Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Shrinkflation Stinkflation

Just found out that as well as jacking up the prices of older plush figures, the new ones (shark, banana, fox, penguin costume minifigures) have all shrunk in size from 33cm (13") to 22cm (9"), that's about the size of the alarm clocks. The licensed figures (Star Wars, Harry Potter) do seem to be as big as before, but cost a lot more. Collectors will not be impressed.

I also noticed a while ago that with the production of Ninjago torch figures, these torches had shrunk from around 5x minifig size to just 3x. That's like that smaller Darth Vader one that stands next to the alarm clock rather than IS the alarm clock.

All too easy to be duped when it's just a picture on a website and they all appear to be the same size.
560Heliport

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,403
    I'm surprised there are collectors for the plushes!

I thought the move to smaller torches was a good one when they went to LEDs. They are much more useful and kid friendly being smaller. I can understand if you want a larger display figure they are less good, but if using it as a torch it is a good move.
    Fizyx
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 822
    I bought a couple of plushies (ie 2!) for my kids when we were at Legoland Windsor but not something I’d collect. The torches on the other hand, I loved the large sized torches and have a small collection of them:

Always looking to add to the collection, unfortunately the non-blue classic spacemen are extremely hard to get hold of and the prices are astronomical…
    Switchfoot55andhelowleadMarshallmario
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,128
    I saw the new Star Wars Xmas plushies the other day. I'm actually very tempted by chewbacca and somewhat tempted by Vader and the stormtrooper. Are these ever available at a discount, or is the only option full price from Lego directly?
    Did the Vader torch come with a lightsaber? I bought the figure from a bootsale (for a whole £1!) as a display item but he didn't have one.
    andhe
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 822
    @ccc I think there are 2 versions of the Vader torch as I've seen him with and without the lightsaber, the one without the saber has the lights in his feet and the one with the saber the lightsaber lights up. Mine the hand is attached to the hilt permanently but the hand can be detached with the saber!
    Yeah, mine has lights in the feet. Although his feet are also full of plasticine,  at least I hope that is what it is.
    andhe
  • JoefishJoefish Member Posts: 15
    I've seen two versions of Vader on the shelves, with and without the saber. In the torch / night-light the saber is entirely separate and glows off its own batteries. The same goes for Yoda.

The earlier plain minifig style had a push-on, push-off raised switch in the chest. And I think I've seen a Vader like that too, but I might be confusing him with the police motorcyclist. The later ones - most of the licensed and Chima figures - were marketed as a night-light for kids (rather than simply a torch), which is why many of them they come with a translucent base to stand on and have a timer function. Those have a flush push switch on the front and a small sliding switch on the back to swap between hold-for-on torch mode and 30-minutes-on night light mode.

But there's also a desk lamp / reading light version of Vader where the lightsaber is fixed in the hand and contains a much brighter strip of white LEDs.
  • JoefishJoefish Member Posts: 15
    Interesting thing about the torch figures most people don't know - even though they're not an exact multiple of a minifig in size (a little under 5x), they are exactly the same scale that they can stand on the 2x6 studs of a Friends pencil case!
    Switchfoot55FizyxMarshallmarioBobflipandhemessy