Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Headland Hotel Newquay. Please go and take a look.

Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
edited August 2012 in Everything else LEGO
My Lego Hotel made the papers, the Newquay Voice and the Cornish Guardian.
and the "This Is Cornwall" Website.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Iconic-hotel-rebuilt-brick-tiny-brick/story-16796645-detail/story.html

The Headland hotel where my building will be displayed for a year have also put it on there website

http://www.headlandhotel.co.uk/the-headland/latest-news.php.
TheBrickLaddbrickedinrichlCam_n_Stu

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    fantastic and congrats!
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 522
    Fantastic!
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Nice one, looks good in place.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    It's amazing! congrats! just wish you were bringing it to STEAM. Great that you got some coverage for it :)
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Excellent! Must've taken forever.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Stunning job, great to see the finished piece. You must be rightly proud! Did the seagulls make the final mix?
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    Thanks for the great comments Guys, the owners of the hotel were "Bowled over" with my version of there iconic building.

The Headland treated my wife and I as VIPs during our stay giving us one of the most expensive rooms and a luxury three course meal.

I was worried that something would get damaged on the way down or I had forgotten a major part, but luckily only a few minor pieces fell off. I guess you guys who regularly display go through this all the time.

It still took me the best part of four hours to reconstruct the sixteen large sections, it would have been shorter but as I was building in a public area I found myself bombarded with questions and complements from children and adults. It was great to see how many people were into Lego and was happy to talk about our favorite subject.

At the moment it is in their Ballroom, but in the next few weeks they are planning to move it to a better area were it can be viewed fully from all angles. There is also talk of a perspex cover being made to protect it. We have been invited down to supervise the move.

It did make two news papers in Cornwall and I was scheduled an interview with ITV but they cancelled at the last minuet. ( you beat me there @Savage_Steel :-) ).

Thanks again for the comments

Jeff

@caperberry I ended up using grey parrots, the seagulls I made look too fat:-)
    Cam_n_Stu
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    Well done Jeff, a real master piece

I visited that hotel about 20 years ago with my parents on a trip to Newquay.
    My home town of Dinard in France is twins with Newquay, so I went there regularly. I love the area.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Shame they cancelled the interview - we had a lot of fun with our press day. Maybe get in touch with the BBC local news, they might want to do it? It is fabulous! Glad you got the VIP treatment, sounds lovely!
  • kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    looks neat. I like the part in the article about how your wife will get all your spare time again. I would guess another build will be commencing soon though.
    @kuf I was going to make Pulteney Bridge, Bath, but most of my tan bricks are tied up in the hotel at the moment, The wife's relived, but I'll think of something else soon.:-)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    As someone that hangs out on this board because I have Lego-obsessed kids, let me say I am utterly impressed with such a magnificient build!

It really is a work of art.

Congrats on your anniversary as well. :-)
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    Amazing! I've been following your progress on Flickr but seeing sections didn't quite prepare me for how HUGE the whole thing was.

Wow. I'd ask if you Bricklinked that but I also know the size of your private collection! LOL.

Congrats on the anniversary and the model! :D
    ^ Thanks Cindy. We had a great time, I don't think the hotel was quite prepared for the size of it either. Originally they set out one table for me to display it on. I asked for another two before I had enough room to set up.

@tamamahm @Supersympa Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    It's beautiful, congratulations.
    It has now made the local news in Cornwall. I can't seem to find a link to the video just to a still.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/uk/
  • That's pretty impressive. I went there for a wedding years back when I was very young and from what I remember it seems pretty accurate!
    I just had a look at the Headlands webpage. Looks like they are pleased with my efforts. :0)

http://www.headlandhotel.co.uk/explore/news/
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @Bluefox1966 guess you'll have to make another =-) Congrats! That model is simply fantastic, I'd love to have a chance to see it up close someday!
    @murphquake I'm sorry to see it go, but I had nowhere to keep it if I had brought it back home. I my wife's exact words were "that's not going back in my lounge". I guess I can't blame her :-)
    cheshirecat
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Wow! Now we can all see it when we visit the Headland in Newquay. Brilliant place for its permanent home. Congratulations!
    Bluefox1966
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    I stayed there on holiday a few months back. I probably spent an easy hour or so just looking at that build. Very nicely done, sir.
    @legogal @Phonebooth Thank you for you comments, it really is nice to know you like. I actually stayed there in July this year. Its great place for a holiday and now a permanent bonus for Lego enthusiasts to visit.
    Here's the MOC link http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/322815 if anyone is interested.
  • minifignickminifignick UKMember Posts: 107
    WOW ! I don't live that far away so plan to make a journey to see it for real Great work and can't wait to see it in "the flesh"
    @minifignick as you enter the hotel the reception is on your right (you can ask here if you are no sure), go past the reception and on your left will be a huge staircase go up these, two short flights, and the model is on the landing in front of you. Enjoy :-)
    minifignick