Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AnseltheCat: Hello from London, UK

AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
edited May 2011 in Introduce yourself
Hi Everybody!

I thought as I am spending so much time reading the site and occasionally commenting it was time I introduced myself.

As you can see from my collection on Brickset, I am a bit of a Star Wars fan! I guess this comes down to the fact that Star Wars was the first film I saw at the cinema aged 7. Like many other kids of my generation, I was hooked for life from the opening crawl.

Fast forward to about 18 months ago and poking around in the loft trying to take my mind off the fact I had just given up smoking. I found an unopened 6205 V-Wing Fighter that I had bought years ago on a whim. That afternoon I built the set three times over, such relief it was for my restless fingers and a distraction from the nasty addiction I was fighting to leave behind.

After the third build of the V-Wing I decided that a trip to my local Toys R Us was needed, not realising at the time that a new addiction was starting to take hold! Twenty minutes later I was back home clutching a brand new X-Wing with oh so many new minifigures, at least it seemed a lot at the time. I went into a frenzy (I think the treble espresso might have been a bad idea?) searching through many boxes in the loft until I found my old LUL Vader and 7250 Clone trooper minifigures. I was rather sad upon remembering I had recycled the rest of these sets but undeterred I settled down to build my first ever Lego X-Wing. Of course the next day I had to add Vader's Tie Fighter and an Imperial Dropship to even up the troops a little..

It would seem as of today I have just over 250 Lego Star Wars minifigures and 61 sets. Gulp. I wonder if carrying on smoking may have been cheaper sometimes. I do have a few non SW Lego sets but these are few and far between and mostly made up of free polybags from newspapers.

I have come to the conclusion very recently that I enjoy building the large ships far more than the little sets, however tempting those new minifigures may be. I would like to think this may stop me buying the smaller sets hence forth to allow for more large sets and maybe even a UCS or two. In reality though I'm not sure I will be able to resist, maybe after this wave...

Comments

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Hi Ansel, what a lovely introduction, and a nice insight into your world. :)
    It maybe expensive, but A) it's better for your health B) you could at least sell some it later (that's my excuse for the ridiculous amount I'm spending!
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    edited May 2011
    Hi Savage,

Your points are exactly how I rationalise it. :) However point B unfortunately means I will not allow myself to dispose of a single box. I seem to have amassed a large box collection as well as Lego!

• PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    Nice to meet you! I'm a big Star Wars fan myself, and I too have a big collection of SW sets, though not as many as you! I'm glad somone else out there besides me appreciates the big sets more than the little ones. While the little ones have great figs, you just can't beat the awesomeness of the big sets :)
    @PaulTR Thanks, nice to meet you too. Just had a quick look at your collection and I have to say I'm a little jealous of your ISD and Jabba's Sail Barge, amongst others. Nice collection you have there fella.

@Savage_Steel I notice your collection is not public on Brickset, are you worried your other half will find out about the sets you are secretly buying and hiding?! ;-p
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,727
    ^^ It's interesting how many SW collectors seem to divide into those predominantly interested in the minifigs and those who are primarily interested in the models themselves. I'm definitely one of the latter, and it's the big ships that I really love..... @PaulTR you have a world of huge, wonderful UCS sets to catch up on !
    edited May 2011
    The comment on the minifigs is very interesting and something I have been thinking about quite a lot recently. Obviously I quite like them due to the fact I have a whole horde of the little blighters and they are the thing that has made me purchase so many of the smaller sets, but the thrill of getting them is very much a short and sweet sugary rush compared to the overall satisfaction a gourmet three course meal of a 1000+ piece set offers.

At present I have all my minifigs displayed on a couple of large grey baseplates atop a rather pleasing sideboard in our spare room/office space/lego display room. They are starting to get a little dusty which means in time I will end up storing the majority of them away in little bags in drawers. At that point I will start to wonder what the point of having them is and maybe the money would be invested elsewhere. Elsewhere being some UCS sets!

This is exactly the cycle I have gone through with Star Wars action figures, at one point I had over 200 of those and have now sold all but my original Kenner ones I had as a boy and a few others from the PT that I would like to give to my kids one day, if I am blessed enough to have children.

Anyway, I digress. I'm off to have a look at drdavewatford's collection..

edit.. swoon. @drdavewatford Do you have a very big display area or are most of your sets in storage? I have just this weekend broken down quite a few of my smaller sets and realised that taking them apart is actually rather enjoyable as well.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2011
    @AnseltheCat I agree with you 100%. The new Clone War figs are all the rage nowadays, but I still like the big, well constructed sets of old who contained solid, decent figs with no frills and no outrageous prices. While I do drool over new figs, how many itinerations of the ubiquitous clone are they going to make!?

@drdavewatford Hahaha! Yeah, you got that right! I've always loved the UCS stuff, but I could never afford them, even at the cheap prices they go for when LEGO cuts the prices. As a compromise, I try to buy sets that look respectable and still function (like the Fighter Tank and X-Wing) because, unlike many hard-core LEGO fans, I still actually "swoosh" my sets around. Ain't that funny and/or a disturbing thing? Here I am, about to finish high-school and get a respectable job, and I still have fun blowing up Rebel bases with my ISD. I think I need to go to therapy...as long as they have some soothing LEGO pieces at the psychologist's office!
  • gold682gold682 UKMember Posts: 257
    Hi Ansel.....soon to be the proud owner of a Chrome Vadar! (and me to become owner of a boba fett!)
    Anyway, my passion for Lego was re-ignited when I purchased the 10174 UCS AT-ST from Argos a few years ago on a whim (they were flogging them off for £25). I sat down to build it one evening over Xmas period and was totally immersed in the build and how good it looked completed. Well that was it, I was hooked. I've now got about 150 SW sets and own all but 3 of the UCS sets - my favourites, since I prefer the scale and detail to the figures!

If you do go the UCS route, be warned you need a LOT of space to build and display. I only have the Falcon and Sandcrawler on display at the mo.

Recently i've become a bit bored with SW and the latest offerings (I soo much prefer classic SW to Clone Wars in terms of the ships) and have now invested in a few trains and train sets. I purchased these in the guise that they were for our soon to be 11 year old son!

I've also started loking seriously at the modular range, and will probably be investing shortly in my first one - the Fire Brigade. I suspect it will shortly be followed by the Grand Emporium and then the Pet Shop. I'm nervous (well my bank account is) about then wanting the "set" - Cafe Corner and Green Grocer!

I have come to realise, no matter what you collect in Lego, it's almost impossible to lose money, should you come to sell it - beats putting the money in the bank!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,727
    ^^^ I do have a fair bit of display space around the house, but given I now have all the SW sets (until June at least....) the vast majority of my SW models are in their boxes and safely stored within some huge shelving units.... I tend to leave the bigger models built and on display for a few months before returning them to their boxes and building something else.

^ I'm also a massive fan of the modulars, big sets such as Tower Bridge and Taj Mahal, and other themes such as Indiana Jones. OK, so my collection's starting to get ridiculously big, but whenever I start to question my sanity I remind myself that there are those wth collections which dwarf mine and I quickly feel fine again !

And as for psychological help, for many of us, LEGO IS our psychological help !
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ "OK, so my collection's starting to get ridiculously big..."

Starting? Um, I think you're past that point. Nothing wrong with that.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Oh, I'm newly out of my dark ages, so there's not a lot to see on my list, but it's public now.
    It's rather random due to buying a few 10kg tubs of random things on ebay, and assembling the sets (about 50% are going back on ebay).
    But the modulars, trains and creating a perfect cityscape are my thing. I'm afraid SW does nothing for me (or perhaps I'm grateful for that really!)

Hubby has recently come out and joined me in the lego fun - thankfully - as I'm fully addicted and I'm building every day at the moment. Thankfully the ebay bulk buys keep me going for days, and I do the 'big' sets with hubby, he doesn't have the patience for sorting out 10kilos of lego!