Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] 3316 Friends Advent - Extremely Limited Availability

Comments

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    I feel like I've been tricked into buying girly Lego on the basis of rumours! :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    ^ Lol. I didn't have a single modular until the Fire Station EOL rumour started last year. A month later I had them all and was broke!!
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    It's only September guys. I don't think Lego would do such a limited run that the stores would only receive one delivery in early September and that's it.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    I was at my Lego store for almost an hour and a half. They had plenty in stock. The weren't even glanced at until someone (obviously a reseller) came by and grabbed 5, and there was still a lot left.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    gmpirate said:

It's only September guys. I don't think Lego would do such a limited run that the stores would only receive one delivery in early September and that's it.

According to the LEGO store Managers I've talked to (three of them), that's exactly what is going to happen - 1 shipment, that's it. They will restock the other advent calendars, but not Friends.

^ Which is contrary to the ones I've discussed with. I know of two UK stores of which have already received two shipments in so many weeks.
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    ^ I think the one shipment is only for US LEGO stores.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ The UK and Europe stores (wait, isn't that really the same thing, or is that an insult to the UK?) are different from the US stores.

The stores "across the pond" are getting restocked, but the US stores are not. Or so it seems.

But who really knows, time will tell.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    Is there a plausible reason why only US stores shouldn't be restocked on a set that seems to sell like hot cupcakes everywhere and is available to boot?
    :) I will have to remember that one...

"sells like hot cupcakes!"
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    ... isn't that the expression? ;)
    Not that I know of... It should be:

"these are selling like hotcakes"

Hotcakes is another word for pancakes, cupcakes are a desert, pancakes are breakfast.

No, I don't know where the phrase came from, but if I cared, I'm sure Wikipedia would tell me. ;)
    edited September 2012
    ^ Cupcakes? Or is it Fairy cakes? Either or. :-) 'Sell like hotcakes' will do fine. :-D
    The expression is "Sell like hotcakes"(pancakes). You did make your point though.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Hot cupcakes? Yuck! The frosting would all melt off!
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    I have a curiosity on the limited availability in the U.S. I've seen this in the past, with other toy companies, that limited supply on toys that then became the "hottest" toy of the season. Hotter than hot cupcakes even :p

Such a move in the U.S. could gain Lego a great deal of free Press. I really don't see Lego doing this to create free attention (aka, advertising), but I have seen such actions by other companies.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    mmmmmmmmm hot cupcakes!
    'Hot cupcakes' - I think it belongs in the Acronym list. :-)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Hot cupcake could also describe a particularly good looking ETSY seller.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    It could be that this tradition isn't typically American, thus the reason for not restocking US stores, if in fact that is the plan.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I remember doing Advent calendars as a child all the time. However, outside of the LEGO ones, I can't say I ever hear this as a tradition anymore here in the US (30 years later). I have nothing to back this up, but I suspect it's one of those traditions here that has sharply declined over the past few decades, but is perhaps still going stronger in the Old World countries, which tend to have more traditions in general, and stick to them longer.

Americans - the ultimate live in the moment people.
    I did it as well 30 years ago, but haven't for a very long time. I had honestly forgotten about it until I saw the Lego Advent Calendars. :)
    Christmas also remains quite different over here full stop. We don't have Thanksgiving and its related shopping experience, we only have Christmas. We merge it with New Year and have an almighty time for at least a week, almost two. I noticed in my local supermarket at the weekend they already had half an aisle of Christmas things out.

I'm of the age when Chocolate advent calendars really started but weren't the norm. I wasn't allowed them, just chocolate on the tree. And looking back those advent calendars without chocolate or a toy really were awful - what's behind the door? oh its a picture of a shepherd. How festive!
    ^ yep, those were the ones I had. nothing behind the door except a picture. they were usually themed to some sort of popular IP at the time. I think I remember having a Peanuts (Charlie Brown) one one year.

Chocolate on the tree? that sounds kind of interesting. never heard of it...
    edited September 2012
    ^ Snoopy would have been cool, we just had 'Christmas' themed ones, often a nativity scene.....

Tree chocolates may have been a more European thing more than british (im not sure as my family lived in Holland for about 10 years). And I can't remember now if we got to eat them one a day in the days leading up to Christmas or one a day after christmas - I think the later. They used to look a little like this, ...

... just solid block of chocolate wrapped in foil but without the dr who ip. But now they seem to look more like this...

My favourite though were Chocolate letters, which i think are a Dutch Sinterklaas Eve thing, but we used to get one in our stocking.

They are big, and to a child MASSIVE. And so so tasty. Especially back then when eating chocolate wasn't as frequent as it is now.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,764
    ^ Yeah, the good thing about Holland is you get Sinterklaas / Black Pete and Christmas. Double chocolate. I love the kilo bags of kruidnoten.

I remember the boring nativity advent calendars of the 70s. I even remember my parents reusing them by closing the windows for the next year. I also remember fairly naff advent candles, you had to burn them for an hour a day.
    ^ there are so many good things about Holland - chocolate (Droits are lovely too), pancakes, the girls. Ah good times.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^^ I've just come back from Holland with a few bags of Kruidnoten and Stroopwaffels (and peanut butter m&ms procured by my sister's bf on a trip States-side!) and I fully expect to receive my massive chocolate "L" from my sister come Winter. Yumtastic!! :-))

We always hang choccys on the Christmas tree in my house too :-)
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49

Not sure if Amazon.it will ship to the U.S., but my copy is on the way from there, and it's a veritable bargain at €19.99 compared with the U.S. price...

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B007457I3Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gl00-21&linkCode=as2&camp=3370&creative=24114&creativeASIN=B007457I3Q

Still cheaper if you order it from Italy Amazon + shipping than buy it here?
    ^^ I think I might have to import some chocolate letters for my kids this year.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I remember seeing those chocolate letters in North America but I had no idea they were a holiday tradition. What is the significance?

I do remember getting a chocolate advent calendar as a kid but thinking the chocolate tasted bad and not being interested in going though with it. I never got one again.

As for the friends calendar, my store had plenty so far. A (small) shelf full plus a tall stack behind the counter.
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    As a Brit I can confirm that chocolate on the tree has been around at least since I can remember, so over 30 years.

As a current US resident I can also confirm that there's no correlating tradition here. Also, I'm going to go and buy a tin of Roses or Quality Street to stick under the tree too...
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    My local Lego store had 4 friends advents on the shelf and said thats all they were getting. Only grabbed one.
  • spicemindspicemind Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2012
    My local store (Northern California) had 8 of the calendars in stock. The employee didn't say anything other than this was a limited release. I was in the store for nearly 30 minutes with my fiancee and we only noticed one family looking at Friends sets; no one picked up an Advent Calendar.

So that is a small sample size, of course, but while I agree this may be a limited set, if no one wants it, will it matter?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    It's September.
    gmpirate said:

It's September.

Yea, it is way, way, way too early to tell. Black Friday will be much more interesting to watch for these...
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    and we only noticed one family looking at Friends sets; no one picked up an Advent Calendar.
    So that is a small sample size, of course, but while I agree this may be a limited set, if no one wants it, will it matter?

Was this today? Wednesday is generally not the best time to gauge this. Saturday would be.

There are always kids looking at Friends at my store during the weekends.

As for the Calendar, only people like me are out shopping this insanely early for Christmas. ;-) In addition, if there was only one family looking at friends while you were there, then no...nobody is going to be looking at the calendar.

As they have stated, it is September. If things go as I'm thinking, I expect some Friends sets to be hard to find the closer it gets to Christmas. It depends on how much Lego has correctly gauged the market.

tamamahm said:

Was this today? Wednesday is generally not the best time to gauge this. Saturday would be.

There are always kids looking at Friends at my store during the weekends.

Wisdom. Seriously.
    I went to the store on a "school day", no action. The next Saturday, when I step in, they had the same amount of stock. When I left an hour and a half later (PAB), five were purchased.
  • spicemindspicemind Member Posts: 17
    tamamahm said:

Sorry, I should have given some more detail. This was on a Saturday afternoon. The store was pretty busy; busier than "normal" for this time of year. Lots of kids and parents looking at Star Wars, Ninjago, and the Super Heroes sets. A few looking at the LotR and City sets. The Technic, Friends, and Monster Fighters sections didn't garner much interest.

I agree that this may not be the best time of the year to gauge the popularity of this set (or any set, for that matter); however, I just wanted to throw it out there as another data point.
    I regularly talk to my Lego store employees about what themes are selling. Friends and monster fighters have been consistently hot items
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Interesting on it being a Saturday afternoon. I have to wonder if you are encountering some regional variability for your area.
    dougts said:

I regularly talk to my Lego store employees about what themes are selling. Friends and monster fighters have been consistently hot items

This is also what I've been hearing, and seeing.

In retail stores especially, these are the two themes I see people really looking at. Ninjago always carries the most 'looks' at the Lego store and in retail.

• DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    I did notice that the Friends advent calendar wasn't featured in the most recent mail catalog, while both the City and Star Wars were. Just another data point but it doesn't look like they are trying to ramp up demand for this set in the US.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ they're not selling it via SAH, so of course it wouldn't be in the catalog...
    ^^ That's interesting. I might be wrong, but I'm sure it was in the UK catalogue I received last week. It is available for us to order on [email protected] also.
    ^ exactly. as was reported months ago, and confirmed at the top of this thread, LEGO decided to not offer this to North American retailers or via NA [email protected] The likely reason there is even any supply at all in NA Lego stores is due to stocks already shipped over prior to this decision, which they then dispersed out to LEGO stores to sell off
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ Which would explain why some stores have like 8 and saying they arent getting more while other stores have a ton. Stores know their sales and when things would be needed so a smaller store or one that doesn't get a lot of Friends business might have only ordered a few in wave 1 expecting to be able to order more later. Then it was decided not to offer it so wave 1 is all they are getting.
    Other than pick a brick, stores don't place orders. They are allocated items based on sales and inventory
    edited September 2012
    dougts said:

^ exactly. as was reported months ago, and confirmed at the top of this thread

Apologies, got bored with the thread a while ago. Thought I'd just take a quick peek now and again but went straight to the most recent half a dozen. That will teach me. :o)

• ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    There store in Arundel Mills, MD, had a bunch. Picked up two today. Probably had 30+ piled up on display.