Punctuation in searches

leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
edited August 2012 in Brickset.com
This may be a feature request, or a bug report, not sure. I doubt it's relevant for many sets.

I have a request to adjust the searching to ignore punctuation. I think it's pretty normal (or at least Google does it, so that's probably what everyone expects) to ignore punctuation in both the search term and the term to match.

I'd expect "helms deep" to find the relevant sets, but you have to type in "helm's deep" (I notice that case gets ignored).

Thanks for listening.

Lee

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    That bothered me for a while too while I was looking up Queen Anne's revenge a lot. Guess I got used to it but it would be nice for it to be ignored.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    The forum search is at best poor, no argument from me there. As with most things forum, not much we can do about it I'm afraid other than badger vanilla to improve it.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ I think we're talking about the main site :-)
    @Huw is probably best placed to help on this.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,439
    ^^ If so, I might be able to, although the search term is passed verbatim to SQL Server so I'd need to find a way to get it to do what's needed. Maybe soundex would help.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Yes, I was talking about the main site.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^^ If you're using full-text indexes you can use CONTAINS instead of LIKE to do things like ignore punctuation.