Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Alien Conquest 7066

50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Hey guys,

Seriously thinking about grabbing the 7066 (Earth Defense HQ) this weekend... I'm more of a city guy, but this set really intrigues me. I think the MOC possibilities on this one are huge!!!! There's only 1 review on BS right now, so I wanted to see if anyone else had it / their opinion on it before I shell out $90 on it tonight....

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    edited May 2011
    The AC sets are excellent. I've built the smallest 5 and all are very well designed and great to build and play with. All the figs are superbly detailed and the new blue colour is very nice. I'll be getting 7066 at the weekend. I'm not so keen on the large saucer-thingy but will probably end up buying it eventually :-)

And now we have their designer in the forum, I'll make one observation: the 'copter is great, http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7067-1 , but looks so much better without the rotors. I've turned mine into a plane, I hope you don't mind :)
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2011
    I love the Alien Conquest theme. The icing on the cake with the Earth Defense HQ is the Vic Viper on top, with the nod to nnenn in the stickering.
    the 'copter is great, http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7067-1 , but looks so much better without the rotors.
    HA, I agree - I said the same thing on a review elsewhere.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    7049, the little £4 set, is a great army builder. Having two good figs, some great bricks, & a spare trans clear visor for £4 is my idea of a great set. Can't wait until they actual get the damn things in to my local Brand store, so I can buy a big stack of them & get VIP points. Julie (my wife) has even been ordering stuff of Bricklink to build some modified versions of the alien craft ...
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    Debating on 7066 and 7067.... both have excellent moc potential... any advice?
    You could get 2x7067 & still have some change left over compared to the 7066 ... but it all depends which one you like the best. 7066 probably has more potential as a basis for a custom model.
    I agree bluemoose... I'm thinking of treads for the 7066...
  • CrackseedCrackseed Member Posts: 90
    Girlfriend just bought me 7066 last night for my birthday gift - I'll be putting it together soon and planning to post a review for it like I did for the prior sets. But just going by the stuff I've looked at with it already, it's amazing - probably one of my all time new favorite sets now. There's a great review of it also at Eurobricks [I believe we have a link to it from here too via the review/browser section]

But yes, get it. Whether you want to keep it assembled or MOC it out, it's an amazing set.
    Just picked up the 7066 from my TRU... looks awesome. As I said initially, I'm more of a city guy, but this set is waaaaay too cool to pass up. The new harbor set - 4645 looks cool, but $90 for 500 elements seemed a bit too steep... that ship looks sweet though.
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    Saw 7066 today, looked like an awesome set. Definitely on my short list, maybe next payday. Bought the new harbor instead today.
  • LEGO_NabiiLEGO_Nabii Member Posts: 34
    The 7067 is far better without the rotor blades as Huw points out. My advise is to replace them and the blue 1x3bows that hold them in place with a 2x2 yellow tile and two 1x6 blue tiles. I never liked it as a chopper either, but that was the design brief!

Glad everyone seems to like the sets. Thanks.
    edited May 2011
    A quote from Mark (^) that come via the Ambassadors, about the 'nnenn' tribute -
    If you want to pass some information along this was initially my idea but Kurt Meysmans the Alien Conquest Graphic Designer also wanted to pay tribute and the artwork is his. He did an awesome job. It was supported by our Design Lead Laurence Dawes, and none of us expected it to be noticed.

It is intended as a personal tribute to a builder who we admired and who influenced many space builders, normally I’d try to sneak my own name on there, but this felt more fitting.

I’d love to say the ship itself was a tribute, but it’s partially based on a MOC of my own that pre-date’s Nnenn’s death; though of course it was influenced a little by his Vic’s Viper inspired Flickr group and he did comment on the original MOC, in his usual brief way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nabii/4098506332/

All the best,

Mark