Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Haunted House

Comments

• BilkoBilko Member Posts: 19
    ^ I know, you're right. Sometimes I just forget and start thinking crazy thoughts!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    ^ Shame on you. Btw, I have one you can have for £500 if you want it? I can live without it for another few weeks before I crack one open.
  • SecretjediSecretjedi Member Posts: 175
    Shocking that someone would dare mention making a profit on Lego. Shame on me.
    ^ Ok, fine. I have no interest in getting in to a discussion about this, I was just offering my opinion.
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    ^^^^ I was never going to go down the eBay route... its great set, it was a great price and I'm not about to profit out of Bilko's generosity of sharing the information on here. I shall open and build the set in the next few days and I will enjoy it, even take a few photos along the way!
    Perhaps I should have added a smiley before.
  • SecretjediSecretjedi Member Posts: 175
    ^ Likewise
    I think I was perhaps being a bit flippant before. Bottom line is, the set looks great, we'll hopefully have some pics / impressions soon, and there's at least a chance that the price may go back to £120 when 'officially' released in September. All good.
    ^ All good. :o)

I wondered about the £120 thing too. I'm going to be doing some digging later on. It could be that LDC just haven't been made aware of changes.

Dig dig dig.

It's strange that an extra £30 makes so much difference but it really does. I think it's because we were teased with £120, only then to have it bumped up. I wonder if we'd all have been ok with the price had it been listed at £150 from the beginning...

@flump happy digging!
    Completely agree, it's the tease that's thrown most. You feel like you've been 'ripped off' in some way.
    Okeydokey. I'm done digging!!

The TLG data sheets going back a month or so ago state £120.

Today's datasheets state £150 (what it was rumoured to be back in March).

I did get a chuckled response when I asked about why it went down from £150 to £120 and back up again, but it was a kind of "Well, you know" type response.

I'm told, and don't hold me to this @Yellowcastle, that the £150 is unlikely to change so close to September. We think LDC must have just sold off the back of 'old' datasheets. Good news for the two lucky shoppers.

I think we're just going to have to wait and see.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    edited July 2012
    ^ Added to the Flump Almanac. ;o)

Side Note / Flump Tangent: The more I think about the Black Pearl, the more likely it seems that the 2 Dutchman figures were simply added to the Pearl after plans for releasing the Dutchman were scrapped. But if they had already made the neat molds, it makes sense they would still want to release them. It just never made any sense why they were included...until you let us know about the 3rd ship. I'm a betting man and this is where I'm putting my money....just like I did with Kingdoms being a last minute filler line due to the extended Hobbit litigation.
    edited July 2012
    Well dug, @flump. I agree we'll have to wait and see, but it's looking like £150 is going to be the price. Despite moaning about the cost, I'm kidding myself if I say I'm not going to end up getting this!

Edit: ...and the Hearse, and Jabba's Palace, and the rest of the Team GB MF's and...
  • GraysmithGraysmith Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2012
    It's strange that an extra £30 makes so much difference but it really does. I think it's because we were teased with £120, only then to have it bumped up. I wonder if we'd all have been ok with the price had it been listed at £150 from the beginning...
    Surely the fact that the price was changed after it was announced is part of why people turned sour, but it's also the simple fact that compared to other large, exclusive sets this one is now wildly expensive. The most obvious comparison is the Town Hall, which costs the same in most places, yet comes with seven hundred more pieces (34% more), more minifigures (all of which are exclusive even if they are fairly plain City figures). If the Haunted House had the same (UK) price per piece as the Town Hall it'd cost £112. The original £120 was a more than fair price, while £150 is just inexcusable.
    ^ Side Note / Flump Tangent.
    Reprieve?? :o)
    @Graysmith Yep, can't argue with that. Hadn't realised the piece counts were so different between HH and TH. Yikes.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    ^ Deferment. ;o)
    ^ Good enough for me. :o)
  • coxsparracoxsparra Member Posts: 7
    So jealous! Thats so cool! well done :)
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 217
    Do we have a parts list yet for this set? And if not would one of the lucky ones be willing to share. I know everyone is a little upset about the price, but for me the question isnt if but more like how many of these sets will I be buying.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    The most obvious comparison is the Town Hall, which costs the same in most places, yet comes with seven hundred more pieces (34% more), more minifigures (all of which are exclusive even if they are fairly plain City figures).
    Good thing these sets aren't just collections of identical pieces - if that were the case, part count would be a great comparison. But there are also other considerations, such as color, detailing, theme ... on all those, I think HH has TH beat by a mile. Of course, I reserve the right to change that opinion once I see a HH in person - the same way I was all set on buying a TH until I saw it in person and decided not to.

We can talk all we want about the price increase, how we value things, etc ... What it comes down to for each of us is, "For the price I can get a particular thing at a particular time, do I feel it's worth it?" Only each of us can make that decision for ourselves (or maybe our spouses make it for us).
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,617
    At £150 this is too much for me.
    I'll have to use VIP points to buy this from Lego.com or wait for a discount at another retailer.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    The most obvious comparison is the Town Hall, which costs the same in most places, yet comes with seven hundred more pieces (34% more), more minifigures (all of which are exclusive even if they are fairly plain City figures).
    Good thing these sets aren't just collections of identical pieces - if that were the case, part count would be a great comparison. But there are also other considerations, such as color, detailing, theme ... on all those, I think HH has TH beat by a mile. Of course, I reserve the right to change that opinion once I see a HH in person - the same way I was all set on buying a TH until I saw it in person and decided not to.

We can talk all we want about the price increase, how we value things, etc ... What it comes down to for each of us is, "For the price I can get a particular thing at a particular time, do I feel it's worth it?" Only each of us can make that decision for ourselves (or maybe our spouses make it for us).
    I think the whole MF theme will be a classic in years to come, i really do hope there will be a second wave. Im just really glad i got into Lego just as this theme came out :)

I love all things horror, especially the universal monsters so as soon as i saw this theme i had to buy them all!
    Do you think well see hh at target and toys r us since it's in the mf theme or will it be an exclusive because it's a 10xxx set number?
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^ Virtually every other 10xxx set is sold at Target and TRU, so it would seem logical that the HH would also be sold at those retailers.
    The build is complete!

Photos are available here for anyone who's interested:
    Haunted House Photos on Flickr
    ^ Excellent! Looks fantastic. can't wait to get one myself. What are your thoughts on the set?
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    May i ask if the set contains any 1x8 sand-green bricks?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,298
    ^^ Can you post a close up of the record player? I know it has a pith helmet in, but what are the other parts?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Can you please post a pic of the 'inventory page'? That way we can see all the pieces in the set.
    ^^ @Bilko: Its a great set, I was really impressed. To be honest, I haven't built a set with over 2000 pieces before so expected to be impressed, but the attention to detail is fantastic. I was a little hesitant after the first floor level due to how basic it seemed, but once the black pieces were added it really came to life and has loads of character. The use of different textures, grey and sand colours bricks alongside all the grey really set the set off, I really pleased with the purchase so thanks for the heads up!

^ @Diggydoes: I can't see any listed, would the list of parts be useful if I posted it here?
    I'm happy to post any photos people like, so just let me know...
    Inventory...
    Record player (is very cool!)
    56 1x6
    42 1x4
    74 1x2
    in sand green! I bet that could be worked into the gg somehow
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Lots of Sand Green, those 1x2 and 1x6 bricks could very well take the place of the 1x8 bricks in GG...

It does not, however, have the slotted 1x2 bricks that GG has, the ones with the grooves right down the front, that is part of the "look" of GG, of course if no one cares... ;)
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
    tom4046 - you had to go and post those pics didnt you! I wasnt fussed at first bu I wants it now!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    The sand green 1x1 with a stud on the side, and the sand green 1x1x5 are new. Also the reddish brown shutter and door.
    Thanks a lot for posting the inventory-list!!! Very helpful. Since i currently start to BL GG it´s too bad that it doesn´t comes with 1x8 Bricks :(
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    Interesting that it comes packaged with the brick separator. Do they think mistakes will be made or is it because of the sheer number of parts?
    There is a LOT of very similar grey pieces in the set....mistakes can easily be made.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Interesting that it comes packaged with the brick separator. Do they think mistakes will be made or is it because of the sheer number of parts?
    The orange brick separator is in almost every set nowadays.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    edited July 2012
    ^ there's my problem! I'm only buying older sets, not the new ones right now.... Waiting for something new to pique my interest enough...
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    The orange brick separator is in almost every set nowadays.
    Bought a lot of sets in the last six weeks, ranging from 2008 to 2012, mostly 2011... no brick separators at all. Not even in the Death Star. Luckily I have one - or more accurately, my brother does, it came with a set 10+ years ago, no idea which one.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited July 2012
    ^The orange brick separator for plates was recently invented and released around or after this past Christmas I believe. You'll find it included with the larger sets above $50 RRP such as Batcave, Townhall, etc.
    I know it must not mean anything but i was in a Lego-store (Cologne/Germany)yesterday and asked the Store-manager if he's got any news regarding the "Haunted House",well he said that their store got told that TLG is having production issues or some so they are not sure if they're able to release it on the 1.of sep.!
    The people in the stores and behind the phones(on the hotline)are mostly not really well informed but i thought i kay share this info with ya'll!
  • nerick906nerick906 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 426
    Brick separator was included in the Dynamic Duo funhouse. Brilliant set and you got the separator!

Haunted house looks brilliant !! hopefully it will go for £120 not £150 !
    nice set !
    ^^ Checked this production query out.

Store allocation (for the UK anyway) is being set this week and is geared up for distribution prior to Week 35 ie 1st September.

Price remains at £150.
    @flump so i get it right that there won't be any delay(at least in the UK)?
    I already count days for the release of that beauty!!!