Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Haunted House

beets665beets665 Member Posts: 106
edited September 2012 in Collecting
I thinking about getting the haunted house some time this week and i was wondering what people thought about it really or any pics would be amazing
thanks andy

Comments

• veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2012
    Has anyone else noticed the advertised price as £149.99? This is certainly alot different to the £119,99 that brickset talked about. And if you look at the size of the footprint of the house, its smaller than a 32x32 base plate. I'm not sure I'd buy at this price!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    The same happened over here in Germany! The press release said 149.99€ not it's marked up to 179.99€!
    I guess TLG recognized the overly positive reaction on the press release from AFOL's and thought:"hey let's bring up the price those peeps love it so much they'll buy it anyway"!
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    189,99€ for Finland. It seems like a fun set, but at that price... I just don't know :/ It does indeed have a lot of parts, but they all seem pretty small, making the price kinda steep.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Off my shopping list now. £120 was a purchase for sure. At £150 I will leave it, at least until there is a significant sale.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,837
    I thought it weird when £120 was being discussed.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/58442/#Comment_58442
    I honestly am not sure how well this is going to sell at £150, brings it in line with quite a number of other options.
    Star Wars fans are going to be tempted elsewhere with R2/Jabba.
    Modular fans are going to be tempted with Town Hall/another of: FireBrigade/GE/Petshop
    Kids are going to be priced out (most of them).

I really like it and it will no doubt be part of my collection at some point, just think it is not a great price point for a fairly niche product.
    Modular fans are going to be tempted with Town Hall/another of: FireBrigade/GE/Petshop
    Modular fans are likely to already have them and so will feel compelled to own a HH.
  • JohnnyfinlandiaJohnnyfinlandia Member Posts: 358
    Might be a bit cheaper in amazon.es :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,307
    Me too. It's nice, but not at £150.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yep - was definitely going to get it, but definitely wont at £150. No way i can get that past my wife for what would largely be a Halloween decoration.
    edited June 2012
    ^ + ^^ Okay, TLG never drop the price and it's not available to you from any other source. Rather than buy it, you would sooner see it be deleted without owning a copy? I struggle to believe that of any Modular fan.

£150's a lot of money, but not so much I'll turn my nose up at it altogether.
    My wife would also kill me if I paid £150, she doesn't even like Halloween!

I think I will have to put in a call. I know a man who know's a man who has a pal who once worked with a guy who has contacts that may be able to get me it for a reasonable price.
    ^^ I will either wait and pick one up in the US next time I am there for their RRP of £120 / $180, or wait until it is discounted on [email protected], or there is some other respectable offer on.

I cannot see this selling out at this price.
    ^ My scenario was hypathetical. It's not ever going to be available to you for less than £150. What do you do, swallow the £150 or watch it get EOL'd?
    ^ It will be available at less than £150, if you take into account other promotions. Will it be EOL by next May? If not, wait for the May 4th promotion. Or wait for a double VIP points promo. For me, the current Sopwith promo is not worth getting on a £150 order.

I doubt this will be a fast seller at the price they have put it at.
    edited June 2012
    ^"Hypathetically". Nevermind.

Plenty of people say that they will "NOT pay that price", but I wonder how many of those people are strong enough to wave goodbye to it altogether if their only option is to pay rrp before it was EOL'd.

But yes, in theory, you might get £7.50 credited to your VIP card. Not worth the agonising wait in my book. I'd like to own it and have it built for Halloween.
    It is not even out yet. For me, discussing having to get it at RRP before it goes EOL is too early! There will be promotions that knock off something from that price during its life, whether monetary value or freebies. So I'll wait.
    ^ Hypathetically speaking....I know I would cave, if I knew it was going EOL.
    But, I am 99.99% sure I will not pay £150 for it.
    If they had released it at £120 I would have bought it this Halloween for sure, now it will just sit on my wish list until it can be had for a more realistic price.
    And as I said, IMO I think they will price a considerable % of people out entirely at £150. Not us die hards I take your point, but a lot of the general public would baulk at paying that.
    Is the TH selling at £150? I know it has more pieces, but the HH is much much cooler and as a one-off set, probably more appealing to the rich kids.

I won't be paying £150 for it, but I know damn well I would do if I had to.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    anybody slightly uncomfortable that this appears to have gone up after a positive reaction to the previews of the set? Is this just coincidence and the early pricing info was genuinelly wrong?, or have they nudged it up after the feedback?
    Who knows? If it is the latter, then if nobody buys it, maybe it will come down again (yeah, likely!).
    edited June 2012
    ^^^ TH is squarely aimed at Adults, HH is surely aimed at kids more wouldn't you say?
    Adults pay £150 without too much thought for an Adult product, not sure the same applies for something in a kids theme (Monster Fighters).
    It is cool and its really nicely designed, but I think they could fall between both audiences, outpricing kids and not really grabbing the Adults (at that price).

Oh well, it is what it is. Just disappointed as I was keen to get it early rather than awaiting a sale. Plenty else to keep me busy though.

And yes, I do feel a little concerned that the reaction was VERY positive and the price appears to have gone up at launch. Not a small amount either, 25% higher than expected.
    ^ I think a 'kid' that can afford £120 can also afford £150. The same kid wouldn't be too fussed, I wouldn't have thought, whether it was value for money (2,700 pieces Vs £2,000). He's be more intersted in the set and how cool it was.

But then if he was to compare the value with the Vampyre Castle for example, the Haunted House wins hands down - even at £150.
    edited June 2012
    ^ Agree with you re: difference between £120 and £150.
    But, for £150, he could have:
    Vampire Castle
    Swamp Creature
    The Mummy
    Werewolf
    and The Crazy Scientist and monster

A lot of kids would prefer the 5 boxes (and lots more minifigs!)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    £120 or £150... I'm having this set within a week of it being out.
    After making a big purchase this week, I'm then saving up my Lego money for the next couple of months for Haunted House.
    I must have it.
    ^ haha!
    @princedraven:-

Bad bad example. :o) You could say that for just about every 'big format' set available. Ie. why would a kid buy a Jabba's Palace? I accept that it's aimed at kids since it's age bracket is 9-14, but using your theory, at £120, which 'kid' would buy Jabba's Palace when there are numerous cheaper SW sets he could buy all of for the same money?

Given the HH is aimed at 14+ compared with 7-14 for the other MF sets, I'd expect a 16 year old for example to go for one big set any day of the week.

Incidentally, both the TH and the HH are both aimed at 14+ so no, I don't think the HH is aimed at kids any more than TH. Your mama! ;o)
    ^ haha. fair enough.
    Oh who am I kidding, I will be buying it for sure, just been spoilt by sales recently I think, £150 seems a lot of cash. Got 6 Hogwarts castles for that... ;p
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2012
    Hypothetically, and realistically, I'ld leave it on the shelf at £150. If it was £200 and hypothetically you couldn't get it for less would you? What about £250 or £300. Where does it end. At some point you have a problem ;)

Its a really nice set, would love it. but there'll always be nice sets to spend my money on. If it goes EoL and I don't have it, well, there are literally 100's of lego sets that I don't have. 1 more isn't going to hurt.

I was really impressed with the original price - it seemed reasonable and, importantly to me, it was fair with respect to the $ and Euro price. Now it just seems like a money grab from TLG and the same old messed up exchange rates.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    ^exactly!This was the first time i thought hey the exchange rate seems pretty accurate,this time we europeans pay kinda same price than the us-people!
    Of course i have to buy it,but the price-bump leaves some bitter feelings!
  • SecretjediSecretjedi Member Posts: 175
    I was mulling over it at £120. £150 is a no-goer for me. I like it, but not looking to break my record spend on one set.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    (The following text is not a complaint, just something to consider).

Everything is relative. When you compare to swedish Lego prices, the UK prices seem like a bargain. HH will cost 1999 sek through [email protected] That is roughly €225, $280 or £180. I guess that Lego in Japan, Pakistan and some other places is even more expensive.

I'll just do what I always do with big, expensive sets: buy them from the US and pay between $50-100 for the shipping, and still pay less than here.

It sucks, but Lego is still just a hobby. I'm glad that I can afford some sets now and then, even though I don't have as much as some other people around here :)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    I agree wilts the general Comments that this is a nice set but the price is way off now. I do struggle to see why a non-IP based set is this much. It is now more than the modulars and placed itself as an either or model against the IP sets, rather than a set to be bought as well as other sets. Personally the £120 was high but in line with similar sets so seemed right. Won't even think about this until it is 30% off or more on amazon.
    Does anyone know when the price changed? I could have sworn I looked at it on [email protected] yesterday and it was £119.99.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    U.S. [email protected] lists it at $179.99. My wife wants it but that's expensive.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    ^ Well don't forget the 10% off instore coupon plus 5% VIP points...makes this set $153....comes with 6 figs...seems right to me.....must buy for this Halloween.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    @doriansdad what 10% coupon are you referring to?
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    ^ yes, my wife says if I get this, I'm done for the year (minus the Christmas Seasonals and the City Advent). Ten percent will get me another $18 to spend.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    Same here, princedraven - I think the price went up from £119.99 to £149.99 overnight.
  • ChoochChooch Member Posts: 148
    @jvdrummer182 He is probably referring to the 10% coupon that comes on the LEGO catalog for those that live close enough to a LEGO store....
    If it was £200 and hypothetically you couldn't get it for less would you? What about £250 or £300. Where does it end. At some point you have a problem ;)
    It's a Modular - I have to!! :o)
    If it goes EoL and I don't have it, well, there are literally 100's of lego sets that I don't have. 1 more isn't going to hurt.
    And there's my problem, I haven't missed any of the biggies! :o/

• JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    @Chooch I've heard about that coupon but I have yet to see one. I recently moved within 5 miles of a lego store and my newest Lego catalogue (LOTR cover) did not have the 10% coupon.
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 469
    And how do you sign up for the Lego catalogue?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    I heard that with this set, they're going to start releasing the modulars in blind packaging much like they do with CMF. So not only is the price going up, you might end up with multiples of the Grand Emporium when all you need to complete your collection is the Haunted House. ;o)
    If it were a modular then I think they would get away with the price easier.
    Releasing it as Monster Fighters is the problem.
    Would you have paid £150 for an Atlantis/PQ set?
    Would you pay £150 for a Ninjago/Dino set?

You know a year down the line Monster Fighters will be dead, so it's not like you have to have it to complete your set of modulars, its a direct MF set (which looks a bit like a modular). Even if they released it as a Seasonal set (i.e. next year you can look forward to the Crypt or Skeleton Ship or something), that would make it an easier sale.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    @Yellowcastle
    ^^ Please tell me you're kidding. It's early and I'm not yet fully awake...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,478
    ^ Well don't forget the 10% off instore coupon plus 5% VIP points...makes this set $153....comes with 6 figs...seems right to me.....must buy for this Halloween.
    The 10% is worthless to someone with a high sales tax rate in my opinion:
    10% off but 9.5% Sales tax (in IL), and I never factor in the 5% VIP points as I do not believe you are allowed to use points about to be acquired for the purchase.

The best deal will prob be via Amazon if they put it up at a discount or a BOGO50 (but then TRU is probably charging $200 US when they get their grubby paws on it)
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Well IMO this set is going to be a very hot seller...should be sold out and sell for a premium on the aftermarket similar to Winter Toy Shop the first year it was released. I'll will be in for multiples regardless of price.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Well IMO this set is going to be a very hot seller...should be sold out and sell for a premium on the aftermarket similar to Winter Toy Shop the first year it was released. I'll will be in for multiples regardless of price.
    The point is though Lego increased the original stated price which to me just makes Lego look downright greedy, even at 150 i think id still get it but anymore and it'd be just a joke.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    What is wrong with Lego being greedy? Don't we want them to make money so they keep investing and growing the company to make better and better sets in the future?