Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Haunted House

Comments

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 908
    I don't think the inclusion of stickers affects this set too badly - just a few windows (can they even print on the transparent window panes?) and things that end up as portraints around the house.

The end result is really nice, it got a thumbs up from my wife (a good indicator of general appeal) and it certainly has plenty of character!

What it definitely isn't is a modular - I was surprised that there was no baseplate and that the front fence just 'sits in front' rather than being at all attached to the house. The sideways-opening-ness of it rather than coming apart in layers also adds more to the doll's house feel of the thing, though it's certainly a nicely spooky one :)

Overall I'd recommend - for the same price as the town hall I'd get that first (though I got it for nothing with VIP points - woohoo!), but I look forward to having the spooky house on the hill in my little town!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    Crazy pricing in other countries. The Haunted House is priced in between FB, GE, PS and Town Hall.

I don't mind the stickers because other than the windows, there aren't any on the outside of the house. If the wood planks were stickers, that would really be terrible.

It makes an awesome Halloween display piece. If you clean it up alittle, it makes a great Victorian home for display. I think there are so many things you could do with this set. You also get a great selection of minifigures and the more zombie heads for Zombie Army Builders.

We all know Lego is expensive, but I think we are all spoiled by great value sets like Medieval Market Village. The minifiures are far superior to those that come with the Modular Buildings and 2 of them are exclusive to this set.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    just finished putting together mine....i really like it. i would LOVE it, if it were $150 or so.image
    littletokijimmyp1982
    Very nice
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    @BrickDancer Diorama looks fantastic! I knew I wanted this set, but that pic just sealed the deal. Love it!
  • ndennden Member Posts: 18
    Got mine too. I like it alot and I wish it could fit with my other modular building sets.

byolego
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Well I finished building it yesterday and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The model has to be up there amongst my favs and love the printed wood 1x4 tiles, hope to see various other sizes in future with the wood print :-)
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    CCC said:

They could also do an invisible man quite easily with bandaged head plus sunglasses.

While playing with the Town Hall and Super Hero sets yesterday, my 3-year-old son made his own Invisible Man by combining pieces including the hat from the Riddler along with the light from the TH lamppost: rather effective, actually.

On another note, any LEGO Store employees know whether the HH will be discounted following Halloween (as the Christmas sets usually are after Dec 25th)? I'd buy the HH if it were reduced 25% on November 1st.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Nice seeing HH in context with the other modulars. I have to say, in old towns and cities I have been in all throughout the northeast, old houses like this are often set back and have more property around them. I am about to start building mine, but it seems as though it would fit in perfectly with how a town actually is. Not all towns have EVERY SINGLE building that is exactly the same width and exactly the same sidewalk width.

Okay, going to crack open the box now...
    @nden

Looks great along side the rest of your Modulars IMO. But from what I understand your saying it doesn't fit in with the modulars as the connectors don't match up, correct?

Too bad. But as brickupdate states above, the Mansion would have a little green space between it and any other building around it in a real world setting. Could be a good opportunity to incorporate the graveyard halloween pack and the Werewolf tree on either side of the mansion.

Man I can't wait to grab this set!

Nice seeing HH in context with the other modulars. I have to say, in old towns and cities I have been in all throughout the northeast, old houses like this are often set back and have more property around them. I am about to start building mine, but it seems as though it would fit in perfectly with how a town actually is. Not all towns have EVERY SINGLE building that is exactly the same width and exactly the same sidewalk width.

Okay, going to crack open the box now...

Yes, you wouldn't find this house up against other city buildings. They would have property around them. Although you will find rows of "painted Victorians" in San Francisco with very little space between them. Some of the older cities and villages you will still find rows of Victorian homes although they have bigger spaces between them.
    What one could do is buy several of these sets and make a residential area along side your city buildings. All you need to do is put the side entrance in the back of the Haunted House. I'm planning on doing this in the future, but I need to modify the Haunted House and make it into a true Modular Building.
  • ndennden Member Posts: 18
    If someone could modify this haunted house to match other modular building sets, I'd love to know how. I'm looking forward to it. Here is what's in my mind how I modify it: turn it into 3 floors, replace the 2 left side windows to the back....

I wish I could have more of those color bricks.
    The attic is the third floor so to speak. I'm sure someone is working on it right now...somewhere...lol. I just need to grab another copy. The fireplace might cause a problem as well, but it should be an easy fix after you take the hinge bricks out.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Wow. Just built this with my boys this weekend. Because of limited time and my boy's interests in regular lines like Ninjago and PotC, I have yet to build any of the more AFOL oriented sets. Truly an awesome build. Even my 10 year olds said it was the most fun he had had building a set. Now modulars are on the top of his Christmas list.

The set looks awesome on the kitchen island. I'm really tempted to go order the castle and train to crest a bigger Halloween display.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ The Hearse and the Wolfman are a must with the Haunted House. Use the tree that comes with wolfman to decorate the front of the house, and park that hearse off to the side!
  • StompingFreakStompingFreak United KingdomMember Posts: 59
    mr_benn said:

I don't think the inclusion of stickers affects this set too badly - just a few windows (can they even print on the transparent window panes?) and things that end up as portraints around the house.

The end result is really nice, it got a thumbs up from my wife (a good indicator of general appeal) and it certainly has plenty of character!

What it definitely isn't is a modular - I was surprised that there was no baseplate and that the front fence just 'sits in front' rather than being at all attached to the house. The sideways-opening-ness of it rather than coming apart in layers also adds more to the doll's house feel of the thing, though it's certainly a nicely spooky one :)

Overall I'd recommend - for the same price as the town hall I'd get that first (though I got it for nothing with VIP points - woohoo!), but I look forward to having the spooky house on the hill in my little town!

I agree, but on one point. A set this good shouldn't have any stickers. Plus some of the wooden planks arn't printed. I love this set. Monster Fighters or not, this is a great set. But for the price, stickers are and only part printed wood work is a ripe off. Lego keep doing this, and we lap it up. This set should be 10/10 but for limited printed pieces, and stickers it gets 7/10 for the price.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    I love this set, and I am very glad we purchased it. My kids built it. Each completed one of the books, and I had them split the minifig and accessories from the first bag.

I actually like that the front gate is not attached. We moved it off to the side a bit, and added trick-or-treaters approaching the gate.

I want the Monster Fighter tree with the werewolf, but for now, I built my own tree to go with the set.

As others have said, I do wish the set was $149.99, but the set is below the .10 mark.

I also am now looking forward to the one modular I purchased.

• emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    I do love the HH. Great set. I put red LED flashlights inside and turned off the lights...very cool effect.

There is something that I noticed. If you look at the alternate images on Brickset for #10228 you will see that the Ghosts have minifig legs. In the set itself and the box art the Ghosts do not have minifg legs but rather a 1x2 plate and a 1x2 brick. Having built them both ways the legs work better, although the brick is sufficient. I just thought it of interest.
    LadyLovesLegos
    Yes, we used battery-powered orange micro-led lights. Very nice.

@sidersdd I really like you build. I love the pumpkin head Dracula.
  • lovelegolovelego Member Posts: 16
    The HH is not in my country yet. All your comments are making me wanting to get one. Planning to have a friend bring it back in a suitcase from UK. What size is the box? Is it similar to the FB or more the MM box size?
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    @lovelego - exactly the same size a Fire Brigade box
  • lovelegolovelego Member Posts: 16
    Thanks leemcg. looks like it won't fit into a suitcase then ;(
    If you are going to open it. Take all the bags out and flatten the box.
    lovelego
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    This set is listed at TRU now. And $10 under MSRP too. Currently OOS.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Winter Cottage is listed too. But $20 over MSRP.
    God know's what has been going on at Lego. I now have built 3 hunted House's and part 4219256 is missing. Should be in bag set 2. This is now the 12th Lego set this year that has missing parts. Anyone else not had this part?
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ Can't find any reference to that part on LEGO PAB or Bricklink's set inventory for Haunted House. So, not sure what part you are referring to.

I have had missing pieces in various large sets this past year. I'm fortunate enough to have a decent size spare piece bucket, so I've been able to substitue without ordering the missing pieces from Bricklink/LEGO.
    StompingFreak
    My kids built it, and I would have heard much frustration if any piece would have been missing. I'm assuming we had no issues with it. I am sure it will happen at some point, but we haven't had a missing piece yet in any set.
    Its a 1x2x2 hinge. it connect the two parts so you can open the house.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639

God know's what has been going on at Lego. I now have built 3 hunted House's and part 4219256 is missing. Should be in bag set 2. This is now the 12th Lego set this year that has missing parts. Anyone else not had this part?

4219256 is the exact Part Number, but most people reference parts by their Design ID which is not color-specific. These are usually 4 or 5 digit numbers.

Part 4219256 = 2429c01 Hinge Plate Assembly in Light Bluish Gray

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2429c01&colorID=86&in=A

4219256 is the exact Part Number, but most people reference parts by their Design ID which is not color-specific. These are usually 4 or 5 digit numbers.

Part 4219256 = 2429c01 Hinge Plate Assembly in Light Bluish Gray

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2429c01&colorID=86&in=A
    Thats the one.
    We definitely have that piece then in our set.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    sidersdd said:

This set is listed at TRU now. And $10 under MSRP too. Currently OOS.

Yeah I was surprised (and miffed) that TRU is selling The Haunted House $10 cheaper than lego.com. I already got mine as soon as it came out in September.

One could probably gets it cheaper with various TRU promo....

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    byolego said:

One could probably gets it cheaper with various TRU promo....

That's exactly what I'm waiting for... can't wait for the next BOGO50!
    Just finished building this two nights ago. Working on the sidewalk, trick or treaters and graveyard now.

Will post some pics when I have it all set up.

No parts missing in my set.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,617
    I am building mine tonight. :}
    Finished my first Diorama this past week just in time for Halloween!

Thanks to Siderssd and Brickdancer for some of the ideas. Displayed it at the front door last night and many trick r treaters we very impressed.

I just started a flickr account and not sure if the link below will work or not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8145541797/in/photostream/lightbox/

cwhlsT_LarsRomanticWarrior
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    Very very cool. I love how the little fancy dress people have real heads holding the helmets :) Awesome work.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Is it still available at TRU? Can't seem to find any at Lego or Amazon.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    ^ OOS @ TRU
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^^Amazon has never carried it to my knowledge. The expected ship date at Lego is December 1.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Haunted-House-10228
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Boo.. Of course when I finally decide to buy it I can't get it.
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 2,093
    Started building HH yesterday - just got Book 3 to get through.
    For anyone who hasn't yet got hold of one of these, do it!!! Fab set with loads and loads of great little features :-)
    I bought it the day it came out. Mostly for a display piece at our place of business. Everyone loved it. I enjoy seeing everyone's displays. Keep up the good work guys :)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,352
    I hope to get one tomorrow, from everyone's comments on here it sounds as though I won't be disappointed!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 817
    I built this set before the hurricane hit and then again after it hit during daylight hours so I could see. Ths set is beautiful, amazingly detailed (the folding attic stairs are smart), and the color is spot on. I would recommend this set to anyone who wants a great build and a finished product that you are likely to display for years and years to come.

This is my 2nd favorite set since becoming an AFOL in 2006, just behind The Green Grocer. The parts in this set are so awesome that I picked up two of this set (1 was free with VIP points and other promos).
    murphquake
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    So... does anyone know when (if) it will be carried by amazon? Not sure if I should keep waiting or just buy now from [email protected]
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    edited January 2013