Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Savage_Steel : Famous in the Telegraph Online

andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
edited August 2012 in Everything else LEGO
Congrats to our very own @Savage_Steel! Her minifigs are now in a gallery currently available in the Telegraph Online:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/picturegalleries/9464974/London-2012-Olympics-LEGO-minifigs-of-Team-GB-gold-medal-winners.html

Yay, et cetera!!

Comments

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    And TV tonight :-)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,380
    Fantastic - well done
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,374
    Nice one, Sav !

Hopefully someone can grab a clip of the TV appearance and post it...

Those custom Olympic minifigs are awesome, though, and thanks to Team GB for obligingly winning sufficient golds to allow Sav to show off her skills !
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,827
    well done Sav!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,538
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
    Brilliant! Well done Caz.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Great stuff, well done Caz and Nick!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,374
    Genius !
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Thanks guys! Today has been crazy! So much fun though. Thrilled with the Telegraph, though had 2 great photographers come by who were trying to sell the pics via the press agency - I guess Telegraph beat em by getting free ones direct from me. Shame as their pics were so much better! Been at it all day and some orders to finish off before bed!

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    This is fantastic, well done.

So are we going to see an influx of Telegraph readers here? I wonder what their posting style will be like...
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,540
    Well done Caroline and Nick! I really hope all the publicity helps make custom minifigs your day job :-)
    I'll deffo be placing another order soon :-)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Ahhhhh so great! Thanks for posting video Huw and GO TEAM SAVAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    wow, great effort! well done.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,809
    These are awesome. Your becoming all famous :-D.
    And all powerful. And with power comes great responsibility.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    edited August 2012
    Congrats on the fame and minifigs! :D
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Great work Savage_Steel!
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,872
    So that's what she looks like. :D
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 2,014
    Don't she speak posh! :-))
    ^ I thought I sounded surprisingly posh too! My mum will be proud. Sheffield born and raised, yet I there was no Yorkshire in there.

Thanks for all the kind words peeps. It's been a fun ride :)

And just to round it off, here's the BBC's effort (they were with us for hours playing around with the figs as we sorted out the photographers) Bit of a shame the photographers didn't get to sell their pics - they took some great ones. Hoping one of the guys will share them with us even if they didn't get picked up.

22.35min in on iplayer. LOADS of roller s http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ln2d9/Look_North_(Yorkshire)_09_08_2012/
    edited August 2012
    Sav youre now properly famous - one of my non-AFOL schoolfriends (who doesnt know Im an AFOL) has changed their facebook profile picture to your bradley wiggins :-) ... when I pointed out that I know you they were well impressed. Do you do autographs? :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2012
    You can tell the BBC crew had a fun time from their video. Was it your idea to do their own cutom minifigs for them? If so it was an inspired way to push their enthusiasm and encourage them to give you the most possible coverage!

Some great footage I hope it gives a massive push to your business. You'll have to have one of these on your website now!

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Awesome! So glad I could see this one too.
    @si - that's actually the coolest thing I've heard! I LOVE it when it reaches someone unconnected to me :)

Thanks so much for all the support everyone!

ITV came first and we thought we'd make them one quickly, then of course BBC needed their own, but they totally ran with it. I had no idea what they were up to with the stop motion, they did it all on my mantlepiece! Ian was looking through my old 1980's lego catalogues and getting very excited about the stuff he used to have. Where as the ITV camera man was an AFOL so he needed his own minifig
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    My brother-in-law came round today and asked if I'd seen the Olympic minifigs on the news. Of course, I told him I was one of the lucky ones that saw them before they were famous.

Well done, I'm very impressed. Noticed too that you managed to get a silent plug or too in for the roller derby team on the BBC!
    ^thanks! - quite pleased with that too, roller derby is what started it all after all :)
    Right, best actually get on with making some now!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,809
    @Flumps of course what you didnt see in the background were Nick and Caroline laughing manically and commanding their lego forces to destroy all who oppose them.
    You're right Redbull, my science powers are going to be used to animate our lego army of elite athletes *manical laugh*
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @Savage_Steel Congrats!! I am gonna have to ask for an autograph :)
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,827
    The Jade Jones looks great! Excellent use of the boxer head guard.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Congrats @Savage_Steel, a good job well done, keep it up dear!
    Thanks dudes! Desperately in need of blue boxers now to make Jade Jones for her and the Luke Campbell for today. I only had one! And Nicola Adams has had to give up her helmet!!!
  • goosebogeygoosebogey Member Posts: 35
    You also got mentioned in The Times today! I can't link as the site is behind a paywall, but it was in the daily Olympics roundup thing, written by Jack Malvern. I'll try and get it scanned and post it here.
    think i have a spare boxer or 2.
    Oooo - the Times! awesome! We're also in the Mail Online and the Huffington post! And Si - thank you!! let me know how much. Still getting orders for Jade Jones in - hers blew up on twitter and she has some loyal north wales fans!
    edited August 2012
    you need to start an online scrapbook for all your clippings :)
    do u need them urgently?
    reply by msg if u like
    edited August 2012
    ^that's not a bad idea. My fave bit so far was seeing Greg Rutherford's twitter page

Have PMed you - thanks mate
    Oh and Andy's facebook page
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,203
    This guy who is coming soon .... he was the merchant, the trader, the business man. With all this exposure ... is he really the tax man?

^ :-O !!! But you're right we do need to sort out things officially.

But also:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/picturegalleries/9449173/London-2012-Olympics-a-huge-Lego-model-of-the-Olympic-Park.html?frame=2298118

YAY! I know Warren's had loads of media coverage of his Lego Olympic park, but this really shows it off nicely!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,203
    ^ Yeah, the above was a bit of a joke, but you do need to be careful if selling. I have a mate whose company (built from a hobby) appeared in a few glossy sunday newspaper magazines, and Country Living, Scottish Field, etc. Tax man was all over him within six months. Luckily everything was above board, but he found it an incredible amount of work to get his finances in order to show them. He now uses an accountant ...
    yep - I'm not the most careful record keeper that's for sure. but all incoming payments are through paypal, outgoing are all over the place though. Cheers for the concern. it's on my mind, just not had 2 minutes to think lately! #stillgotadayjob
    Warren's stadium and orbit look great, but the velodrome roof doesnt look right - maybe could have used hinged panels? would have been a faff though - one of those shapes that you cant really do very well in lego i guess.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    As was mentioned on your facebook page, you should definitely do a games maker.
    @Savage_Steel I knew it. I thought you were going to kidnap the atheletes and replace them with your lego counter parts and slowly turn the world into lego men and woman.

Would love to see a games maker. Be very cool as well if at the next show you can get them into the full size stadium which was built.
    thanks dudes. Games maker is on the list - do not fret! Fast running out of purple torsos! got no purple arms!
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ I'd be in the market for a Games Maker if you feel like doing a spare :-)
    Matthew said:

^ I'd be in the market for a Games Maker if you feel like doing a spare :-)

I thought you were saving up for the items I'd put aside for you a month ago?! ;-)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Nah, I bought them?
    edited August 2012
    ^ I'm not sure you did. Still a big £300+ pile of HEs and Kingdoms downstairs with your name on.

Apologies @Sav. Taken PM.