Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10233 Horizon Express

LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
edited December 2012 in Collecting
I'm not sure what category to put this in, so mods, feel free to move it to the correct catagory. But tonight at 12pm EST, a new LEGO exclusive will be unveiled in Denmark at LEGO Fan Weekend.

Via Toys N Bricks

Any guesses?

Train? Modular? Ship?

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited September 2012
    Oooh, I'd love it to be the next modular!
    I was wondering the other day if there'd be any new model unveiled at STEAM next weekend because last year they had the Joust, which was released Jan 1.
    What's 12pm EST for us Brits anyway? 7pm? 8pm?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    edited September 2012
    6pm GMT I think.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Replacement for Tower Bridge
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^ agreed.

But what will be? Something from Asia perhaps?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^^. Agreed. New landmark set.
    A few possible ideas:

1. St Basil Cathedral in Moscow (beautiful building)
    2. The Great Sphynx (or The Pyramids of Giza)
    3. Acropolis of Athens (or the Colosseum)
    4. Christ Redeemer (might be too religious)
    5. White House (might be too American)
    6. Tower of Pisa
    7. Golden Gate Bridge (but a Bridge was just done, so probably not)
    8. The Empire State Building (or the new Freedom Tower)
    9. Forbidden City in Beijing

Those are for buildings or monuments... It could be something else, a vehicle of some type, for that, the options are nearly limitless..

I'd love a highly detailed Ford Model T, just for one example...
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    From Bricks to Bothans seems to have the scoop. Good news for Train fans:

http://www.fbtb.net/2012/09/29/lego-announces-10223-horizon-express/#more-16217
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    It's on the Brickset front page too.
    Almost all guesses above way off! ("Vehicle" gets you minor points @LFT :-))
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Great Wall of China. 100,000 pieces.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited September 2012
    ^^ Well, we had already heard about this train from the 2013 catalog so I assumed that wasn't going to be it (thinking they were announcing a 2012 set tonight).

I like the looks of it. Nice they didn't jack the price way up too.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    oh WOW!!!!!!!
    edited September 2012
    ow that's quite nice actually. Loving all the orange. Reasonable price tag too.
    Wish the control panel wasn't a sticker though. grrr.
    sidersdd said:

^^ Well, we had already heard about this train from the 2013 catalog so I assumed that wasn't going to be it (thinking they were announcing a 2012 set tonight).

I like the looks of it. Nice they didn't jack the price way up too.

Yea, I didn't that was it either, I was expecting another Large Scale Model like Tower Bridge.

If it is just the train, that is nice, but not a TB replacement, more of a Maersk Train replacement.
    TyoSolo said:

From Bricks to Bothans seems to have the scoop. Good news for Train fans:

http://www.fbtb.net/2012/09/29/lego-announces-10223-horizon-express/#more-16217

Uhh, ORANGE? Really? Yuck! That might be the first train I pass on... bleah!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Loving the orange. Might be my first train :O)

And a green bottle! I'm unfeasibly excited about that.
    edited September 2012
    http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=4345

Its orange because its an original TGV and thats the colour they were in real life.

^ spot on. Orange is a great colour for mocing and tends to be pricey on bricklink. I bought the ridiculous 3818 in part for the orange.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Told you it was ridiculous. ;O)
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Is it too early to start discussing when it will retire, and what the aftermarket value may be?

:)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,245
    Beautiful set, might have to grab this one. Love the detailing on the side of the locomotive, loos like a great build
    Too bad it will take 2 to make it look authentic... that will cost a chunk
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Was well impressed when I got the press release earlier, I might be buying my first train :-)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Oh my, I wasn't expecting an orange train. It's beautiful!!!!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Lovely :) V excited for a new train, and some new minifig parts :)
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 791
    Few new faces and torsos to boot.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    As mentioned above, it does seem to be a 'replacement' for the Maersk. Considering that it doesn't have power functions and price range. Speaking of trains, my TRU has like 8 3677's on the shelf, more than ever. I wonder if they're trying to push the inventory out the door and getting ready for a Oct BOGO. Something tells me both the 3677 and Maersk are going to be EOL'd soon.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I really like this set, but integrating it into my town looks like it's going to take a custom cable rigging.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Looks like it will be a fun build, but my very first gut reaction was that I didn't like it. I can't back that up with anything other than it was my first impression.

Staring at the Emerald Night on the shelf here, I wish they had done something more historic.

Anyhow... maybe that is one less set I will feel compelled to buy 10 of!
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    I've resisted LEGO trains so far, but this one is so good (and reminds me of my days in France) that I may finally take the plunge.
    Brief aside, I just noticed the male/female minfig split is 50/50 and not only that, a female is operating the train. Good progress from Lego in that domain, perhaps this is a sign of better ratios to come throughout System
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    I have now read the comment threads regarding this set at about 4 different Lego fan sites. I would say overall reaction seems to be incredibly positive with most people not liking it, but loving it, and already planning to buy a pair of them.

I think it's horrible! Sure they are copying older TGV designs, but this is just nasty. High speed passenger trains of this type are incredibly boring from a design perspective to boot. Aerodynamics dictates that, but they don't make for a visually interesting modelling subject.

And the one cool part trains of this type do have is the sleek angles and curves of the nose, and that appears to be "all wrong" in the limited photos I've seen of the kit. Too notchy. Reminds me of Lego from my childhood in the late '70s when Lego didn't do a very good job at all of recreating designs from the real world.

I'll pass on this guaranteed.

The most interesting aspect is that this seems to be part of some new Creator "Expert" line of sets, which could be very promising. I wonder what that means to Lego exactly and what other future sets we might see in the series.

I'm excited to see some more sets from the "expert" series. I have a feeling the modulars are going to be branded that from now on, and all other exclusives (eg. VW Camper, Sopwith, Shuttle Expedition... etc).
    ^^
    High speed train noses are notoriously hard to design, just have a look at the lengths MoC-ers go to to get them looking right. http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/128273 Also, hence the one-piece plastic monstrosity we saw on #7897 .. thank goodness they didn't repeat that.

Yes, its not a perfect rendition, but, after all, it's only Lego.
    ^ If you're going to do TGV, do the modern one in blue, that everyone knows.

I still want my 4-8-8-4 Big Boy in Lego. That I'd buy in a heartbeat.
    ^ the new one ... *shudder* .. looks like the terminator.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Hold up, euro and dollar no 1:1conversion? That must be a typo!!!! ;)
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    And now I'm buying a train. Never thought I would. I might just get the Maersk Train just to have to PF enabled trains.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 316
    I'd have to say that it isn't my favorite, but that is because I am comparing it to the Emerald Night and the Maersk Train. Maybe I am just not interested in passenger trains, or maybe it is the color. Probably great design details though.
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    The modern silver/white/blue color scheme is way better to my eye, and it would have been great if Lego had given us all those silver pieces.

There are SO MANY visually interesting trains from the past. And Lego gives us this? I know they did the Emerald Night, but who says that has to be the only "historic" train they do?

• leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Really like this set, I have been toying with a venture onto the railroad, this might just swing it..

Is there a thread that explains 'trains' in general as I have a few questions?

- There appear to be two systems - 9v and city, how interchangeable are they?
    - I see the maersk can be power-functioned, is this with the 9v or from other sets such as the passenger train?
    - Cheaper to buy a set than to buy individual parts?
    - Is there a difference in the tracks?

Thanks for any help in advance!
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @leego76 First of all you need to know that LEGO does not make 9V trains any more, you would have to purchase everything in the aftermarket. I can't think of a general train thread to direct you to so here are basic answers

The two systems are not very compatible, you can run PF trains on 9V track but not the other way around.

The Maersk can be adapted to either system but was probably designed with PF in mind and I believe has a list of necessary parts on the box.

I think it's cheaper to buy a set, people seem to love the Yellow Cargo Train but we do 9V so I wouldn't know. Some 9V sets are much cheaper than others.

Yes, the track is different. The 9V track carries the current that powers the trains, PF track is just plastic. There are two versions of the plain track, people don't seem to like the flexible track much but I don't have any myself.

Hope that helps.
  • turtle1173turtle1173 Member Posts: 230
    Yeah, the 9V is definitely more like the HO electric trains that many of us grew up with that had the electric current running through the track. The PF, I believe, makes things more portable, which is a big plus in my house.

The flex track gets a lot of bad press but a little of it is great. Especially for kids that don't have everything lined up just right. If you don't have all the right angles, you can usually still make it work with some small sections of flex track here and there. It comes in handy for us.

As to this new train, I just can't begin to say how excited I am for it. I really enjoy the trains and I sure love watching my son run it around too.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    This is a fantastic looking set... even if it is orange. And the TGV is historic, just in a different way than a steam engine.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    While looking a little closer at the pics i realised that TLG used the cheese-mosaic(kinda)technique to create the arrow on the side of the train! Is this the first time a official set use this technique?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,445
    I hope you guys guess better in the Predictions in the Secondary Market ;)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,423
    edited September 2012

Yea, I didn't that was it either, I was expecting another Large Scale Model like Tower Bridge.

If it is just the train, that is nice, but not a TB replacement, more of a Maersk Train replacement.

If this is a 'replacement' for the Maersk train Id say start buying more now if it will only be around for about 1 year, instead I wonder if the Passenger train is going away from City with this as a replacement, after the Passenger train has been out for a while now, same with Yellow Cargo train.

For some odd reason the more I look at the train, the more I think of a knockoff Enlighten train. I don't know if it is the actual train itself or the packaging.
    This is clearly not a replacement for City Passenger Train, or it shouldn't be. City Passenger Train comes with power functions, comes with track, this comes with neither. It also is a brick built train that is far more complex than the City train, and the ages are wrong.

It is a perfect replacement for Maersk Cargo Train, which seems soon, but nothing says that they can't sell both for a year either.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,423
    edited September 2012

For some odd reason the more I look at the train, the more I think of a knockoff Enlighten train. I don't know if it is the actual train itself or the packaging.

Enlighten train?! Go wash out your mouth.. We will simply not tolerate THAT kind of language around here, mister!!!!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,445
    Maybe if when you ride in the train you become more informed. Maybe @LegoFanTexas should take a ride ;)