Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Haunted House

Comments

• MandarineMandarine Member Posts: 31
    ^^^ @Si
    The Castle is a great set. The reviews have been stellar - some have said that it's one of the greatest castles LEGO has ever released.

Personally, I really enjoyed building it. There are tons of details in it, more than the HH IMO. Plus you get the cool little car! If you can't afford both (space or otherwise) I'd start with the Castle, definitely. The bonus is that it's cheaper, too.

In any case, I think the HH will be around for a while. After the hype dies down, people might start to see the Castle as a good alternative, if they really want one big set from that theme.

I have both and like many here, the HH appeals to me on different levels. People have mentioned the parts value and the easy ability to modify it into a traditional Victorian, if that's your thing.

Having said that, have you the seen the awesome mod of the Vampyre Castle into Arkham Asylum, over on Eurobricks? It's worth checking out!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,298
    MorkMan said:

@flump and @pitfall69
    Returned it tonight. Exchanged it for the Ghost Train, a PAB cup and a ManBat CMF.
    Still have a hefty amount left on the gift card I received. I feel better.
    At least they let me keep the orange brick separator from it. Ah, the memories.

So you had opened it, half built it and then wanted a refund? What did you tell them when you returned it?

It seems that you have had the fun (or not in your case) of building it, then return it for a refund.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    MorkMan said:

Returned it tonight.

Noooooooooooo.
    ^^ and ^^^ It's a shame that the HH discussion has spread over two threads. As I mentioned on the other thread, the castle appears to have a lot more panels and wall pieces and complete roof sections, whereas the HH is more of a traditional lego build from bricks. Do you prefer size over build? I've not seen up close or built either of them. The castle looks bigger for the money, but much easier to put together - more of a kids / play set compared to the HH being closer to a modular set (as hinted at by LFT).
    leemcg
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 352
    With all the comparisons between the HH and the VC, I understand that price point and playability are key factors, as with most all Lego sets. I believe, though, it's like comparing apples to...another kind of apple. The VC is a more aligned with the rest of the series, with the vehicle and the little Popsicle pieces Lord Vampire is after. The HH doesn't have the conflict element. It's almost like a parallel universe (the monster isn't green and being created in the lab, he's gray and is our manservant; the owners aren't trying to turn day into eternal night, they're just trying to not get hassled by the Homeowners Association over covenant violations).

For long term play and display, I think the HH could fit in well with a street of similar sized larger houses. Would it look a little out of place with regular houses? Would those particular neighbors seem "different"? Sure, but the premise worked for the Munsters.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Anyone else think there's a chance that the HH will drop to $150 after a few months or early next year? I know Lego doesn't normally do this.
    It is unlikely LEGO will unless there's a problem shifting them, but you may well find it cheaper with Amazon or on a BOGO from TRU in the future.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^This sounds about right, I still suspect it won't maintain great sales after an initial rush but I can't see a discount coming any time soon either in store or [email protected] However, if/when we find it on various amazon sites then I'm sure well see 30% discounts.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    @CCC (and anyone else reading). It wasn't for me 100% (I just get to enjoy it), but it was for my two boys (ages 2 & 4). The four year old does pretty well with building on his own (with guidance). The two year old helps out with sorting (find the blue, find the green on like this). But neither of them could handle this HH. Hate me all you want, but I buy LEGO for my boys first and foremost, and if they can't handle something, I'll return in. LEGO gets my money and keeps my money (as evidenced by the $96 left on my LEGO store gift card). Printed on my store receipt are the words "Not Age Appropriate."
    ^ I don't hate you. I wondered what the reason was for returning it. I'd like to get a grab bag from that store!

The box does say 14+, so it's not really appropriate for a 2 and 4 year old. The stated recommended age is often down to build difficulty rather than theme.
    @LegoFanTexas
    No, I haven't built any of the other modulars. We have a couple of the recent Creator houses (#5771 Hillside House, #5891 Apple Tree House, etc.). But the modulars, while cool, just don't fit with the rest of our LEGO collection. I do have interest in building #10230 (Mini Modulars), as that's genre that I like to MOC from my PAB wall finds.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Finally sat down and began building my HH. My building time is limited, so I know it'll take me a while to complete. I happen to have most of the modular buildings, but have never had the chance to put any of them together, so I can't make comparisons, but I do have opinions about this set. So far I'm having fun building it and I'm still only in the first book. It is fun watching this set come together. As a side note, I am a kit builder - plain and simple. I'm not a MOCer, don't have the skill, talent or know-how, so I am more than happy to build sets straight out of the box, as is.

I like HH. I like the way it looks.

Do I think it is it worth $180? No.
    Do I regret buying it? No.
    Even though, IMO it is overpriced, I still think it is worth buying.

I guess I could have waited to see if it would ever go on sale, but right now we have no idea how long it will be around or if we will ever see any sales for it. I decided I didn't want to take a chance so I bought it, even though I felt it was selling for too much $$. I do not regret my decission, and for me there is no point in looking back. If HH ever goes on sale, so be it. I have my set, I paid what I did pay, and I plan on enjoying it for years to come.
    edited September 2012
    CCC said:

It's a shame that the HH discussion has spread over two threads.

I agree - can the Mods merge these two?
    CCC said:

Do you prefer size over build? I've not seen up close or built either of them. The castle looks bigger for the money, but much easier to put together - more of a kids / play set compared to the HH being closer to a modular set (as hinted at by LFT).

Maybe you and I should have talked before I dropped the $180. I thought it was going to be a more straightforward build, with fewer tiny details. The writing desk, the clunky closet, the indoor light fixtures, and the little table upstairs were all IMHO unnecessary. There are probably many here that think those are great for play, and I can see that argument. I wasn't looking at it as much for play as for a yearly Halloween display.
    I would have definitely preferred size over build with the HH. I said previously (maybe on the other thread?) that if it had been bigger with no internal "distractions" and unable to hinge open, I would have been much happier.
    I did consider picking up the VC when I took the HH back, but picked up the Ghost Train instead. Not as much for the "value" or "playability", but because it will just look good with our Halloween Train (not LEGO, but HO-scale) we put out for the trick-or-treaters.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    edited September 2012
    @Yellowcastle
    @Matthew
    Another vote for merging the two threads.

I've voice my opinions in the other thread, in which I basically state I think it is priced too high, but I do not regret buying it and while I've just begun building it, I like it - so IMO, yes, it is good. :o)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    This has been discussed many times, but Legos target market is not adults. Although very young children may not be able to build the Haunted House, they certainly would enjoy playing with it. My almost 3yr old daughter can't stop playing with it. The furniture is there for play value.

As mentioned in previous threads, the cost of Lego sets are on the rise and the days of Medieval Market Village value are long gone. The Pet Shop Modular is cheaper than the Haunted House, but it has fewer pieces, no unique minifigures, and it came out almost 1-1/2 years ago. In my opinion, HH is on par with the other modulars. The Town Hall is $200.

I'm wondering. Is it more expensive for Lego to produce Sand Green pieces than other colors? If this is the case, maybe this is why the Haunted House seems overpriced. The minifigures could be the reason for this as well.
  • AmberylAmberyl Member Posts: 193
    I have to say that I enjoy interior details, because these are sometimes among the most clever use of pieces that you'll find in a Lego set.

Actually, more broadly, in recent years, Lego has started putting a lot of details into the innards of a piece -- things that you'll never see when it's displayed, but are a little bit of delight when you're actually building. A good example of this is the undercarriage of the car that comes with the Vampyre Castle.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    MorkMan said:

Hate me all you want, but I buy LEGO for my boys first and foremost, and if they can't handle something, I'll return in. LEGO gets my money and keeps my money (as evidenced by the $96 left on my LEGO store gift card). Printed on my store receipt are the words "Not Age Appropriate."

No need for "hate", but when the box says 14+ for the age and you have a 2 and a 4 year old, you really don't have any excuse for returning it because it was too hard for the kids to build.

Yes, Lego customer service is great and they took it back to keep you happy, but those returns have limits. Do it too many times and they'll stop doing it.
    I can understand people not liking that I returned it, but LEGO is a child's toy that I get to play with my children. The oldest son couldn't stop talking about the HH once he saw it online. (He cried when it got boxed back up.) My free time is limited, so when it comes time for the boys and I (and my wife) to play with LEGO, it's got to be something we all can do as a family. In this case, the HH didn't work out.
    Specifically to @CCC, I know that someone who goes to the store soon will be pleasantly surprised to see pieces of the HH in their grab bags!
    Ahhhh, another man's trash is another's treasure right?

I'm going to try to get a refund everytime my team loses when I take the family to the stadium.
    You can try, but there isn't a policy at any stadium to guarantee satisfaction. But you make your point.
    Lol. I'm just messing with you :)
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    edited September 2012
    Buying that set for a 2- and 4-year-old to build/play with/enjoy is expecting way too much.
    Ok, I think we've piled on @MorkMan enough... we all made our point, he gets it... :)
    ^^ I don't think it is out of the question for a four year old to enjoy it - my five year old loves it!
    ^ Enjoy it, yes... build it, no...
    edited September 2012
    ^ Ahem - no, he built it!!! I find the pieces, Sam builds it - they're the rules! That's what we do on Thursday nights whilst the other's at gym! :o)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ I can believe it. I've seen Sam build. He makes some amazing creations. Really talented little builder :-)
    :-) My little Rainman. :-) Just waiting for the day we drop the toothpicks on the floor.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Vegas baby!
    He's an excellent driver.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I just started building, even though I have had it since it first came out and so far built the first floor and it's a really enjoyable build, although the windows on the bottom floor get repetitive
    I agree, but that's how every house and most buildings are.
    edited September 2012
    What I like about the Haunted House is that you don't have to make it into a Haunted House. You can clean it up and finish the interior and it would make a great Victorian home and a great display piece. I guess I don't know what to make of the price point complaints, but I got mine with the free shipping and the Zombie Car which I estimate the value being around $10. So, you can look at it as you got $190 "worth" of Lego for $180.

I plan on buying several copies and making a clean one for my daughter and might even change to sand green to pink for her.

I plan on making a Modular style version and plan on making a Modular style building to fit with the other Modular buildings.

I also love the minifigures:)

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    My gf made an awesome diorama of Halloween and a gang of little Trick or Treaters. Adding quite a few of the CMF monsters to the mix. Along with some pumpkin smashing kids on the corner. My favorite is Little Red Riding's face crying as she opens the gate. Made me laugh so hard.

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^Haha! That's awesome, love it!
    That's great. I hope to see more pics of other dioramas :)
    @flump et al. The 2 year old was the biggest catalyst for returning it. The 4 year old does what flumps 5 yr old does. It's great. I just couldn't handle rebuilding every few pages as he tried to help. The smaller (read fewer steps) sets are more "manageable" as a result of breakage.
    That chimney was wayyy difficult to fix midway through when the entire second floor is ripped off.
  • PlasticDotsPlasticDots Member Posts: 80

What is wrong with Lego being greedy? Don't we want them to make money so they keep investing and growing the company to make better and better sets in the future?

Well played

^I agree. I would even take it a step further and say I wish they would move manufacturing out of China and I'd still pay more for a quality product.
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    flump said:

Modular fans are going to be tempted with Town Hall/another of: FireBrigade/GE/Petshop
    Modular fans are likely to already have them and so will feel compelled to own a HH.

right you are! I own all the modulars and I'm itching to buy another big building like the haunted house
    Pitfall69 said:

^I agree. I would even take it a step further and say I wish they would move manufacturing out of China and I'd still pay more for a quality product.

Agreed, we are not saving anything by making it all over there.

- offtopic -

I would go even further and say that I'd be happy to pay $100 more for an iPad made in the USA, rather than China.

That would be an amazing experiment, wouldn't it? Have Apple make them both places, charge different prices, then report how many of each one was sold.

China Model - $499
    USA Model - $599

Then see if people put their money where their mouth is, when they say they want Made in the USA items.

- back on topic -

I'm just thrilled that Lego even makes models like HH, they are detailed enough to be interesting to adults, or at least to this adult.
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    Any ideas for mocing the HH? I intend getting a couple of the ghost promo sets that are going to come out with the Sun in October, to put in the house and I'd quite like to add a few broken drainpipes to the house too. Any more ideas out there?
  • StompingFreakStompingFreak United KingdomMember Posts: 59
    beets665 said:

I thinking about getting the haunted house some time this week and i was wondering what people thought about it really or any pics would be amazing
    thanks andy

I have just bought this set. It's a nice build. Mini Fig's are cool. The only issuse for me is the stickers. At this price I would have expected printed bricks. Not just the odd plank. Plus not all the planks are printed. Lego for the money we pay should know stickers are rubbish.

Couldn't agree more. I was both surprised and disappointed when I learnt this fact last week. I just assumed as a modular it would be sticker-free. But then I questioned whether or it really was modular or not.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,625
    @LegoFanTexas off topic- I would be more than happy to put my money where my mouth is and pay the extra $100. Back on topic- I would have liked to see more printed planks, the few we get is a little disappointing. It would have looked much better with all the windows boarded up with printed planks.

Pitfall69 said:

Agreed, we are not saving anything by making it all over there.

- offtopic -

I would go even further and say that I'd be happy to pay $100 more for an iPad made in the USA, rather than China.

That would be an amazing experiment, wouldn't it? Have Apple make them both places, charge different prices, then report how many of each one was sold.

China Model - $499
    USA Model - $599

Then see if people put their money where their mouth is, when they say they want Made in the USA items.

- back on topic -

I'm just thrilled that Lego even makes models like HH, they are detailed enough to be interesting to adults, or at least to this adult.
    My brother n law is manager at a camera shop. He says they already do that with cameras and camera accessories. He said one camera bag manufacturer has one made in China and one made in the US. Also, if you buy a Cannon camera on Amazon you have to be careful because they have US distributors and Asian distributors.
    US versions come with US warranty and the other no warranty covered in the US.
    Back on topic. I don't like stickers either.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Well i "understand"the window-stickers (somehow)but i don't get why they didn't printed the round 2x2 tile aka record?! The CMF S8 DJ comes with a printed one right?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Yep, the DJ has a printed one. I wonder the same thing about why it's not included in this set. I'm guessing the printed one is made in China for the CMFs only at this point. It wasn't cost effective to print the part elsewhere.