Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any suggestions for Kithaba's staff for 9496?

y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
edited August 2012 in Everything else LEGO
So... TLG inexplicably furnished Kithaba with a blaster in the new Desert Skiff set, which is, of course, wildly inaccurate, and I was wondering if anyone had given him a proper staff or could suggest any ideas on constructing one. I'm using one of the old muskets as a stand-in, but that's just not sitting well with me.

Suggestions?

Comments

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited August 2012
    As a point of reference, for those that may not know what I'm talking about, the bottom of his staff looks like this:

In the original Desert Skiff (7104), they just used a spear, which is preferable to a blaster, but I'm still looking for something a lot more accurate.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    How about a flagpole, a 1x2 slope and a 1x2?
    Maybe I'm not thinking of the right 1x2 slope, but how would it attach?
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Perhaps a Flagpole, a 1x1 or 1x2 with hooks, and a 1x1 or 1x2 cheese slope on that? A 1x2 might be too large, but a 1x1 hook and slope would look ok.
    Or just a straight dowel instead of a flagpole.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    You have to love Star Wars... A world of hyperdrives, light sabers, and moon sized battlestations, and what does a crime lord's guard carry? Advanced weapons? Super blasters?

No...

A long stick. :)
    Hey. If not for that long stick, Lando and Luke may well have been killed.
    y2josh said:

Hey. If not for that long stick, Lando and Luke may well have been killed.

Yes, because the whole "allow yourself to be captured" thing was such a great idea.

Rather than send in R2-D2 with the lightsaber hidden, then the pointless fight with the rancor, then the trip to the dune sea, why not just kick the front door in with the lightsaber in your hand, kill all the bad guys, and leave with Han?

Then there is the whole, "we had to do this on our own, not a single guy from the entire rebellion would come to help free the guy who helped destroy the first death star".

You know, the same people with access to capital ships, fighters, soldiers, etc. nope, sorry Han and Luke, you guys arson your own.
    Well, the idea was that Luke was going to go in and peacefully resolve things, but that plan pretty much goes out the window when he can't sway Jabba's resolve and gets dropped in the rancor pit. So it's off to plan B, which was already in basically in place. It's like Nate explained on Leverage. He has plan A... but he also has plans B through Z.

Regardless (and back on topic), Kithaba's staff is a key part of the battle on the skiff and it's a travesty that it wasn't included here. Additionally, how long before I get, at the very least, the other four guards from the prisoner skiff?
    y2josh said:

Well, the idea was that Luke was going to go in and peacefully resolve things, but that plan pretty much goes out the window when he can't sway Jabba's resolve and gets dropped in the rancor pit.

You must be kidding... Or Luke is nuts, one of the two.

Expecting Jabba to give in to Luke is like expecting Iran to give up their nuclear program simply because we say so (or else).

Crime lords (and thugs of all stripes) only respect force and violence, everything else they see as weakness. Brandishing a gun is pointless, you have to actually shoot at them to really get their attention.

Peace requires two things:

1. That both sides want it, it takes two to make peace, only one to make war.

2. That both sides are rational actors. What seems logical and sensible to you and I is not always how everyone sees the world, and some people are simply irrational and cannot be counted on to make sensible decisions.
    edit: but yes, I'm putting too much thought into it, like my wife keeps telling me. :)
    I'm not saying he thought he could reason with Jabba. I'm saying he thought he could make Jabba surrender his prisoners peacefully by manipulating his mind using The Force.
    Perhaps... but the Jedi mind trick only works on the weak minded, and Jabba didn't get to be a crime lord by being weak minded... :)
    Certainly Luke wanted to follow the Jedi way, and use diplomacy and kindness instead of just blasting Jabba from orbit and picking up the pieces later(the Empire way lol). Unfortunately he had to go to "aggressive negotiations".
    :) Yes, and that Jedi way is why the Jedi fell in the first place.

Peace, rainbows, and unicorns are nice and all, but they are not useful against evil.
    y2josh said:

Maybe I'm not thinking of the right 1x2 slope, but how would it attach?

I mean this one:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3040
    Even better, if you could somehow attach this

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=44845

to a pole - it would be almost perfect.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    Helpfully, his weapon already looks like it has studs. Maybe part of the moulding process!

How about a bar 6L with stop, and then a 1x2 plate with two clips on side, and one of the new "upside down" inverted tiles below it. All you need to do is find all of these in reddish brown... Maybe dark bley would look ok, or a boat stud?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^ @TyoSolo found the perfect piece for the hilt, now to build the rest of it and still have it small enough.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 736
    image I put this together with more ready available parts.
    I actually like that a lot. What are you using in the bottom of the hilt? Just a 2-stud long bar?
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 736
    Glad you like it. yeah its a long bar and it kept the staff in proportion with Kithaba.