Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] TRU Bricktober

13»

Comments

• lannyjacklannyjack Member Posts: 39
    What were the deals last year?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    sidersdd said:

Man, nothing for week 4 (other than the minifig pack)? Just saw the flyer. No BOGO, no $10 off $50, nothing. It's been a weak Bricktober at TRU.

Amen... maybe after Walmart and Amazon's deals, TRU just gave up. :)

Here is an idea... Instead of all the games, how about 20% off RRP across the board for LEGO.

They would sell a ton of it and instantly have more respect for just doing business above board.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2012
    ^Yeah, kind of weak. Although, if you plan on spending $100 or more, you can use the 20% off coupon posted by jadeirene. If you can convince TRU to give you the mini figure set when using the coupon, you may be able to net about $20 on ebay for the minifigure set (if you don't want to keep it). That's actually not too shabby of a deal if you can find a set for MSRP.
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    got a $10 off $40, only from 8am-9am tomorrow; might drive out and waste a few hours, looking at things and thinking, 'too overpriced!'
    I have yet to find the coffin cars 8(
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 807
    @snowtyger-I received the coupon you refer to and it says it only works on regular priced merchandise. Does getting a free minifig set count as regular priced. My professor hasn't covered this in class yet (TRU Couponing 101 at Geoffrey University) so I don't know the answer to my own question.
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    @snowtyger - if I remember correctly, you're from the Bay Area. I found a bunch of the coffin cars at the TRU in Redwood City last week. There were still about 15-20 left. If you still can't find them there, let me know since I have a few extra.
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    @jadeirene, thanks! - I work in rwc, but haven't had a chance to revisit them, thanks for the tip! I'd head down there this morning, but its so far to go if I'm not due at work to pay for my addiction!
    @bmwlego, thanks for pointing out the 'regular priced item' -- i'd missed that disclaimer, and i'm guessing that tru's 'markdowns' of the lego counts to bring them back to 'regular price'; a lot of the smaller items look like they're still normally priced though, so maybe they would be ok; we'll see how frustrated i get in a bit
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ You're right. And, sadly that is generally the case. The TRU offers are less appealing each next week in October. There is a 10% (<$50) -15% ($50-99) -20% ($100+) coupon that is good to 10/22, Monday. Which was available last week. So, depending on the LEGO set you purchase it may knock down the marked up price to retail. :-) I got a 4X4 Crawler with it last week.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167

sidersdd said:

Man, nothing for week 4 (other than the minifig pack)? Just saw the flyer. No BOGO, no $10 off $50, nothing. It's been a weak Bricktober at TRU.

Amen... maybe after Walmart and Amazon's deals, TRU just gave up. :)

Here is an idea... Instead of all the games, how about 20% off RRP across the board for LEGO.

They would sell a ton of it and instantly have more respect for just doing business above board.
    Awww, beat me to it.. This looks like TRU just got lazy, or since they had a bunch of sales before bricktober they would only rely on these offers of the minifigure sets.. OR they are just tired of the usual suspects cleaning out the stock during sales :-)
    Either way I am glad because I hate getting up at 6am to see the sale prices now.
    Hope BF doesn't pull that garbage
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 991
    I was able to get 15% off and get the seaside house, 2 friends polybags, and the minifig set for around $55 plus tax.
  • murroughmurrough Member Posts: 59
    I was also able to score 15% off Weather Top- Coffin Car - and Frodo's cooking corner and got the minifigs set as well.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Is there still one more set for next Sunday?
    ^ I'm pretty sure this week (beginning yesterday, the 21st) is the 4th and last set. They have always just had 4 special figures/sets. I'm thinking this year will be the same. Also, I think that was posted somewhere. Maybe even at the beginning of this thread.
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 243
    ^ @cloaked7 is correct. This is the last week.
    Ending up getting the Hillside House 5771. It's a TRU exclusive, and although it's marked up $5 I had a 15% coupon. Not a great deal, but something I wanted and allowed me to get the figure set. The cost was $63, so just enough to qualify. So, having it marked up helped. If it were RRP with 15% off the total would have been $59.50 and would have forced me to get something I didn't want to get to the magical $60 amount. :-)

Also, this cashier didn't scan in the figure set, she just dropped it in my bag. Good thing, because the figure set would have disqualified my coupon and meant a visit by the store manager to do an override (which she did last week.).
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2012
    cloaked7 said:

Also, this cashier didn't scan in the figure set, she just dropped it in my bag. Good thing, because the figure set would have disqualified my coupon and meant a visit by the store manager to do an override (which she did last week.).

Interesting you mentioned that. Just looked at the receipt for my purchase yesterday of the 4x4 Crawler with 20% off coupon, and there was no indication of the minifigure set either (cashier just handed it to me). Really glad I didn't have to bother dealing with a manager on that.

I like it when associates take a sensible approach to stuff like this. No hassle for them, no hassle for me. It makes my shopping experience an enjoyable one and everyone is happy. Most importantly (for TRU), it makes me inclined to shop there again.
    ^ It also made me wonder if the manager told cashiers to give them to people if they bought $60+ of LEGOS. I imagine they tire of running to the register to do an override over something that can be handled simply by the cashier. But, maybe not. Maybe the cashier knew, or didn't know, what they were doing. I didn't ask. Didn't want to draw attention. I could just see me asking and the cashier saying 'Oh yes, you're correct. I'm supposed to scan the figure set. Oh my, now it didn't take your coupon, because you can't use it with an other special offer!'
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited October 2012
    They probably need to scan the free minifigure box. The person at the register was answering the phone while ringing my purchase. I used a coupon with my purchase. The free minifigs had problems scanning. Since she was rather pre-occupied, she rolled her eyes and dropped the box to my bag. I would have gladly made this my go to TRU store had they had better polybags selection
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Ah, the final volume(the one I want). But there's no deals this week for it. Bummer.

But there's no deals this week for it.

Yup, I think TRU does that on purpose. There will be people, like me, who buy on the last week just to get the 4th set, because they have the other 3. Over the last 3 years TRU has had the same modus operandi. Offer the best deals the 1st week, and the deals the next 3 weeks are less and less attractive.

• Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    i saw a flier for oct.27th for bricktober, TRU has the monster fighter polybag, w/the stickers and skel-minifig....does anyone know if there is a purchase to make or what the details are.?
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    they're doing a build today from noon-2pm according to the version I last saw, show up and get a free one, supposedly. It's probably for children but I'm going to walk over in an hour or so and try to snag one, aside from HH it's the only MF set I don't own =-O
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    What are these build events like? Are they free builds with a pile of bricks for the kids (that have to stay in-store, obviously) or are the kids building from instructions?
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 243
    ^ it is free build, although my store had some pictures of items to give kids ideas of what to build - reused the creationary materials from a week ago.

They had all the monster fighter elements - green bricks, spiders, coffins, etc.

My store was not crowded and my daughter had fun. Yes, we did get the set.
    murphquake
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 807
    Just got back. Manager gave me the MF poly bag promo item for stopping in. Place was packed with kids and they get to keep their creations. I saw sand green 1x2 bricks, lt gray brick bricks, dark brown 1x2 log bricks, etc. I wanted to walk out of there with the sand green bricks but I have a conscience.

Btw...3 of last 4 posts here are from I LUG NYers!
    murphquake
  • USMCYodzUSMCYodz Member Posts: 93
    Walked in and the guy gave me and my wife a couple each. We ended up with 5 MF Promo. Not to shabby. The store here wasn't letting kids keep their builds, but having parents buy the MF sets that would have the same parts. The guy said that Lego sent them 15,000 legos, in which Lego gave a worth of $3600 of. Asked about getting some after the event but Lego wants these ones back instead of the typical donate them to a school. Probably cause they were all MF sets pieces. Oh well, happy I got to finish my MF theme. Maybe I will sell some of the others. They are already up for $20 on ebay and $15 on bricklink.
  • StillBuildingStillBuilding Member Posts: 23
    Our store was out by 12:30pm. So we just got some free bricks to take home. Really wanted the minifig's, so now I know we have to get there early!!
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    i just got home from mine, all the kids got MF polos, i got 2 myself, and they let them keep the creations insted of this spooky city they was supose to build, if i had known they was keeping them i might have joined in on the fun....but my kids all sold me their creations anyway, lol so i got a bunch of the brick/bricks and some sand green peices.....none minifig sets left.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,615
    Yep, we just got back. The kids got to build what ever and keep it. They each got a poly and I got 2 for myself. They had fun and it wasn't crowded at all.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 738
    I'm in Iowa, they were letting kids build and then piece them together for a photo....and then maybe keep them? Not sure...we asked 3 different workers at TRU and none knew. Only 1 person was working the event...others were regular employees walking around the store. But they wouldn't let anyone take anything home with them until 2pm. So ALOT of people were building and leaving with nothing.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    I scored 3 and a few pieces from the build... I spoke to the manager about what they were going to do with the remains, no luck, but I can dream... if they open despite the hurricane I might go by tomorrow and see if they have any of the polys, I need to get some coffin cars anyway =-)

I LUG NY did pretty good on this one it seems. I sense a MF holiday theme coming on =-)