Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

"Mark All Viewed" and "Quote"

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
edited May 2011 in Forum Operation
You might have already noticed, but "Mark All Viewed" is now present in the blue menu bar. Clicking it will cause all discussions with unread posts -- designated with the yellow "new" indication -- to be considered visited. If you don't have any intention of reading all posts, but prefer to not have those indications, this is a blessing!

Also, "Quote" has been fix/reinstated. You will see this in the menu bar of every post. If you wish to quote someone in your response, click "Quote" for that intended message. While quote is an invaluable tool for responding in long discussions with multiple participants, it also at times can be overused. Please use the quote feature judiciously. By default, it will quote the entire message, so if there is a subtext that is adequate, consider deleting the rest of the text. Also, many of us have adopted "^" as a substitute of quoting, and it's effective and less cluttering when you're responding to a post immediately preceding yours.

Comments

• brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited May 2011
    This should be an announcement ;)

Also, awesome.... thanks for adding these useful features!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    Heh, and in a similar vein of cleaning up the discussions window, if you've read an announcement and would like it to no longer show up on the top of your discussions list, you can dismiss it by hovering over the discussion so the "options" box appears on the far right near the 'favorite' star. Click "options" and then "dismiss"
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    Thanks, you beat me to it.

Tech support did the business today but note that 'there is a known bug in the mark all read plugin that it doesn't work on announcements. The bug is in our issue list and will be addressed.'
    ^ It looks there may be another bug (or at least a somewhat undesirable effect). It certainly wipes the slate of the yellow indications, but it also seems to lose the memory of what you have "viewed" within a discussion. The May the Fourth discussion came back with all 168 comments considered "new", and not just the 168th comment
    OK--I'll find out if that's expected behaviour
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited May 2011
    You might have already noticed, but "Mark All Viewed" is now present in the blue menu bar. Clicking it will cause all discussions with unread posts -- designated with the yellow "new" indication -- to be considered visited. If you don't have any intention of reading all posts, but prefer to not have those indications, this is a blessing!

Also, "Quote" has been fix/reinstated. You will see this in the menu bar of every post. If you wish to quote someone in your response, click "Quote" for that intended message. While quote is an invaluable tool for responding in long discussions with multiple participants, it also at times can be overused. Please use the quote feature judiciously. By default, it will quote the entire message, so if there is a subtext that is adequate, consider deleting the rest of the text. Also, many of us have adopted "^" as a substitute of quoting, and it's effective and less cluttering when you're responding to a post immediately preceding yours.
    Thanks! ;o)
    infraction noted on 5/10/2011 - @rocao
    edited May 2011
    I'm told "The plugin author designed it to work that way. Basically, when you "mark all read", it wipes out your full history of what you've viewed as of that date. From that point forward, as new comments are added, it's like all of the comments inside are new. I think the author did it this way because of technical challenges more than anything else. "

So, pretty much useless, then :-(
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ I think it should be disabled again in that case, it'll cause chaos for those that use it!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    ^ I think it should be disabled again in that case, it'll cause chaos for those that use it!
    There's certainly a case for that....I won't be using it again, that's for sure....

It is less useful, but it still has its uses. A new member who has no aspirations of visiting every conversation can just wipe the slate clean from day one and catch up as conversations are updated.

For me, I'll use it occasionally -- say, once a week - to purge indications that I never plan to visit. While losing track of your place in previous conversations is an annoyance, I'm usually caught up by just viewing the last few messages in a discussion.
    edited May 2011
    ^ I've not tried it, but from what you said, after clicking Mark All Read, the next time someone updated any discussion, wouldn't it mark every single post, old and new, as new to you in that discussion? Can't see how that will be useful for anyone, it sounds like it wouldn't be possible to tell which comments were genuinely new?
    ^ Maybe I didn't explain it well enough.

Yes, that's the behavior. But I prefer being able to "unyellow" conversations I never intend to visit (i.e. some Marketplace posts), and just lose my footing in previously viewed threads since my reasoning is that I can just catch myself up quickly by looking at the end of the thread. Each displayed page of posts will then be marked as read, as it should do.

And those that don't like that behavior, can simply not use it :P
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ I second rocao. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.
    edited May 2011
    I will ignore it, pretend it isn't there, bit like I do with Hero Factory ;-)