spool too! It was a great one - wooden, about 3' diameter, with big steel bolts holding it together. Scary that my brain ties everything back to Lego now...

Isn't that amazing? Buy a TV on Monday, it arrives on Tuesday for $4 delivered right to your home!
    It would have been more amazing if it had arrived intact :(. Dent in box was telling -- screen appeared fine when dark but was cracked when you turned it on (which was, of course, after I had screwed the base together).

Amazon, of course, already has a new one on its way to me and I will send back the old one. Only minor peeve is that they apparently cannot send the replacement "next day" even though that was the original delivery. They did give me a $10 gift card -- i.e. $10 off my next LEGO purchase :).
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Walmart announced today they are trying out same day delivery service to try and take on Amazon. I think these Lego sales might be quite frequent going forward as these two behemoths duke it out. Good for us :)

Walmart announced today they are trying out same day delivery service to try and take on Amazon. I think these Lego sales might be quite frequent going forward as these two behemoths duke it out. Good for us :)

Yes! Reminds me the late 90s when the first generation of dot-coms were falling all over themselves to give things away to build a client list and attract eyeballs.

They burned through a LOT of investor money, those were good times.

Anyone remember when buy.com was a major player and were giving things away for next to nothing to attract business? Then Amazon stepped in with Gold Box Friday, back when Gold Box deals really were unbelieveable (compared to just ok today).

Those were the days. :)
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    edited October 2012
    They sure were. If you thought being on the receiving end of the dot.com boom was great, try working in the industry. The signing bonuses and perks were insane while they lasted. Although, probably not the greatest use of VC money.

Oops, way off topic. I should flag myself!
    LegoFanTexas
    I don't think that is off-topic, I flagged you "agree".

It is completely ontopic with regards to Walmart pushing these Lego sales in an attempt to repeat what was done 13 years ago during the first dot-com boom.

In other words, we might well see many more such sales as they fight for customers and #1 status.

As good and efficent as Amazon is, they would be foolish to underestimate Walmart. Walmart did not get to be 2% of the entire US economy by accident, they are very good and very ruthless at what they do.
    shikadi
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    I agree it will be an interesting battle to watch - two titans. Just looking at glimpses of their strategic marketing plans (Amazon going after Netflix and Walmart taking on banking) indicates that the consumer will more than likely benefit.

That said, onto the original topic, I don't think that these Walmart sales will unduly impact the aftermarket. I tend to follow sales pretty religiously and I completely missed this. I'm sure most average consumers did as well.

Unless of course this is going to be a common occurrence.
    Bring back Kozmo. That is all :).
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,310
    Interesting. I just did a little exercise in class today and computed the inventory turnover rates from 2010 and 2011 for Wal-Mart, and found that they fell slightly in 2011. All I could think of was, "I wonder how much these Lego sales will add to the turnover rate this year?" Of course 10Q's and 10K's don't give info that detailed...

Hmm, I realise now I was probably the only one in the class paying that much attention to the lecture, LOL.