Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rumours about Star Wars UCS models

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,764
    ^^^ Obviously no cats in that household.
    GothamConstructionCo
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    ^ I would say no air in that household.
    rancorbait
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    ^ No matter, not able to breathe. ;o)
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 783
    CCC said:

^^^ Obviously no cats in that household.

LOL. The thought of a cat jumping up on the windowsill having a sniff and a rub made me lough more than that whiney girl in the YouTube video in the BTTF thread and her excessive use of the word umm.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Wow!! That is unbelievably cool! Is it another one of your creations? More views? Piece count? LDD files?
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I can tell you that the UCS Falcon cannot support the weight of a full-grown male Himalayan cat. :)
  • FernlagoonFernlagoon Member Posts: 2
    Hi this is my first post on here, period. So I apologize for being naive. But what does UCS stand for? I think that the Star Wars theme is great but never got into it due to the vast number of sets out there and not nearly enough money to buy them all. But anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good Star Wars Set to start with? Thanks everyone!
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    ^ Ultimate Collectors series
  • FernlagoonFernlagoon Member Posts: 2
    Oh ok thanks!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Fernlagoon welcome to the board! Here's a link to the UCS catalog:

http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Star Wars&subtheme=Ultimate Collector Series

Since Lego decided to start the cycle over again by re-releasing the X-Wing, I would say #10240 is a great place to start. But if that is a bit out of budget, then the regular system scale version of it is pretty darn good too #9493.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    @fernlagoon yes welcome! If you want something middle of the road the current Millenium Falcon that is available is a great way to dip your toes into the realm, the world awaits you!
    Diggydoes
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The current X-Wing and TIE Fighter are very good models, indeed, start with those if you like vehicles. The current Falcon is also nice, but wait for a sale on it. The X-Wing and TIE Fighter are both on sale now @ Amazon.
    Dannyspen
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    You may want to check out Walmart as well. Mine has the current x wing clearanced out at $40 and the tie fighter at $35.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    So when do we start making rumours and wish lists for 2014? I guess we're not going to see anything before the May 5th standard release, just a question of what it is, something new or a "re-imagination"
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ That would be awesome! I'm still waiting for a Republic Venator class Star Destroyer too, maybe this year? as the sets are heavily EP III based :-)
    cardgeniusAdeelZubair
    ^ A Republic Venator Class Star Destroyer would be nice, but not this time around. You won't be disappointed. :o)
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,004
    As we've already seen a re-make (well sort-of) I just hope they'll do a new Star Destroyer. I've wanted one for several years but can't stomach the cost of a MISB 10030 (especially as quite a few are in the old greys, which I'm not a fan of, and knowing my luck I'd end up with one!).

However, a UCS Slave 1 would be nice......Anio's version would take some beating!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ I'd like them to do a Slave 1 but I hope it isn't the next UCS. I just built the one Anio designed and want something else first =)
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    I predicted it many moons ago but I'm still sticking with a standard Tie Fighter as the next UCS ship, to go with the current X-Wing.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    A little bird tweeted tie in my ear.
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Think we can pretty much lump on it being a slave 1 if certain people / flumps are dropping hints.. Looking forward to it
    Slave 1, Tie, I don't care anymore, I just want something NEW! No more remakes!
    How many UCS remakes have we had?

And that was after... what, 13 years?

While it would suck if it was endless remakes from this point forward, a single release does not a pattern make, and if anything was going to be remade, the X-Wing makes sense, it is by far the best selling ship in Star Wars.
    HarryPotterLover
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    A slave-1 would be nice as long as it doesnt use that windscreen! Anios is too small and mine is also, id prefer an a-wing etc but a slave it is i fear
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,004
    cavegod said:

A slave-1 would be nice as long as it doesnt use that windscreen! Anios is too small and mine is also, id prefer an a-wing etc but a slave it is i fear

I agree that the windscreen is a bit small, but I don't think that it will look any worse than the one on the UCS B-Wing!

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    edited October 2013
    +1 for a slave 1 or medical frigate.

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    I'd rather have a UCS AT-AT. No chance of an ISD in 2014 with SSD still in circulation in 2013. I could live with a Slave I if it's significantly better than #8097. Is Slave I big enough in reality to be a minifig scale UCS? 8097 to fig ratio seems a little small, but not massively undersized.
    margot
    Slave 1 in minifig scale would work well.

In "real life", Slave 1 is 21.5m long, 21.3m wide, 7.8m tall.

That works out to 54cm long, 53cm wide, 20cm tall.

That is a nice size model, but not too big, for a UCS. It sure would be "ultimate"! :)
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Long-shot but I hope for the Medical Frigate.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    I don't actually mind what model we get too much, just as long as it is the definitive version of whatever it is.
    HarryPotterLover
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    I've got pretty close to official confirmation that the next UCS model will be a bust of George Lucas.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,976
    ^I think play dough would be a better medium for that.
    edited October 2013
    He's not wrong.

Our first UCS will be released in May 2014, the second in September.

Behold our two 2014 UCS models.......
    FollowsCloselyLegoFanTexasjasorGothamConstructionCo

How many UCS remakes have we had?

And that was after... what, 13 years?

While it would suck if it was endless remakes from this point forward, a single release does not a pattern make, and if anything was going to be remade, the X-Wing makes sense, it is by far the best selling ship in Star Wars.

Yeah, I know, I just don't wan't them to continue the trend.
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    George only agreed if they would do a follow up UCS of his choice for 2015 though. This isn't watermarked so I think it's safe:

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,976
    ^I heard it includes a sound brick that includes '5 Fun Jar-Jar Phrases'
    I'd rather buy the George Lucas dartboard.

I've got pretty close to official confirmation that the next UCS model will be a bust of George Lucas.

Slave 1 in minifig scale would work well.

In "real life", Slave 1 is 21.5m long, 21.3m wide, 7.8m tall.

That works out to 54cm long, 53cm wide, 20cm tall.

That is a nice size model, but not too big, for a UCS. It sure would be "ultimate"! :)

I'd like one of that size, maybe they could do a dual version with some extra parts making it a Jango version if required? Doubt that would happen, so I could settle for it coming with Boba, Icecube Han and a Bespin Guard or two.

• vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Cavegod's Sandcrawler with a ton of Jawas. Or that Ep2 arena with the cute beasties.
    legomatt
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Ooh a Slave 1 in UCS scale would make me a pretty happy boy, just need to work out how I'd reconfigure my shelves...
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    edited October 2013
    They are bound to start remaking more UCS models now. Slave 1 and medical frigate are the only memorable ships left to do, and the medical frigate would only be for the die hard fans much like the B-wing was. I'll be looking forward to a new UCS Snowspeeder whenever they decide to do it.

Looking at the database, it seems 10129 came out 10 years ago. I don't know when it retired, but that is a good length of time to have passed by.
    edited October 2013
    ^With new Episodes scheduled, there is no need to continue this practice for the UCS line. 1 time is already enough to dirty the UCS heritage. At least do a partial rehash with a new TIE Fighter or Bomber. There is no lack of OT-based material so long as the to-do list still includes UCS Slave-1, AT-AT, Venator, Sandcrawler, A-wing, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Vader-bust, etc.

But of course Lego is always free to shoot themselves in the foot if they like. Just as they did this year on the UCS line.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Dougout said:

They are bound to start remaking more UCS models now. Slave 1 and medical frigate are the only memorable ships left to do...

As much as I like the frigates, I'd be afraid that it would be too out of scale, ala the SSD, with tons of minute, gray greebling. Even so, there are more ships out there more popular than the frigates that could get the UCS treatment like the A-Wing, Landspeeder, TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber, Speeder Bike & Sandcrawler. Then there are lots of scenes and (please no more) busts they could choose to do.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921

^With new Episodes scheduled, there is no need to continue this practice for the UCS line. 1 time is already enough to dirty the UCS heritage. At least do a partial rehash with a new TIE Fighter or Bomber. There is no lack of OT-based material so long as the to-do list still includes UCS Slave-1, AT-AT, Venator, Sandcrawler, A-wing, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Vader-bust, etc.

But of course Lego is always free to shoot themselves in the foot if they like. Just as they did this year on the UCS line.

Not sure how they're shooting themselves in the foot by not letting an increasingly small number of people who have been LEGO Star Wars fans from the beginning define what sets they can and can't make. Especially when doing otherwise would mean letting the most iconic ship in the franchise remain one of the most outdated, underwhelming sets in the UCS lineup.

I don't think any of the other previous UCS sets are screaming for an update the way the X-Wing was. The TIE Interceptor was an odd choice for the first wave of UCS sets to begin with, given its minimal screen time. And the other iconic craft like the Y-Wing, Imperial Shuttle, and Millennium Falcon haven't had as much time to age. I wouldn't be opposed to a UCS TIE Fighter, though. After all, the 2012 minifig-scale version effectively demonstrated that the LEGO Group has the parts and the know-how to build a much more detailed set of wings than they had ever done previously.

On a personal level, I'd love some UCS podracers (or for that matter, just more podracers in general), but I understand that Episode I is not popular with a number of Star Wars fans. I just have a particular amount of nostalgia for it, given that it was such a big event in my childhood. So those are probably not very high up on the roster of likely future UCS sets.

I doubt the new episodes will necessarily have new UCS sets tying in with them. It's not impossible, but the only one we got to tie in with Episode I was a relatively small one, scarcely larger than minifigure scale, and we never saw any for Episodes II and III until well after those movies had left theaters. Since the UCS line is targeted at adults and other dyed-in-the-wool fans, appealing to nostalgia is probably a lot safer than banking on hype for a new installment.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited October 2013
    I think LEGO learned a lesson trying to appeal to the niche hardcore SW fanboys with some of the recent offerings, I don't think that is bound to be repeated anytime soon. Hard to see a Frigate or Calamari Cruiser ever being done. My guess is we are going to see the repeating of the 2013 pattern in 2013 - iconic vehicle UCS in May, and a set piece in September (Cantina I hope, but Cloud City is a decent backup), then in May 2015 we will start seeing stuff from the new movies.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Aanchir said:

Especially when doing otherwise would mean letting the most iconic ship in the franchise remain one of the most outdated, underwhelming sets in the UCS lineup.

I don't think any of the other previous UCS sets are screaming for an update the way the X-Wing was.
    I agree with most of what you said, save for this small part. Aside from the S-Foil mechanism, which is actually pretty brilliant, 10240 is a substantially worse and much lazier design than 7191.

Between 10240 and 75020, it seems like even the quality of the OT models is slipping, which I didn't feel was the case a few years ago. And, though I'd actually like to see a UCS Snowspeeder that actually looks like a Snowspeeder... I don't know that I trust them to design one that looks better than 10129 (though, admittedly, the original wouldn't be very difficult to top).

At any rate, I've come to terms with the idea of the UCS re-hash in general, but when you release a new model over a decade later that's completely eclipsed by the original in terms of quality... that bums me out. I'd rather have a new 'relatively insignificant' model than an inferior ship like we got this year.
    @Aanchir I am anti-rehash when it comes to all the special Lego sets, not just SW UCS. I would be against re-hashing, re-issue in different colors or 'improving' any of the Modulars, Scupltures, Trains, Pirate Ships, Expert Creators, etc. And for the most part, TLG has stayed aligned with this philosophy. But then decided to deviate this year for the UCS line with a X-Wing rehash. Just like @y2josh says, I'd much prefer something new than treading the same ground again, regardless how many copies they can sell of it.

And a rehash that was not superior to the original a decade earlier either to boot. That was a shot to the foot IMO. The second shot to the foot is not releasing a proper UCS set in the 2nd half of the year as usually scheduled. As the excellent and well-designed Ewok Village is not a UCS set (no such thing as a UCS playset so far, just like the Death Star & CC isn't). So this theme got hosed for 2013 from my point of view.
    ^ I'd love a non-branded modern train, that might be considered a rehash of the old BNSF or Maersk Trains, but a nice old-school GE diesel-electric would be nice.
    Farmer_John
    After some consideration, realized that not every year got 2 UCS releases. And the worst UCS year was not this one, but was 2009 when no official UCS set was released. And it was interesting 2002 got 3 sets.

2000 = X-wing, TIE Interceptor
    2001 = Rebel Blockade, Darth Maul Bust
    2002 = ISD, Naboo SF, Yoda Bust
    2003 = Snowspeeder, (Cloud City)
    2004 = Y-wing
    2005 = Death Star II
    2006 = TIE Advanced, AT-ST
    2007 = Millenium Falcon
    2008 = Grievous, (Death Star)
    2009 = None
    2010 = Jedi SF, Imperial Shuttle
    2011 = SSD