Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Printing on minifig necks

paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,959
edited August 2012 in Everything else LEGO
I was idly wondering why most of my minifigs have either white or black printing on the front of their necks. Some creative googling suggests that it could be so the printing and assembly machines can identify the front - but none of my collectable minifigs has printed necks, including the Team GB ones, so is that actually correct?

Whatever the reason, from a practical point of view, the printing can be used to gauge how much a minifig has been played with. The neck printing on some of my oldest minifigs is showing obvious signs of wear.

...but is there anything else that can be deduced from the presence or absense of neck printing? Can it be used to work out whether or not it was made in China, for instance?

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,871
    Yes, the lack of printing does imply it is made in china (there is also a stamp on the inner arm). This tends to be for CMFs magnet figures, battle packs and chess sets (any non-set based figs I think).

As for the reason for the printing, I had heard it was so the arms are put on the correct way round, but as you've pointed out, this doesn't make sense with the CMFs etc not having it
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,215
    It may just be that the assembly in China is done so that the torso is printed then the arms are attached straight away.

Or maybe they can use the printed front as a guide to which way around the torso is, rather than the neck. Most CMFs have only single sided torso printing. I know the Gorilla Man has back printing, but it is just a zip. Pyjama boy does too. Probably some others do too, I can't think off the top of my head.