Product Collections vs. Virtual Product Collections

retrieverfalconretrieverfalcon Member Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in The Database
Can someone explain to me the distinction between the "Product Collection" subtheme (http://www.brickset.com/search/?subtheme=Product%20Collection) and the "Virtual Product Collection" subtheme (brickset.com/search/?subtheme=Virtual%20Product%20Collection)? The later seems to have made a new appearance in 2012. They both seem to be collections of other sets but only one of the two (I'm not sure which one since I actually have two entries in each category) is being included in the My Sets count while the other is not.

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Product collections have unique packaging wheras virtual product collections are just bundles of sets sold together with no unique packaging.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    edited August 2012
    Correct, and usually we remove virtual product collections once they've sold out from shop.LEGO.com because as their name suggests they do not exist other than as a SKU in LEGO's systems. That's why there are none older than this year's.
  • retrieverfalconretrieverfalcon Member Posts: 7
    Thank you. That explains that. Upon looking at the subthemes again following your comments I see why I was confused. The only ones in "Product Collections" I currently have logged in are 4659018 and 6018031. These two also happen to be the only items in "Product Collections" which are currently available at shop.LEGO.com. They also appear to both be mis-filed based on your descriptions. Neither has unique packaging and, to my knowledge, they have never been sold as a complete set. I actually have some of the more traditional multi-packs in my collection that I will need to add later and they, at a minimum, have some spare cardboard and plastic wrapping.

Given the chance that Virtual Product Collections will be removed, would I be correct in saying best practice is to use them strictly for the Want List and not for my own collection (since the cost info and other material would disappear over time)?

On a related note, 4659018 has a mistake - Kit 1 (20200) is actually not part of this collection and was (and still is) sold separately from Kits 2-6.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    Good call -- you are right. I have changed them and removed 20200 from kit 1.

Thanks
  • retrieverfalconretrieverfalcon Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. Now to adjust my own entries so I'm not using those Virtual Product Collections in my own listings and then to get back to my massive check-in task. BTW, people don't say often enough how much we appreciate all the hard work you do in maintaining this database. Saves me tons of time...