Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

4645 - Why $90????

50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
So I was at tru today and was trying to decide between 7066 and 4645... I'm more of a city guy, but dabble in sci-fi - space police, starwars, etc...

I love the grain ship, but why is a set $90 with only 500 elements? The beach house had more elements, and it was $29.99... I love this set, but just can't justify.. perhaps during a sale..

Comments

• brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2011
    ^ It's the hull. If you look at 7207 Fire Boat you can see it has a similar price per piece at 16 cents. The 7739 Coast Guard Patrol Boat was cheaper per piece, but that was a few years back and it still had a high per piece cost at around 13 cents.
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    I had the same decision today, 4645 vs 7066...and while I decided that I will eventually buy BOTH, today the 4645 went home with me. I just have a soft spot for harbor/airport type sets, and didn't want to (potentially) miss out on another harbor. With that said, I found the 7066 to be incredible, and all of the AC sets looked fabulous.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    ^ Agreed - I saw the A.C. sets for the first time today and they're all superb. I felt pretty virtuous just restricting my purchasing to 7066. Man, it's a beaut ! The new city sets also looked OK to me.....too many big parts for my liking, but not sufficiently offensive to stop me picking them up eventually.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ what happened to waiting for at least 30% off before purchasing AC ;-)
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    @talas - I really dig the 4645 and have a soft spot for anything with a nautical theme... got all the coast guard sets from 08 and the new light house the day it hit my TRU... I debated for a half hour, but felt that the 7066 would be a more enjoyable build with greater moc-ability... Definitely picking up the 4645 at some point. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Just need to sell some stuff on craigslist so my wife doesn't find out how expensive these things really are.
    ^^ That's why I only bought one of the A.C. sets today as a little treat - I'd have bought the whole lot if the discount had been 30% or more rather than just 20%.....!
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    Dr. Dave - have you built yet? I'm going to start tonight.
    ^ Nope, but looking forward to some uninterrupted time to do so....
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I just picked up 4644 and 4645 for £94
    I'm in the process of reviewing
  • hhcBrickhhcBrick UKMember Posts: 3
    Apologies- I'm a little late to this discussion. When I first saw this year's new Harbour sets, I wasn't won over. 4645 has some quite nice features, but in terms of detail and design I think the classic town 6541 and 6542 sets are much nicer. They also feature boat hulls made from multiple parts rather than the current single-hull floating designs. As for the new 4644 Marina, it's nowhere near as well-deisnged as 6543. I think I'd only consider getting 4645 if heavily discounted and then I'd modify and enlarge it to make it less 'juniorised'.