Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Technic Durability

kclebakkclebak Member Posts: 9
edited September 2012 in Building and Techniques
I recently purchased my first technic set, the 8081 Extreme Cruiser, and really got hooked on building technic sets. I have since completed the 9397 Logging Truck and have now moved on to the 8110 Unimog U400. About halfway through the Unimog build I realized that I made an orientation mistake, and unfortunately this mistake was very early in the build process. I completely disassembled what I had built and started over. I noticed that some of the elements didn't make that 'click' sound when snapping together and it got me thinking, especially since most technic sets also have a B-model. Do most people build a technic set and leave it built forever, or do people tear them down, do the B-model or their own MOCs? For those that do the later, what is the durabilty of the technic elements from constant connecting/disconnecting? Just curious...

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    The click that you refer to. Was it on a specific type of pin? If so, I noticed the same thing and after a few minutes of testing and comparing, put it down to deliberate design. Despite only being two or three weeks ago, I can't for the life of me remember at what stages they were at.
  • kclebakkclebak Member Posts: 9
    Its really just the connector pins. On first build everything seems to fit together very snug and tight. I just wondered what it would feel like after 5 or 6 rebuilds.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited September 2012
    @kclebak I've never really seen a worn-out connector pin, and I re-build a lot.
  • gdelahoussegdelahousse Member Posts: 153
    I have 30+ year old technic, that I still take apart and rebuilt without issues. The only wear I have seen is on the gears and actuators of motorized sets that are being abused (or having design(cost) flaw and missing a clutch were necessary)