Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Slave1 on shelf at TRU? + economic injustices, case for and implementation of nuclear energy

Jasper_ParnebrickJasper_Parnebrick Member Posts: 35
edited October 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Just letting everyone know that just because something is discontinued, it doesn't mean you can't still find it on the shelf of a major retailer long afterwards! I was in the Toys R Us in Pickering (just East of Toronto) last week.

Normally the Toys R Us stores I go into are pretty much the same.. a good selection of Lego, but pretty much the same. Imagine my surprise when I found about 12 8087 TIE Defenders on their shelf! I noticed them because of the old style box. I pulled out my cell and pulled up the info on Bricklink and sure enough, discontinued last May! As I stood there wondering what it's resale might be, and how many I should buy, I glance over down the shelf and see an 8097 Slave 1 sitting there! I have been dying to get one for months, and even tried contacting a guy in Germany on Amazon.de to sell me one at 1.5x the price, but he wouldnt sell direct to me. I figured maybe this was a recent return and they made space on the shelf for it to try to sell it again. It was also discontinued in May 2011.

I was already thinking I had just come across a gold mine, when I took it off the shelf and found THREE more behind it! Now I was thinking, my wife will kill me if I spend like $700 on Lego in one day, but I knew if any other AFOL came into that store they wouldn't hesitate. It was also Wednesday, and I thought: "Hey, I will buy one now so I have it, and then when the new flyer drops Thursday night, if there's some kind of bogo or % off on Lego, then I'll be back 9am on Friday morning". When I got home I said to myself: "No, stupid, you could go back on Friday and they could all be gone!" I went back the very next morning and sure enough, one was gone, so I grabbed the last two, counted my blessings, and grabbed two TIE Defenders for good measure. Lesson learned!

FYI there were still about 10 Tie Defenders on the shelf Thursday around noon, for anybody who wants to pop by and see if they made it through the weekend!

PS, they had 1 x 10198 Tantive IV, 3 x 8038 Battle of Endor's, 1 x 8098 Clone Turbo Tank as well as of Sept 27th!
All discontinued!

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    That's a lot of old stock, good for you on your find. Tantive IV should have been long gone. Its selling at almost double right now I think.
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Awesome!
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    nice pickup. congrats.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    WOW. Excellent find. I would have absolutely picked up Tantive as well, if only to resell for a profit :). Endor is probably selling just a little above MSRP right now (or it was when I bought one a few months ago from a reseller) but it is a tidy little set and really enjoyable. Wish I were closer to that magic store :).
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    All of that, minus the TIE Defenders, are worth buying...

How much for the Slave 1?
  • Jasper_ParnebrickJasper_Parnebrick Member Posts: 35

All of that, minus the TIE Defenders, are worth buying...

How much for the Slave 1?

Slave One was $109.99.. thats the regular MSRP up here in Canada..

Im gonna go back and check on that Tantive IV. I already have one in a box unopened.. can't hurt to get two if it has such great resale. Would you guys reccommend the Turbo Tank too?

• hantothantot UKMember Posts: 280
    wish i could find that sort of haul in the UK, and I'd love a TIE Defender or two!
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    Wow, that's a pretty high MSRP for the Slave 1. There are actually quite a few copies that are for sale on BrickLink for around $90 USD.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Yeah, we get hosed up here in Canada. Especially at TRU.

Jabbas Palace 159
    Vampyre Castle 129-139
    Uni-Mog 229

I rarely purchase anything at my local TRU unless there are good REALLY incentives. I'll most likely grab the Advent Calendar there as it's not marked up beyond the US price.

Shopping from lego.com/us is the way to go.

My local TRU has lots of Endor and a few Tantiv IV's left on the shelf. Slave 1 has been gone for months though. Good score for the OP though. I would have purchased a new slave 1 as well.
    Well, it WAS a good deal, until the $110 price... Then it stopped being a good deal since you can still buy it online for less than that.
  • thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    I found 3 Slave 1's for B2G1F marked at 90 dollars at my local TRU

Well, it WAS a good deal, until the $110 price... Then it stopped being a good deal since you can still buy it online for less than that.

You can't actually buy it anywhere online if you live in Canada, unless you happen to find one on ebay from a reputable seller. If Amazon.com (US) shipped to Canada, then yes, a lot of what you guys are saying makes sense.

I still wonder why I can buy stuff from Italy, Germany, France and the UK and pay peanuts on shipping, and I can't buy something from the US, which is less than 2 hrs from my doorstep.. :(

You guys in the US have to realize that your pricing is subsidized or something... look at the GBP pricing for some items. It's insane how much people pay for Lego there and in the rest of Europe compared to the US. I'm just happy I'm in the middle here in Canada, even though our dollar is pretty much at parity with the US for the past few years.

edited October 2012
    You guys in the US have to realize that your pricing is subsidized or something... look at the GBP pricing for some items. It's insane how much people pay for Lego there and in the rest of Europe compared to the US. I'm just happy I'm in the middle here in Canada, even though our dollar is pretty much at parity with the US for the past few years.
    The dollar may be at parity, but taxes in all forms are not. We generally pay a lot less in taxes, and that is built into your prices in Canada. But those taxes pay for your national health care and other government services that we lack.

So it all works out even in the end.
    BTW, why can't you buy from Bricklink? Plenty of Bricklink sellers would be happy to ship to you I'm sure. I know I would. I just personally wouldn't sell a Slave 1 for the prices Bricklink fetches, but others would.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071

So it all works out even in the end.

In theory... how about in practice?
    The Canadian doesn't have to spend $1,000 a month to buy health insurance for his family, I do.

You can buy a LOT of Lego for that much money, even more when that only has to cover the overage between US and Canadian prices.
    I think you missed my point. The idea is that in Canada the increase in the amount of money you spend on on LEGO is offset by the decrease in the amount of money you spend on healthcare largely because the increase in LEGO is a result of additional taxes that pay for healthcare. However, for it to work out even in the end, you also need your money to be equally effective in both countries, both for the LEGO and for the healthcare. And that might be debatable.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410

The Canadian doesn't have to spend $1,000 a month to buy health insurance for his family, I do.

You mean you choose too...? You might be better off just putting the 12k a year in a savings account.
    ^ The option to avoid health coverage has a cost. Don't forget the externalities! A healthy population increases the overall productivity of society, which in turn effects everyone's well being.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ LOL choose to?? Going down that route would be an irresponsible path to best case bankruptcy and worst case death of oneself or one's family members.
    ^ Actually, best case is you don't get seriously ill or injured. It would be an irresponsible path to saving a bunch of money. Although the costs to you in a worst case scenario are pretty terrible, so I wouldn't recommend it.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,355

This is the norm, but the new TGV train prices are interesting - £80 / 99eu / $130
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Not to continue dragging this off topic, but I don't think the main reason Canadas MSRP is higher is because of higher Taxes collected in part for health care. Taxes are external to the MSRP.

Put it this way, If a lego set costs $100, there's internal and external expenses associated with that purchase. External is what's added to that price tag. In Manitoba our sales tax is 12%, that would make the $100 purchase total $112. Now for me to pay $112, I have to work and pay income tax on the money I earn. Which in the middle class, after paying for Canadian Pension Plan (CPP), Federal and provincial income tax, and Employment Insurance (EI), I take home about 65% of my gross pay. So I now have to earn $172, to make that $100 purchase.

But why is that set $100 in the first place? because of internal expenses. There are many things that make up the MSRP of an item, but specifically what's different between the US and Canada that these need to be different? The markup on that item is probably 40% making the cost to the retailer about $60. Their cost will be higher in Canada than the US because of smaller buying power from the source because we are a smaller market, and Currency fluctuations. The business will then mark the item up to the Canadian MSRP to cover their increased transportation costs, higher taxes on their sales, and the expense of wages.

In summary, I think the external expenses added to the price cover health care. It's the increased transportation, smaller buying power and higher minimum wages that increase the MSRP in Canada.

Billy.
    mrseatle said:

You mean you choose too...? You might be better off just putting the 12k a year in a savings account.
    Our third child had to be delivered via emergency c-section, the bill for that was $31,000 (she had to spend 5 days in the hospital). Add follow up care and the pre-delivery care, total was about $35,000.

What would that cost in Canada?

My wife is Australian, her mother lives in Australia. About 7 years ago, her mother had a series of 3 strokes in 2 days, spent 3 weeks in ICU, 3 months in hospital in recovery, then all the follow up care after that. That would have cost $250,000+ in the USA. In Australia? Not a single penny.

Which is why Lego is so darn expensive down there.

I am not debating the good or bad of it, just pointing out that the costs, taxes, and everything is different from country to country, so complaining about what things cost in USA vs anywhere else is not fair, unless you take into account everything else.

But why is that set $100 in the first place? because of internal expenses. There are many things that make up the MSRP of an item, but specifically what's different between the US and Canada that these need to be different?

Billy.

Yes, all those are factors... Pay is higher there, import taxes have to be paid (there are no import taxes on toys in the USA), etc.

All those factors add up to a higher cost for goods, even if the dollar is equal valued.

mrseatle said:

Our third child had to be delivered via emergency c-section, the bill for that was $31,000 (she had to spend 5 days in the hospital). Add follow up care and the pre-delivery care, total was about $35,000.

What would that cost in Canada?

My wife is Australian, her mother lives in Australia. About 7 years ago, her mother had a series of 3 strokes in 2 days, spent 3 weeks in ICU, 3 months in hospital in recovery, then all the follow up care after that. That would have cost $250,000+ in the USA. In Australia? Not a single penny.

I am not debating the good or bad of it, just pointing out that the costs, taxes, and everything is different from country to country, so complaining about what things cost in USA vs anywhere else is not fair, unless you take into account everything else.
    Whoa LFT.. So you actually had to pay $66,000 for your third child to be born, or was that the technical cost, but your insurance covered it?

I would gladly pay 25% extra on my Lego any day knowing that I would never have to pay mdecial expenses like that.

I'm glad my posting ended up rasing debate. I would be hard pressed to find anyone in the US (any REAL American citizen, not lobby-influenced politicians) who could argue that they would rather spend $66,000 for their child to be born, over contributing monthly to the health and well-being of every other fellow American.

Whoa LFT.. So you actually had to pay $66,000 for your third child to be born, or was that the technical cost, but your insurance covered it?

I would gladly pay 25% extra on my Lego any day knowing that I would never have to pay mdecial expenses like that.

I'm glad my posting ended up rasing debate. I would be hard pressed to find anyone in the US (any REAL American citizen, not lobby-influenced politicians) who could argue that they would rather spend $66,000 for their child to be born, over contributing monthly to the health and well-being of every other fellow American.

No, it was $35,000 total, but that is still a lot. And yes, insurance covered almost all of it, about $30,000. We were about $5,000 out of pocket on it.

So we get cheap products, but there is a price to be paid, and this is one of them.

I would like to see a national healthcare system. We have state funded police and fire departments, a road dept, state funded education, why not healthcare?

But of course, in our country, our politics are so divided, getting anything done is hard. For example, does national health care pay for abortions? Birth control? There are 1,001 such issues and a lot of very stubborn people on both sides.

Throwing money at a problem often doesn't work, look at our schools. We spend more money on our schools than just about anyone, and yet they do a generally lousy job of it. Why? Largely it is due to a lack of accountability, it is nearly impossible to fire a public school teacher thanks to the power of the unions. The recent strike of Chicago public school teachers was not over pay, they already make some of the highest pay in the nation. It was over performance reviews, the teachers did not want their employment or raises to be based on the performance of their students.

Yes, they said it with a straight face too.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    LFT

- My daughter was recently born by C-Section.

- Spent 3 days in a private room after the birth

- Has had 2 urinary infections since birth, both required hospital visits. 1 for an evening the other for 3 nights 4 days.

- 4 yrs ago my son was also born by section and at 4 weeks was diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis (sp?) which required surgery and a hospital stay of 4 nights.

Parking was $6.25 per day or $15 for an unlimited pass. This was our only expense during each visit.

Higher Lego prices are easily circumvented by ordering through the US lego/TRU sites.

:(. Sorry to hear of all that, hope your family is all ok now.

Regarding buying from the US, keep in mind that is really small potatoes, everything else in your life is taxed enough to cover it. If we ever get a socialized health care system, expect to see our prices go up about 10%. :)
    edited October 2012

In summary, I think the external expenses added to the price cover health care. It's the increased transportation, smaller buying power and higher minimum wages that increase the MSRP in Canada.

Agreed.

That would have cost $250,000+ in the USA. In Australia? Not a single penny.

Why would the perspective of the consumer, instead of the whole system, be relevant here? The procedures did not cost nothing, the recipients were simply not invoiced for it. Huge difference. Instead, look at the perceptive of the provider. The procedure probably actually cost less in Australia than it did in the United States. That is where cost-effectiveness comes into play, how much you need to spend to get a desired outcome. When it comes to extending quality life, some procedures are more cost effective than others. And some healthcare systems are more cost effective than others. Did you know annual pap smears are not cost effective? Did you know that in 2006, per-capita spending for health care in Canada was $3,678 while in the US it was $6,714?

Taxes and healthcare systems are not the primary reason why Lego is expensive in Australia (or Canada). To avoid repeating myself, see the previous discussion that starts getting interesting here: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/5148/#Comment_5148

My comments in the discussion are here, there, this here, and that there. Other people made interesting comments too.
    Both my kids were c-Section babies, cost about $30,000 each. Total out of pocket cost to me, $50 each. I've had kidney stone issues in the past, and had emergency surgery for the last one. $20,000 bill, again I paid $50.
    Kids have gone to the doctor countless times over the last 7 years. Good insurance is priceless.

That would have cost $250,000+ in the USA. In Australia? Not a single penny.

Why would the perspective of the consumer, instead of the whole system, be relevant here? The procedures did not cost nothing, the recipients were simply not invoiced for it. Huge difference.
    My wife is a doctor, trust me I've paid attention to the issue in great detail. :)

I am well aware that nothing is free. Rather the costs in Australia are shared across the entire population in the form of taxes and government provided health care.

In the United States, you do actually have a lot of government "paid for" health care, in the form of Medicaid and Medicare, but the services are all still private for the most part (there are a few exceptions).

Instead, look at the perceptive of the provider. The procedure probably actually cost less in Australia than it did in the United States. That is where cost-effectiveness comes into play, how much you need to spend to get a desired outcome. When it comes to extending quality life, some procedures are more cost effective than others. And some healthcare systems are more cost effective than others. Did you know annual pap smears are not cost effective? Did you know that in 2006, per-capita spending for health care in Canada was $3,678 while in the US it was $6,714?

Yes, I know that. Part of it has to do with the almost completely "for-profit" nature of our health care system. Part of it has to do with the multiple layers of administration in our system (hundreds of seperate companies involved, all with seperate billing and admin systems).

For example, my wife is a doctor, but she owns her own business. She has to handle insurance billing on her own, she has to pay for this, it sucks up about 10% of her total gross income, just in admin costs for insurance billing.

The American health care system is a mess, but the will to fix it isn't there yet.

Taxes and healthcare systems are not the primary reason why Lego is expensive in Australia (or Canada).
    No? At the end of the day, everything costs an arm and a leg in Australia. One of the reasons we don't live there is because of this.

Why is everything so expensive? True, part of it is that Australia is on the other side of the planet from everything else, but that isn't really the problem, after all we don't seem to have a problem shipping cheap goods from China to the USA.

The real issue is government services vs. taxes. And it isn't just health care.

The government in Australia largely pays for University, which the government in the USA does not, just as one example.

BTW, many times people hear "taxes" and only think of their income tax, or sales tax (or GST in Australia), but there are many more taxes than that. Property taxes, excise taxes, gas taxes, etc.

It is the total cost of doing business that adds up.
    Bandit said:

Both my kids were c-Section babies, cost about $30,000 each. Total out of pocket cost to me, $50 each. I've had kidney stone issues in the past, and had emergency surgery for the last one. $20,000 bill, again I paid $50.
    Kids have gone to the doctor countless times over the last 7 years. Good insurance is priceless.

The real problem in America is not the cost of health insurance, it is the cost of health care.

Nothing in the Affordable Care Act (what an absurd name) actually does a darn thing to fix that. Offering government subsidized private insurance doesn't fix the problem that C-sections shouldn't cost $30,000.

Why is everything so expensive? True, part of it is that Australia is on the other side of the planet from everything else, but that isn't really the problem, after all we don't seem to have a problem shipping cheap goods from China to the USA.

The real issue is not just the distance, but the density, or rather lack thereof. Australia is a sparse country and that increases the total cost of doing business no matter what you're doing. China and the USA have much larger population densities and urban centers.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    FYI, I think I'll probably merge this price discrepancy talk with another thread or start a new one.

The real issue is not just the distance, but the density, or rather lack thereof. Australia is a sparse country and that increases the total cost of doing business no matter what you're doing. China and the USA have much larger population densities and urban centers.

That is part of it, to be sure...

But then that doesn't explain Europe, which is also very expensive, yet has much higher density than the USA does.

Bandit said:

The real problem in America is not the cost of health insurance, it is the cost of health care.

Nothing in the Affordable Care Act (what an absurd name) actually does a darn thing to fix that. Offering government subsidized private insurance doesn't fix the problem that C-sections shouldn't cost $30,000.
    And the worst part is, insurance companies will negotiate this $30,000 down to some small amount, whereas I'd be on the hook for the $30,000 if I paid privately...
    ^ That indicates it does not really cost $30,000.
    @LegoFanTexas Did you read the other discussion?

But then that doesn't explain Europe, which is also very expensive, yet has much higher density than the USA does.

The price difference of LEGO between USA and Europe is significantly smaller than the price difference of LEGO between USA and Australia. There are other factors that effect price, such as the efficiency of the American freight railroad like I mentioned here.

• sadowsk1sadowsk1 Member Posts: 124
    It feels as though there should be a rant thread on this site.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^That thread would be the most fun ever. I'd have my popcorn ready everyday!
    sadowsk1 said:

It feels as though there should be a rant thread on this site.

At the end of the day, we are all closer in opinion than I think it appears to be the case.

There are many factors and it isn't so simple to broadly brush the issues with a single statement.

@brickmatic is largely correct in general, we just view the colors slightly differently, but I think we're really on more of the same page than not.
    Damn you Boba Fett.. NOW look at the mess you created!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    And, they call me "Tony Tangent" :-) From LEGO Slave 1 to socialized medical care, in just 12 posts. :-) If I must say, I think Japan has the latter dialed in quite well. Hats off to them. Hummmm... they have quite a lot dialed in quite well.
    :) Don't get me started on Japan, who now wants to remove all nuclear power from their country.

Nuclear power isn't the problem, how they went about doing it... is...

The types of reactors, the safety systems, etc. are the problem, not nuclear in and of itself.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    True. My son is an engineer and works in the nuclear industry. They have so many redundant safety systems. When developed and constructed correctly it is much, much safer than the news claims. Not that news is bias or any such thing. :-) All societies have their problems. Too bad we don't all learn from each other more than we do.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    rocao said:

FYI, I think I'll probably merge this price discrepancy talk with another thread or start a new one.

We figured as much :)

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    edited October 2012
    This was a great thread

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/08/01/why-the-us-has-the-lowest-lego-prices/

Leave it to Legos to make the whole world hate us even more :(
    edited October 2012
    Rant? This isn't a rant. It's a friendly discussion! It just looks like a rant because of the tinted glasses @LegoFanTexas and I are wearing. They happen to be different tints.

And there is a lot that @LegoFanTexas and I agree on. Like nuclear power. There should be more of it. To tie it back to Lego, we've seen wind turbines, why not nuclear plants? The designers just need to make sure the build includes enough safety systems.

In all seriousness, the key to nuclear safety is to move to passively safe reactors.
    ^ That, and to spare no expense on hiring very smart people to run them.

Even the best safety systems are useless when turned off. Look at Chernoble, they basicly blew it up because they were stupid.