Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Haunted House

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    edited August 2012
    ^ It doesn't appear so. You are not alone. The amount of interest TLG have had from it is incredible.

Back to the price thing, I learnt today that 'intended' price was always £150. To add weight to the argument being made to me, I was told in size it is essentially a Town Hall size with added detail. I suppose when you look like that, £150 kinda makes sense. You know, a Grand Emporium is £135!!!
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    flump said:

^ It doesn't appear so. You are not alone. The amount of interest TLG have had from it is incredible.

Back to the price thing, I learnt today that 'intended' price was always £150. To add weight to the argument being made to me, I was told in size it is essentially a Town Hall size with added detail. I suppose when you look like that, £150 kinda makes sense. You know, a Grand Emporium is £135!!!

Doesnt look town hall size to me going by the video on youtube
    edited August 2012
    Still, i reckon in several years people will look back on it as being an absolute classic Lego set :)

I just hope Lego make a few more exclusive monster fighter sets for the AFOLS :)
    ^ Completely agree.

Admittedly, it doesn't look as big as TH to me either but that's what he compared it to. HH has a similar piece count to GE. I suppose 2 year's of price increases, £150 for HH over the £133 GE...?
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Even if the piece count is way lower than TH (and the size too) i guess the minifigs (like them or not) are what raise the price compared to other modulars! I mean compare the Monster figures (2 exclusives!) to the somewhat basic figures from the modulars! Ah yeah and those 4 zombie-heads (as columns) must have added another 10€ ;)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Something else to consider...

If we want TLG to keep making sets like this, we need TLG to make a good profit on them, it will make them want to keep designing and developing such sets. Not every one will be a smash hit, so they need some of them to do better than average to make up for that.

Not suggesting that we encourage higher prices, but after all, TLG does need to make a profit to keep making cool sets in the future!

Just tossing out the thought...

Something else to consider...

If we want TLG to keep making sets like this, we need TLG to make a good profit on them, it will make them want to keep designing and developing such sets. Not every one will be a smash hit, so they need some of them to do better than average to make up for that.

Not suggesting that we encourage higher prices, but after all, TLG does need to make a profit to keep making cool sets in the future!

Just tossing out the thought...

Although id love them to make another exclusive MF set im not really sure what it could be, i mean what else really could be made into an exclusive set other than a haunted house:/
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ :)

I of course don't just mean MF series, but anything else like this... If we want the cool big adult sets, they will never sell in the volume of the kids sets, so we need to be ok paying for them...

The R&D cost, the spooling up cost, is higher for these sets, and they have fewer sales to spread those costs across.

The fact that they are still less than 10 cents a part, I'm thrilled about. :)
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    The haunted house is an amazing set. Buy it and build it, you won't be disappointed!
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    I have yet to build any of the modular sets (currently only have Fire Brigade) but I am thrilled to see this Haunted House and it will probably be my first build for a Halloween display.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    ^ agreed. This will be the new centerpiece for the Halloween decorations.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    The one thing this set needs and I wish it had, are some cool creepy dark trees. It's expected right?
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    This set is cool as it is, by adding trees, you add to the cost which is pretty high already...
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^^ you can always buy a couple of 9463 (the werewolf) and moc up a couple of trees for the frontage from that - has the new olive green tree branches and lots of reddish / dark brown which makes for good creepy trees.

Or failing that a couple of ewok attacks for more tree pieces!
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    Maybe the HP Forbidden Forest trees would work?
  • staffmarkstaffmark Member Posts: 44
    So do all of you see this HH set selling out right off the bat on September 1? I would like to wait until Amazon ends up stocking it (and don't have to pay tax), but I might end up waiting awhile if I do that...and will I ever get it if I do that? Sounds like this is going to be a hot one. Do I have to show up at the Lego store at 10 AM sharp on Sept 1 to ensure that I get one? What's all of your plans?
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    ^ My experience with LEGO stores is that they take at least a week to stock new products on the shelves. I would not expect them to have one on the shelf on September 1st. Which is why I'll be ordering from [email protected]
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I'm going to leave it a while until it's available somewhere for 30% off.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited August 2012
    ^ Isn't the haunted house an exclusive set? If so I would not expect it for 30% off except possibly [email protected] during a black friday sale. If that happens it will probably sell out quick. If you really want it Amazon will probably have it marked down 10-15% every once in awhile like they do the other modulars.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    I guess i'll wait till midnight (on the last of the month)and buy three!
    I'm pretty sure these will fly off the shelves! To me it's a really interesting set to part-out on BL!
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    mathew said:

^ Isn't the haunted house an exclusive set?

I don't know but I'm happy to hold off and find out if it's available for cheaper elsewhere. If it isn't then no loss, I'm going to be getting it in any case.

• BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ it should be available via TRU bogos soon enough...
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,617
    I might buy it from Lego direct if I can get enough VIP points to make it 30% or more off the price. A promo item and free delivery will really sweeten the deal.
    Unfortunately I am already saving VIP points for the Winter Village Cottage. :)
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Just received an email from [email protected] USA giving free shipping on orders placed until 9/30/12. Will prob take advantage and get this set shipped if it is available before then.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Just to clarify something: in the UK, exclusives generally really are "Hard to find" apart from direct from Lego. Amazon don't get them, TRU don't get them. Diagon alley and tower bridge have beenfor some reason been the exceptions to this, the former being available at Tesco and the latter at Tesco, JL and Argos (as far as I am aware). So we probably have fewer options for getting HH at a discounted price.
    15% off at the AFOL shopping hour plus my VIPs is good enough for me. I hope they have plenty of them in stock :-/
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    Tower Bridge has also been available through amazon (amazon UK as well as the various EU sites).
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I'll be looking to get it through amazon.it or amazon.es if its cheap enough (sub £100). No way it will sell out, just like none of the modular or Christmas sets sell out so theres absolutely no reason to rush or settle for just free delivery.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If I could change one thing about this set I would make the fence go all the way around the house. Think I'll add some short leg minifigs for trick or treaters too. Any suggestions of what to use for their goodie bags?
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    ^ How about the basket from the Grandma Visitor CMF? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=93092
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,305
    ^ I like that idea!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    ^ or the sack from the new santa CMF
    Santa's sack is tied at the top, so you wouldn't be able to fill it with candy.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539

If I could change one thing about this set I would make the fence go all the way around the house. Think I'll add some short leg minifigs for trick or treaters too. Any suggestions of what to use for their goodie bags?

This would be good from the Fight for the Dagger set:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4523
  • doodlebirddoodlebird Austin. Texas. Member Posts: 88
    for trick or treaters, i've used buckets and upside pumpkin minifig heads. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6211885988/in/set-72157627817885572
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    ^ haha the R2 trick or treater is awesome.
    All great ideas, @jadeirene @TyoSolo and @doodlebird. I'll have to get busy and start playing with minifigs to make my own trick or treaters.
    ^ Yeah. Now that I know we're putting the HH on the dining room table (a place of honor!), I have to go pick up some mini-figs. It's biting me that I shunned mini-figs. I knew I should've picked some up along the way... Should've listened to those inner voices instead of my pocketbook!
  • StevenAshbyStevenAshby Member Posts: 155
    Saw this set in the flesh for the first time today and walked out of the shop without one as I was to be honest Disapointed with it. It wasn't that much larger than the vampire castle and for the money I could get the train as well.
    Got my HH today, clerk forgot to apply the VIP points so she threw in one of last months piece of cake poly and gave me an extra MF poly!
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Also got HH today.
    Saw a built model at the LEGO store in Mission Viejo and it looked great.
    Sure, it's expensive, but it looks well worth it!
    ^^^ @StevenAshby. I have horrible buyers remorse on the HH. The same thought hit me no thirty minutes after buying it. It's still upstairs in the middle of my office, partially built through bag set 4. 5 isn't even open yet...
    It's nice, but for the price, I expected bigger/taller....just more.
  • MandarineMandarine Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    Sorry, this is going to be a bit of a vent...

I love Monster Fighters, and Lego generally. So I've been looking forward to this set since its announcement.

A couple of days ago, I went to buy it of [email protected] Australia, and they slapped on $45 to send it to me. Seriously? It's $269.99 and they're going to charge me an extra $45 to send it to me?! That's just insane considering most other online stores based in OZ will either have cheap flat-rate postage or free postage over a certain amount. $45 is what I would expect if they were posting it from OS...

So I tried to see if any other local online Lego stores had it in stock (given we have no bricks-and-mortar Lego stores in OZ - pardon the pun :-)... One licensed reseller had it for over $300 ($309 if memory serves). Shopforme.com.au have it at the same price as [email protected] but not for at least one month...

I honestly feel like there's some kind of collusion going on here. How else to explain the suspiciously high prices of the licensed reseller, and the delay for other licensed sellers, who have cheaper or flat-rate postage?

I ended up getting it off ebay for a total shipped price equal to the price that [email protected] Australia were selling it without their outrageous shipping fees.

I got it from a seller in the States, who was clearly making a good profit on it given their retail price is 1/3 less, give or take, what we are paying in OZ, on a straight currency conversion basis. I don't begrudge the seller in the slightest. Good on them for making it available at just the right price-point for us to buy it, with high shipping fees considered and all, and still come out ahead.

However it really bugs me to have to resort to ebay to buy something that is available direct from Lego. Now I've heard all the arguments about why things are more expensive in Australia, and ok, fair-enough. We are far away, our market is comparatively small and apparently, we earn more. (Or so we keep being told!)

But do they really need to charge an extra $45 for postage when they are creaming so much off the top to cover all those things just mentioned?

Sheesh.

I know, I know. If you're not happy, don't buy the product. Or wait a bit for the sales and get it at a better or more comparable price.

But in a way, that's not the point. It's the first time I've ever felt compelled to buy something as soon as it's been released, and I'm just bummed at the way we get done over in Australia. To add insult to injury, UK, US and Canada had free shipping on HH release date too. Grrr.

OK. Vent over. Now fingers-crossed, the set arrives well-packed and I can enjoy it without feeling like I've just spent $269.99 on an unworthy set, as some have mentioned above...

• givmellisgivmellis Member Posts: 23
    @Mandarine I know exactly how you feel! I placed an order (including HH) worth over $600 and they still charged me $45 shipping....sometimes it is annoying living in OZ. I wish I had your foresight to look elsewhere though :).....and I am still really excited to get it!
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^, ^^ Hey, at least your dollar is more or less on par with the US so purchasing the large sets from there is a no-brainer. Even in New Zealand I'm better off getting the big sets from the US.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    The 'profficial' we have over here will have a price of around 350-360 USD so I do understand what you go through @Mandarine. LEGO is going out of our reach for people in our region it seems. Or I might be wrong. Going to wait a year or so and try to get it from someone if they get bored off it at a decent price, just like I did with other Modulars I was able to get :P
    edited September 2012
    Don't hate me. But I tore mine apart today. Bagged it back up. Said goodbye to the minifigs. It's all boxed up now. Debating about the next step.
    MorkMan said:

Don't hate me. But I tore mine apart today. Bagged it back up. Said goodbye to the minifigs. It's all boxed up now. Debating about the next step.

Blimey - you really didn't like it!! Mine arrives today. I pray that I don't feel the same way as you. This is one set and the first in a long time that I'm really excited about getting my hands on.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I built the fire temple at the weekend. Now thats a set to have no regrets about especially at £40 (I know I missed on the £25 offers). Im really glad I grew cold on the HH, in fact im almost glad TLG upped the price as I may have been tempted. The price may be right for the piece count, but it's miles out for the context in my opinion. it would become a set for one day of the year, I now dont think it looks that great (everyone I speak to who loves lego but aren't quite as obsessed about it as us say the vampire castle looks better, and I can see their point) so wouldn't have it on display other than for Halloween but it costs too much to let the kids play with it freely.

Disapointed with it. It wasn't that much larger than the vampire castle and for the money I could get the train as well.

I now dont think it looks that great (everyone I speak to who loves lego but aren't quite as obsessed about it as us say the vampire castle looks better, and I can see their point)

I agree the castle looks nice from a distance, but then when you count up the number of large panels / walls / single roof sections, it just looks boring to build and not as flexible for reusing pieces.