Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] 3316 Friends Advent - Extremely Limited Availability

Comments

• mandm51mandm51 Member Posts: 16
    Was at the McLean, VA store and they had a good amount. I bought one for my girls. The city one looked cooler.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    edited September 2012
    Still have 5 shelved in Chandler, AZ, although the staff was aggressively suggesting them for some reason.
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    Picked three at Columbus shop. They did have a 'limited' sign on these although store had plenty of stock when I left.
  • JdawgJdawg St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Member Posts: 83
    I was at the Somerset Mall in Troy MI. yesterday and they still had 10 or more there. It was hard to leave without one, but I had my hands already full.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Told myself to pick up one a while ago, but the store still had lots of stock. Figured I would buy it in October when double VIP promo is on. :)
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    Is there any real rumor of low production? Or just not sold widely?
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    These are also being sold at independent toy stores. A local one in Beverly Hills had tons.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ruh roh!
    ^^ Did you check the price? Sometimes these independents buy them like us and resale higher if their customers will pay it.
    gmpirate said:

^^ Did you check the price? Sometimes these independents buy them like us and resale higher if their customers will pay it.

$39.99; oddly the Star Wars advent was also priced at $39.99. It's a larger independent with three locations and most sets at MSRP; they buy through regular channels, I'm sure.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    This was mentioned somewhere else for sure, but so far Friends has sold twice as well as expected. So I'm sure the demand will be there for this calendar when the Christmas shopping season rolls around. The rumors about the calendar being canceled have several sources and it seems that some sort of cancellation did happen. So it seems entirely reasonable that this set will vanish fairly quickly from shelves in the US.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^^ They may normally buy through regular channels, but every source I've heard from has had the same story - these were not made available for any retailers outside of TLG stores.

My guess is these independents did exactly what an independent in my area did - come into the store, buy a bunch up, then put them on their own shelves.
    ^ would tend to agree. Can't see Lego by-passing the big guys for some little independent.
    dougts said:

^^ They may normally buy through regular channels, but every source I've heard from has had the same story - these were not made available for any retailers outside of TLG stores.

My guess is these independents did exactly what an independent in my area did - come into the store, buy a bunch up, then put them on their own shelves.

And mark them up $5 for a profit of $2 and change after tax? I truly doubt it.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    ^ They could have used VIP discounts. Perhaps they have many christian clienteles in the area and use it as loss leader ?
    The tax Is passed through so that's a wash. $5 plus VIP points. It's about volume and availability. Plus they probably Plan on raising the price once holiday shopping starts and Lego has sold out
    Last Friday week my store in Mclean, VA had a lot of them. It kind of made me feel silly for buying it early last month. I was excited about having a rare toy, but my kid's will have fun with it if nothing else. I'll be back to the store later this week to buy my October purchases. Maybe more will have sold.
    My store ran out of these about two weeks ago, and as said all along, they never got a second shipment nor will they. Can anyone indicate whether more of these are still at LEGO stores in other regions?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ I believe this is the case with my store as well. Sold out probably a couple of weeks ago and has not restocked.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    lol, remember how I said I would wait until they had double VIP and then I would buy this? Well they ran out. Oh well.
    Haven't checked since October 1st, but they had them then.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    I hope my local store still has one on Saturday, my wife promised another mom that we'd pick one up for her. Glad I bought mine in August.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    My store had at least four of them on Tuesday.
  • lesliesfbaylesliesfbay Member Posts: 10
    I saw a full shelf in the San Mateo Lego store two weeks ago, and today, I saw a full shelf in the Pleasanton Lego store. Both are in CA.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322

This was mentioned somewhere else for sure, but so far Friends has sold twice as well as expected. So I'm sure the demand will be there for this calendar when the Christmas shopping season rolls around. The rumors about the calendar being canceled have several sources and it seems that some sort of cancellation did happen. So it seems entirely reasonable that this set will vanish fairly quickly from shelves in the US.

Yes, that was in the Wall Street Journal article about a month ago. So, the demand should go up if the supply is short.
  • ChoochChooch Member Posts: 148
    Portland, OR LEGO store was OOS of the Friends Calendar when we were there last weekend.
    Went by a couple stores today. Both had the calendars in stock but one "appeared" to be low.
    I was at the McLean store on Columbus Day and there were still plenty.
    Found one in the Milwaukee area store today. They had more on the shelves, but remember it's still only October, a month and a half before Advent Calendar season.
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122
    San Diego had a fairly full shelf of them today.
    I've checked four stores this week. They all had stock.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    edited October 2012
    I think the only factors that apply for selling these now would be how many stores are in your state, and whether that have stock. There is only one store in my entire state and they sold their last ones almost a month ago. For those of us in the USA, we might have to sell nearby with Craigslist if we want profit now. Otherwise wait until BF arrives.

That period of time also scares me as I'm sure there will be a lot of resellers with the same idea.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    wait until black friday, then check stock at the stores. Thats when people really start shopping for x-mas.
  • gharper2gharper2 Member Posts: 5
    I was at a Lego store in grapevine, Texas yesterday. They had more than 25 of them out on display.
    They are constantly replenishing, that's for sure -- even if it is just from storage.
    Umm... you guys do realize that advent calendars lead up to Christmas, right? You don't typically give them as Christmas gifts, you start opening one door a day on December 1st. If you wait until Black Friday, you are cutting it close to ship it to someone before 12/1.

With that said, I don't think most parents are thinking about advent calendars in October. Wait until November, and these things start to fly off the shelves.
    ^You do realize you are telling a European majority how to use an Advent Calendar, right? ;o)
    ^^ Really???

There have been advent calendars in the past that sell out way before Christmas. And no one is freaking out, just keeping tabs. Personally, I find it helpful to hear what is going on in different places around the country.
    edited October 2012
    Tysons Corner store in VA is sold out. The Legoland store in Atlanta has a decent amount.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 737
    I've been reading the responses about "availability" on the Friends Advent. While they might not be "extremely limited", from my side of the Lego isle, they're hard to get. I'm in Iowa.....we don't have a LEGO store anywhere near here. Mall of America is 3 hrs, Kansas City is 5hr, Chicago is 5 hrs. And they aren't on most websites (Walmart/Target) for sale and not sold in stores like Advents were last year. So while the LEGO stores may have 20-30 in-stock, at least there aren't 10-15 in every Walmart/Target/KMart/TRU in the country.
    Just another perspective....not saying they're limited...it's just not easy for everyone to get.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    @scotty12 I have a couple in CR if you need one.
  • SkadarSkadar Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone else find it incredibly misleading that a horse, a cart, and a minifig are clearly displayed on the back of the box... and are NOT included in the set? It's not like the cart is far in the background either, it's right up there next to pieces that are included. Peeps on Amazon are complaining about this and I agree with them.
    What's really interesting is that in the alternate images here on Brickset the horse and buggy are shown. Likewise on the City calendar, there are models shown here on Brickset in the alternate images that aren't part of the calendar.

The Advent Calendars have always shown things on the box from the theme that weren't part of the calendar, but this year I wonder if the pictures were taken before the inventory was finalized.
  • SkadarSkadar Member Posts: 11
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking... that the horse and cart were originally meant to be included until they ran the numbers or something.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Skadar said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... that the horse and cart were originally meant to be included until they ran the numbers or something.

Hmm. You know... I actually would not be surprised if that was the case. Nobody has come up with a good reason as to why this particular calendar was limited, IF Lego is supposedly having such a good success with Lego Friends. I have to wonder if the issue was price point.
    When one looks at the Friends line, they very specifically have a number of small low price sets. I suspect because it is far easier to entice a mom/grandmom/kid to 'try' at that price point. With the increase in price of the City Advent set and the Star Wars Advent set, I have to wonder if to add the larger piece in that they planned, would have caused the set price to go up, and perhaps market research showed then that the overall sales in the US go way down.
    Perhaps because there is an established history in families of Lego advent calendar for boys, parents are more willing to shell out $50 bucks for that Star Wars advent calendar, because their kid really, really wants it because he has had a Lego calendar for X years.... but other parents are not so willing to put out $40-$50 dollars on an equivalent girl calendar... so maybe they backed off the pieces, kept the price low and went with a limited release in the US.

Obviously sheer speculation...

Just curious what the stock levels are like right now in various areas?
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    edited November 2012
    I saw some still at the Arrowhead Mall store (Phoenix, AZ) over the weekend at least 3 on the shelf.

@tamamahm I don't think people are willing to pay $50 for the Star Wars Advent Calendar since they've already started to discount it. It's currently priced at $39.99.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    I completely agree. I believe that is precisely why the price has been discounted already.
    My comments were more in reference to what Lego was initially thinking before they saw how the market responded.
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Still a few a few Friends calendars in Raleigh, NC I believe. I'm probably going to take 1 of the 2 I bought back and open the other.
    Gone for almost two months at the Tigard, OR store.