Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Where do the RRPs come from in the Amazon lists?

StarliteStarlite Melbourne, AustraliaMember Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Brickset.com
G'day,

Just joined up after lurking at Brickset.com for a few months. I love the Amazon EU price list! Surprisingly, the information that I've found most useful is the region-specific RRP data. I use it to help evaluate the value of my purchases. However it's only displayed for sets that are currently available on Amazon. I'm wondering if I can get more.

So, where does the region-specific RRP data in the Amazon EU price lists come from? Where can I see RRPs for older sets?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Starlite said:

Where can I see RRPs for older sets?

Type the set number in the search box at the top of this page, and go. The RRP there is from lego.com (but only in GBP/USD). Of course, RRPs should be the same for every shop, but some companies don't report them as such. TRU especially, Amazon sometimes.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    The RRPs for the UK and USA going back to 2007 come from LEGO.com. Prices for other countries that LEGO ship to are available for the last couple of years.

RRPs for sets prior to 2007 have come from various official lists or have been user contributed/gathered over time.

• StarliteStarlite Melbourne, AustraliaMember Posts: 6
    Thanks for the tips, but that's not actually showing me the information I want.
    For some reason, Lego pricing in Australia is often 2-3 times that in Europe and the USA. So the UK and USA RRPs that are shown on each set's page are not overly useful to me.

Yet the Amazon EU list is displaying Australian RRPs for me. So where is it getting them?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    Starlite said:

Yet the Amazon EU list is displaying Australian RRPs for me. So where is it getting them?

From the Australian [email protected] site.

Aha! Thank you. I presume that's the same as shop.lego.com. Which would mean only sets currently available from Lego online have pricing information available.

Guess I'll have to contact Lego Australia for ideas where to obtain older pricing information.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    ^ Good luck with that....you might be surprised how little information LEGO employees have access to regarding retired sets. Many of them use Brickset....
    Andor
    ^^ As I said above, prices for other countries that LEGO ship to are available for the last couple of years. I scrape lego.com to gather them but have only been doing so since 2010-11 or so.
    Huw,

I may be doing something wrong, because I'm not seeing any Australian pricing information on Brickset's set pages. For example, logged in with my region set to Australia, if I go to the page for a recent set such as 9493, the right column shows the RRP in US$ and UK pounds. Below that is the "Availability at Lego.com" section, which lists USA, UK and Canada only. The only Australia-specific info I can see is in the eBay listings.

What am I missing?

Thanks. :)
    edited September 2012
    It's a bit hidden away at the moment.

On this page for example, http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?Theme=Dino (when in list view)

It should show the RRP in US$ for each set. CLick on the More... link next to them to see prices for other countries.

Less than ideal I agree. I'll see if I can expose them a bit better somewhere.
    Gotcha!

I would humbly suggest a similar, More Prices... link on each set's own page might be appropriate.

Thanks, mate.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,769
    This was the closest discussion I could find related to my question. Otherwise my searching skill leaves something to be disired. I've noticed that the RRP in the first column on the 'Amazon Shopper' are sometimes quite different from the RRP in the page from the set itself. I live in Belgium and the RRP prices I see are in euros. Sometimes the price is the same as the price in dollars, other times it is just a bit higher. For example:Arcitic Base Camp shows RRP €99.99, on the amazon shopper page whereas here: brickset.com/sets/60036-1/Arctic-Base-Camp it's €89.99. obviously this way I think something is a better deal than it actually is. Maybe I am missing something or else my browser is going crazy - anybody any tips?
    I've been checking quite a couple of sets and can't seem to find a link. There are a lot that are the same, but also quite a couple that are different.
    Andor
    The Euro price we show in the Amazon listings is your local price, I believe. The one shown on the set details page is the price in Germany.

If you click on the prices tab at the bottom of the page on http://brickset.com/sets/60036-1/Arctic-Base-Camp you'll see it's £89.99 in Germany but $99.99 in Benelux for reasons best known to LEGO...
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,769
    Ah, thanks @Huw! That does make sense.... (although the price difference does not :-))

Quite a lot of things are cheaper in Germany compared to Belgium (VAT) but between Germany and the Netherlands there should not be such a difference...
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,156
    Could it be implemented so that browsing sets would show the RRP for that user's local region rather than defaulting to US pricing?
    xiahna
    Also, I'm adding Australian RRP's to my sets under notes as I can find & verify them, so if you can retrieve that data, its there if anyone wants add it to main entries.
    xiahna
    ^ Update on adding Australian RRP's, rather that add this to just my sets, I've decided to work through all sets, starting with the latest released. So, again, if you can access this information easily, it can added to the database.
    xiahna
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 4
    How did 0011-2 Town Minifigures get an RRP of $75?  That's not only ridiculous for just three minifigures in a blister pack, but the image of the set has the original price tag still attached where it appears the original price was $4.49 and it was on sale for $2.49.
    No idea. Corrected.
  • prleeprlee UKMember Posts: 163
    Some of the Amazon.co.uk prices in the last few days have been showing up very low with prime shipping but when you click on them, they are being sold by a third party with extortionate shipping. For example, there is a Friends poly shown as £1.06 with Prime shipping. When you click on it, the shipping is £16.90.
    drdavewatfordkiki180703
    We changed the way we obtain the data recently, there may still be some teething troubles. I'll look into it.