Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Charity Shop Morals

SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
edited August 2012 in Everything else LEGO
Never found myself in this situation but.....

You wander past a charity shop and you spot some Lego. You dive in and know it's being offered for sale at around 20% of its market value. Do you pull out your wallet quickly and buy? Do you offer pricing advice? Do you offer them more like the market rate minus say 20% to allow for it being incomplete?

No matter what the bargin I don't think I could do it to a charity shop. It would feel like I was screwing them over. Not a judgement on anyone who has purchased Lego this way just personal opinion.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    My conscience wouldn't let me rip them off (or anyone really). I'd offer what I thought was a fair price depending on condition.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    There is a thrift store around the block, and I used to visit often. Sometimes I find loose LEGO bricks in bags mixed in with M*** B****. :-/ And then there are times when I find boxed sets, none of which exceeds $20.

I don't bargain cause there is a price on the sticker plus, isn't it already cheap enough?

But I'm not so lucky nowadays. With everyone starting to learn the price of old LEGO, they aren't donating it to thrift stores anymore instead they sell them on eBay or Craigslist.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ Is a thrift store the same as a charity shop?

A charity shop here donates the proceeds to whoever they represent. Cancer Research for example.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    edited August 2012
    I believe they donate all their money to a couple of non-profit organizations. Though, I prefer it if they donate the money to the local hospital for research purposes.

But yea, they donate the money earned.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    If anything, my local charity shops seem to price LEGO over market value.... As in the case of car boot sales, the world in general seems to be getting wise to LEGO as a good way of raising cash.
  • langlang Member Posts: 16
    Pay the stickered price and make a donation to charity directly. That way, you know where the money is going and conscience is satisfied.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If you pay more than the tag price you are assuming the money goes to charity. I would pay the price on the tag and make a personal donation to the charity of my choice for the difference.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    I dunno if they dont know the price of something then that's not my fault and I dont feel its my job to point it out. I am buying from them so the money goes to the charity. That said its harder and harder to find any lego in charity shops as Dave says most people are using it to raise cash on ebay.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,827
    I would just snap it up. The main reason is that the odd time the charity shops in my village get lego, it seems to be bang on secondary market prices, which I always find rather odd, and disappointing. The last set I saw was a used Ramses Pyramid 3843. It was for sale for £8, which is more than I have bought new ones for.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    ^ Precisely - charity shops seem to be getting wise to second hand prices, although I'd rather give them my money than someone on eBay.