Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Target Store Displays

nexhexnexhex Member Posts: 11
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I would like to get my hands on a plastic display case that you would see at Target. The kind that lights up as soon as you walk in front of it.
I don't ever hear anybody talking about these...not sure if it has been 'over discussed'.

Does anybody know about what happens to these when they are done with them? Any kind of information would be helpful.

Any kind of LEGO store display or signage would be fun to collect.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    I saw a few on craigslist chicago about a month ago - one coast guard set - the boat and the copter I believe and a power miners one. They might still be up there.

I've also seen them on bricklink, but they are pricey.

I agree that they are cool as hell though, and I'd like to get a few... Particularly the Indiana Jones one from a few years back - I think it showcased the opening scene of raiders.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I've been looking for those too, My local John Lewis donates them to a Children's hospice and TRU never have them ;-)
    (Though what they can do with them as they're glued is anybody's guess)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,228
    I've seen them on eBay; they don't seem to command very high prices, so if they come up (and it's certainly not very often) you might be lucky....
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    I've heard that the displays are meant to be returned to LEGO or otherwise disposed of, but are not supposed to be sold or taken home by an employee. Of course, as with all things, a few fall through the cracks, but I concur that between sellers overvaluing them and the likelihood that the typical collector interested in such an item is short on the required space to actually display it, there doesn't seem to be much of a market.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited May 2011
    From what I heard, it's probably a Target store employee who snags these as they swap 'em out for others and puts them on eBay(rocao's right, they're supposed to just be thrown out).
    Like Mathew above said, they're all glued and when you see the figs they have large goops of glue at their feet so they're not the best looking displays at times.
    I asked my local Lego store if I could get some of their backdrop displays(the star wars ones look great) when they change for each promotion but they can't give them or sell them to customers. They told me they just throw them in the dumpsters...ughhh, what a waste. Some have real nice artwork.
  • nexhexnexhex Member Posts: 11
    ^ You know you're a LEGO addict when you get caught in the LEGO store dumpster.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    ^...lol...dumpster divin' for Lego!...that's me...;)
  • daveace21daveace21 Member Posts: 41
    @nethex I agree. I love these displays and would love to have some in my collection...but as @rocao mentioned, the displays are supposed to be returned back to LEGO. Over the years I have asked store employees at Toys R us and Target if there was any way to get my hands on one...but each time the employees said the same thing. The ones available on Bricklink slipped through the cracks...or the back door!!! LOL !!! I do have one small display that I got on EBAY years ago, it is a hard plastic bubble lego soccer display from 2000. The one where you kick a goal and when you score that crowd roars!!! It is a nice addition to my collection.
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGO-AGENTS-2-0-ORIGINAL-CREATION-DISPLAY-CABINET-/380335075192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588dbcaf78

There are a few interesting ones on ebay right now... I think you'll pay a premium there and on BL though. I saw two on craigslist the other day for cheap... I'd suggest you keep looking there.
  • nexhexnexhex Member Posts: 11
    ^50missioncap...Thanks for checking things out. I had a feeling sellers would hike the price up accordingly. I need to find someone local as the shipping would be ridiculous and would probably get all torn up in transit.
  • tommyboatommyboa Member Posts: 35
    saw this one posted at least twice, http://quadcities.craigslist.org/clt/2341600016.html
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 922
    @tommyboa: That is actually not a bad deal for someone who lives in that area. Those are really cool sets, especially with the space minifigs.