Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Haunted House

Comments

• LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    No, they should be philanthropic and donate the sets to us. ;oP
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Tell you what we should do, each time LEGO brings a set out overpiriced just refuse to buy it! TELL THE WORLD :p
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    No, they should be philanthropic and donate the sets to us. ;oP
    Agreed!
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited June 2012
    For those nice olive green bricks i still think its worth every penny :), i just think it was a little annoying doing what they just did
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    What is wrong with Lego being greedy? Don't we want them to make money so they keep investing and growing the company to make better and better sets in the future?
    It's not wrong... up to a point. A better set is no good if the price premium becomes too much. Upping the price like this before the set's even out just makes them look bad, assuming the original price indeed was lower. I'll admit I'm not 100% sure of this as I haven't kept such close tabs on the info on the set so far.

Not to mention that despite only being out of my dark age for a month now, I'm already getting sick of the exchange rate issues with some sets. Compared to UK, for Finnish [email protected] Death Star is 33% more expensive, Fire Brigade about 52%, MMV 33% (luckily managed to order one from Italy just today for an UK-ish price). I'd really want the DS and FB before they're discontinued, but the thought of being ripped off just because I'm not in the UK really is a major downer in that consideration especially given how little money I have available - even saving every spare penny and then some, it might take up to December for me to afford them (and hopefully the SSD), at which point they could well be discontinued. Especially as FB and DS have been around for a good while now.

But anyway, it doesn't make ANY sort of sense to have such huge price differences. Even stranger is that it's just for some sets, but not all - though I guess I should be thankful that at least not EVERY set is 25-50% higher in price here. Pff. So the question is - why, LEGO, whyyyyy?
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited June 2012
    Too much greed is often a very bad thing.
    'we can make the bricks how cheap? And sell them for the same price! Well what about if we up the price by 25%? The silly AFOL's will still buy it? And multiples of it!! You have to be kidding me!'. Well go for it, can we also cut the quality of the packaging?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ yes, clearly there is a limit... I was simply pointing out that being greedy, by itself, is not always a bad thing. Taken too far, it hurts more than helps, but isn't that true of everything?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    There are a lot more toys on the shelves than Lego. If Lego takes it too far, a potential customer will just purchase something else (or maybe a few something elses for the same price as the single Lego set). While my kids like Lego products, they also like certain Mattel products about as much. Add in the fact that Lego competes with Apple, Nintendo, etc. for the limited funds in today's economy, and Lego can hurt themselves in an effort to increase their margins. JMO.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2012
    the price is now unreasonable, and it grates on me, And the way they did it was antagonising. Leaves a bad taste. Overall not well handled and not a great outcome.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Similar thing happened with the VW Camper. Original press release said $99 for U.S. Subsequently changed to $119.
    http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=1405
  • dotknottdotknott Member Posts: 30
    UGH.

That was high on the LIST OF GIFTS FOR THE BF, but it just moved down a notch or two.
  • Superman24742Superman24742 Cincinnati Ohio USAMember Posts: 25
    I don't care what the price is, that is one heck of a set and I will be buying at whatever price.
    I don't care what the price is, that is one heck of a set and I will be buying at whatever price.
    I do wish people would stop writing these things! Clearly it's not true. TLG raise the price again tomorrow, you still buying at £600??
    ^ Funny thing is, when it does get to $600, people will buy it. Not many, but enough to make an interesting aftermarket...

Cafe Corner sells at $1,000 after all. :)
    I agree if it is as good as it looks it could well be valuable in 3-4 years time, but the whole "I don't care how much it cost I'm buying multiples" mentality is just plain stupid (and grating!), there isn't a person on the planet that 'doesn't care how much it cost I will buy it anyway', there is a point at which any sane person says, ok, nice, but not worth $x or £x.
    If people think its too expensive say so, if people think its not too expensive say so, if people are happy to pay twice the asking price, say so, but to say you will pay anything is just a pointless and inaccurate statement.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    ^ complete agree.

I don't know what my cut off would be. Suppose it would depend on whether I had to pay the gas bill that month or not. I do know that I would have a really hard time not buying this set at all though - irrespective of price.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    I don't think people are intending for "anything" to be taken so literally. I mean, I would do "anything" to hang out with Tom Selleck and Lynda Carter but, as Meatloaf put it best, I won't do "that."
  • doomer72doomer72 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2012
    Hi Guys, I have only just noticed that the Haunted House will be £149.99.Whilst i think its a fantastic set,it is the same price as the Town Hall which has 700 more pieces.I rang Lego who agreed its odd but obviously offered no explanation.Are TLG taking advantage of us afols?,what are your thoughts please.
  • MagnusReignMagnusReign Member Posts: 14
    The US price hasn't changed as far as I can tell and at $180 I'm buying it and thinking about doubling up. Is it only non-US prices that fluctuate?
    ^ My opinion, YES, I think they are trying to take advantage, no other decent explanation for a 25% increase in price, not like the exchange rate just shot up.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    I genuinely believe the '£120' figure was a recent mistake on their part. Like I said yesterday, we knew the intention was for them to charge £150 back in March.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/58442/#Comment_58442
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    I think at £150 its an expensive set. I was looking forward to its release, would have been a nice additional for Halloween but at that price its going to have to wait, there are plenty of other sets I could add instead. It looks great yes, but I just can't justify the cash.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I agree if it is as good as it looks it could well be valuable in 3-4 years time, but the whole "I don't care how much it cost I'm buying multiples" mentality is just plain stupid (and grating!), there isn't a person on the planet that 'doesn't care how much it cost I will buy it anyway', there is a point at which any sane person says, ok, nice, but not worth $x or £x.
    If people think its too expensive say so, if people think its not too expensive say so, if people are happy to pay twice the asking price, say so, but to say you will pay anything is just a pointless and inaccurate statement.
    I honestly do not care what the cost is and will be buying every copy at my local Lego store.

^ FYI I will have 5 to sell you from 01/08/2012, bargain at £500 each, let me know where you want them sent!
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    ^^ I am also planning to buy every single copy at every single store throughout the country. I will not stop until I have bought them all, whatever the price.

^ I'll offer you £600 each! :)
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2012
    Hmm $200 bucks now or $1000 later... tough choice. /sarcasm
  • BJ21BJ21 Hampshire, UKMember Posts: 32
    The new price for me isn't the issue, but that they have changed it after releasing the details of the set. If the change had happened behind closed doors I wouldn't feel too bothered, or even if they had come out and said this was an honest mistake.
    On the bright side, this makes the VW Camper's UK price look like a bargain - I may now need another one of those...
    Does anyone think that the average man (or woman) on the street put this much thought into it?

When these are on the shelves, people will buy them or not, based on what is being offered at the time, in my personal opinion...
    I think most average men and woman on the street wouldn't be able to see the prices, the Haunted House will be on the shelves towards the back and it's hard to see that from the street!

And if they wander in I think most would say "how much???? for Lego!!!, you must be off your trolley!"
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    I think most average men and woman on the street wouldn't be able to see the prices, the Haunted House will be on the shelves towards the back and it's hard to see that from the street!

And if they wander in I think most would say "how much???? for Lego!!!, you must be off your trolley!"
    Exactly. I visit my local LEGO store fairly often and I see this go down all of the time.

*Dude walks up to Modular set* "Wow this is awesome..." *checks price* "Whoa $200! You have got to be kidding me!. $200 for LEGO?" *thinks about it for a second... remembers he is married and a father of two.. puts Modular back on shelf and walks away*

Sometimes they buy a smaller SW set to satiate the urge for LEGO, but often times they pick up a small Ninjago set for their kids and call it a day. It's only the crazies like us, who pick up a Town Hall and run to the checkout not thinking of the price.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ I agree with this. The modulars are a very extreme niche market, but a viable one. Lego understands this so that is why we are seeing the price increase. They figure that the buyers will spring the extra $30 just to have it. If you wait, Amazon will probably have it for $150 around Black Friday/Christmas of this year or next.

I'm in the minority thinking the modulars are a bit overrated. Same goes for the Haunted House. It reminds me of the Weebles Haunted House I had as a kid.
    Well, sometimes reading these forums it just feels some people have lost perspective on the prices of sets, in part because of the inflated aftermarket prices and the fact that some people actually pay those silly prices. I mean good for you if you can afford to throw $2k on a MF and think it's a good deal, you're in the very small minority. For example £120 vs £150 for HH might not seem much to such a person, but to me that difference is worth 1-2 weeks' food budget on most months. No exaggeration.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,477
    I'm getting multiple copies of this... but only if they are BOGO50 at a TRU or on sale at a substantially cut price on Amazon.. I want multiples, but Im not crazy enough to pay retail for these.
    Well, sometimes reading these forums it just feels some people have lost perspective on the prices of sets, in part because of the inflated aftermarket prices and the fact that some people actually pay those silly prices. I mean good for you if you can afford to throw $2k on a MF and think it's a good deal, you're in the very small minority. For example £120 vs £150 for HH might not seem much to such a person, but to me that difference is worth 1-2 weeks' food budget on most months. No exaggeration.
    It isn't a lack of perspective, it is a different perspective.

We each have our budgets and to some of us, $30 is a lot of money, to others it is not.
  • LauraCLauraC Member Posts: 41
    Aw that is very disappointing news :( Would really love this set and was hoping to get it for Xmas, but as much as I love Lego £150 is a whole lot of money for a single set and i'm not sure I can justify spending that much on little plastic bricks... even if they are lovely pretty bricks packed with fun! :D
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 816
    ^ FYI I will have 5 to sell you from 01/08/2012, bargain at £500 each, let me know where you want them sent!
    And I have 5 at £475. If we combined shipping you'll save yourself a few bob.

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    ^ LOL! The truth is most of us will cave and buy it regardless of cost, be it the day it's released or when there are double VIP points. Hubby will just have to make room on the layout for it!
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    @mathew - I remeber the Weebles Haunted House. It was awesome.

OT: At $180, I'm already on the fence. I can only imagine how I would feel if they bumped that up on us as well. I might just have to wait until I can see it in person before making a decision.
  • crusher1976crusher1976 Member Posts: 43
    I'd love to have it but im not paying that for it.
    It isn't a lack of perspective, it is a different perspective.

We each have our budgets and to some of us, $30 is a lot of money, to others it is not.
    Well, to me it is (for the lack of a better descriptiopn) a lack of a wider perspective - in other words, the big picture. Even the wealthy must realize that, as you say, thirty bucks is a lot to some, even if it isn't to them. In essence a millionaire can't price a product from the perspective of what he himself can afford to pay for it, but what the majority of the target audience can pay for it.

But many people - whether they are a part of the LEGO community or not - often talk about much larger sums as if it's nothing to anyone, general public included. I'd dare say that at the end of the day the vast majority of consumers in this day and age, including people who buy LEGO products, are not as well off to simply shrug off even "only" thirty bucks/pounds/euros/whathaveyou, or as another way of looking at it an increase of 20% or more of any given price.

So when you consider £120 vs £150 for the HH as the price for a new set during the product's shelf life, you have to realize that even if some people can and will pay even silly amounts for it and honestly don't care if it's £120 or even £200, overall less people will buy it at £150 than at £120. And from LEGO's point of view, it doesn't do them much good even if the set sells for £5000 in the rich people's aftermarket, since LEGO doesn't really get to see that excess in their bottom line in any meaningful way. As a disclaimer obviously I don't have the knowledge of how big the difference in number of sets bought would be between the two prices, or how much their net earnings would be in either case.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2012
    ^I certainly understand the sentiments @tvih, as the insensitivity to other's limitations or challenges can be grating, when it comes to comments or quotes on certain topics of purchasing in large volume. Which I've seen a few times in other threads in past months. However, this is (mostly) a forum for reselling and collectors. Both of which are not interested in the entry barrier price as much as the potential for value/appreciation after purchase. Therefore, the audience in said forum is not as focused on that 'not insignificant' point as compared to how popular it will be in the afterlife. Which in fact is better served when there is a high entry price point to begin with. Hence the irony.

However, your point rings especially true for TLG Marketing and Sales dept. Unfortunately, they don't post or comment in these forums for us to have a sit-in and discuss our ill feelings for the price increase. Then they can reply as to why the 30 pounds in difference and expound on cost of molds, set design, marketing of new theme, lower total volume, blah blah...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    @LFT Which ever way you shake it , and however much money someone has , spending £2000 on a lego set is a waste of money. That money could be used much better even if by others. Hence it is a waste.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 318
    I guess it is all perspective. I remember when I first saw Cafe Corner and thought it was way over priced at $140, and waited until I could find a reasonably priced used one for around $100 on ebay. I hope to be able to get the HH but as the price increases it will force me to prioritize purchases and visit brickset more often to hear about the discounts.

Maybe they are artificially inflating the price so that when you see it for 15% discount you feel it is a better value.
    @LFT Which ever way you shake it , and however much money someone has , spending £2000 on a lego set is a waste of money. That money could be used much better even if by others. Hence it is a waste.
    You are of course welcome to your opinion, but what is a "waste" to one person is not a waste to another.

We all value things differently, which is why different companies cater to different markets and price points.

To many people, I'm sure all Lego looks overpriced... A billion people in the world live on a dollar or so a day, none of them can afford any Lego.
    Well, to me it is (for the lack of a better descriptiopn) a lack of a wider perspective - in other words, the big picture. Even the wealthy must realize that, as you say, thirty bucks is a lot to some, even if it isn't to them. In essence a millionaire can't price a product from the perspective of what he himself can afford to pay for it, but what the majority of the target audience can pay for it.
    I see what you're saying, you're right I think, that as a company, Lego needs to keep all customers in mind, not just those who can afford the huge sets.

But I think they do that, because they offer lower priced sets for those customers. After all, DS and SSD are $400, and many people can't afford those, but they can afford other sets.
    But many people - whether they are a part of the LEGO community or not - often talk about much larger sums as if it's nothing to anyone, general public included.
    I think that happens because it is so easy when you're just living your life, to put all things into perspective according to your own life.

For someone who lives on $2K a month, $30 really adds up quickly. To someone who lives on $20K a month, $30 is hardly noticeable.

Neither is "good" or "bad", it is just a difference in viewpoint.
  • kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    Must buy. Over 2000 pieces and 6 figs, including 2 ghosts, and a zombie chef! Awesome! Under $200, so by the 10 cents a piece rule of thumb, thumbs up. I like the design, like the figs, and whether it was purported to have been available for cheaper earlier, that doesn't make it any less of a desirable set now.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    A billion people in the world live on a dollar or so a day, none of them can afford any Lego.
    And just a little Lego bubble between us and them...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Exactly! It would have been a completely different thing if they actually sold on the first day for the lower price and then raised it after. But a price change during press-release time is not an unheard of thing, let alone that it may have been an error/typo to begin with.

Does anyone know if 'Sand Green' actually costs more to make than the regular colors? Maybe TLG does not get as good bulk pricing per kg for the granules as opposed to the more common colors, which they may be purchasing 10x as much in volume. Might be same reason for high price/per part for Sopwith (dark green) and Townhall (dark orange). Anybody with knowledge on this point?
    Well, in any case I do shope I can get it at some point. Chances are not before Christmas though. At that point I should be able to afford whatever current sets I want but still don't have (well, within reason) thanks to tax returns. Does [email protected] usually have Christmas sales or such? Though I suppose the chances of HH specifically being discounted don't seem that good I guess since it's still so new at that point.

I'm quite overwhelmed trying to plan my purchases with most of the sets I want having been discontinued or being in the danger of the same, while having very little income. Should've come out of my dark age a year earlier at least, would've made things a lot easier! Luckily in the case of the Haunted House, I suppose it should stay available for a while even if I can't get it for Christmas for some reason.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,298
    I wonder if it will drop after Halloween. OK, it's no pumpkin they need to shift due to shelf life / storage. But after Halloween it becomes a little like the winter sets after Christmas.