Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

First 'Octan' set

plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
edited August 2012 in Everything else LEGO
Just out of interest, does anyone know which was the first Lego set to feature the now ubiquitous 'Octan' fuel logo?

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The Octan label debuted, as far as I can tell, in 1992. This set is probably the first (or at least the flagship of that debut).

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6397-1
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^ not to mention a true classic
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    ^^ I have that set! Got it for free.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 783
    Oh I've always wanted that set. Ever since seeing it in Lego Island, I have just had this soft spot for it.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 531
    Yes! Octan was a logo that dominated my childhood in the mid-90s, and it all started with a Formula 1 Race car set from 1993 (set number #1990 I believe). From then on, I had Octan everywhere. I later obtained the Gas Stop Shop in 1995 and the Checkered Flag 500 in a garage sale. Ironically, the last Octan set I got when it was new was the Lego Legend release of the Gas n' Wash Express in 2001. However, in recent years, I returned to that favorite logo with eBay acquisitions of the Gas Transit and the 8880 Super Car (check the sticker sheet...the alternate Formula 1 car is an Octan racer!).
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,107
    I remember getting #6397 and being so excited to have green bricks for a change. Still amazes me how many colors bricks come in now.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    I have the re released version. I have it for sale :)
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    Haha, I seem to have started off a wave of nostalgia. I asked because early Lego petrol stations, tankers, etc were Shell. Presumably they invented 'Octan' to replace it when their license ran out or something.
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    Don't forget the handful of Exxon sets too :)
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If I'm not mistaken Esso was the first gasoline/petrol brand used by Lego.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    I've still got #6397, it was one of my favourite sets as a kid.
  • LEGO_NabiiLEGO_Nabii Member Posts: 34
    Just while you're talking about it, the Octan logo was designed by Senior LEGO Designer Torben Skov. He just celebrated his 25th year with The LEGO Group. It was the very first idea sketched, they tried many other logo's for the new 'LEGO fuel company' but none of them were as good.