Should Brickset remove set Barcode Numbers?

thebearcollectorthebearcollector Banned Posts: 30
edited August 2012 in Brickset.com
So far I read three maybe five articles about barcode scams involving lego products Im not saying brickset is bad for putting the barcodes up but two of the recent barcode scams started since brickset started putting them up. Im also not sayig brickset is the cause for this but maybe it would help prevent future barcode problems

Comments

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    huh?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    So what @thebearcollector is trying to say is that in the recent months there have been cases where individuals printed/removed barcodes from cheap products and stuck them on top of expensive set.

Since Brickset has images of barcodes for a lot of sets, he is suggesting that Brickset remove those barcode images so that the thieves will have a hard time finding barcodes for LEGO products.

Hope you understand what I just typed out.
    edited August 2012
    It's pretty easy to make barcodes. All you need is the numbers at the bottom of the barcode. I don't think Brickset is helping anyone do this.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    Agreed. If you have a printer and the internet, you can print barcodes. Several free applications let you do it.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    a person who will run this scam has the technological skill to drive to the store, take a picture of the various barcodes, and then drive home and complete their scam.

I really do not see Brickset's inclusion of barcodes as an issue, here. Though a few cases of criminal action have occurred, the barcode information does not exist solely on this website, and in the fact that the information can be replicated should not be a reason to pull the barcodes from this site.

The barcodes shared here exist to simplify the lives of honest shoppers. Just this morning I used barcode information at a TRU and Target to find out when the SW planet set with Lobot would next arrive in my area. The store worker enjoyed the fact I had the information available. I now know that the product arrives at the store tonight, and will be on the shelf in the morning.

When someone breaks the law due to information availability, we shouldn't remove the information from those using it for positive and legal results, we should (as this community has done) work to help authorities locate the criminals at work who are abusing the availability of the information.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,335
    Is this a wind-up ?
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    People have been doing the bar code scam for decades. This is nothing new...
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    And the store doesn't notice the barcode their scanning is a sticker? I was also wondering why the barcode info is displayed on Brickset, but @krklint answered that for me :)
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    StuBoy said:

And the store doesn't notice the barcode their scanning is a sticker?

"they're" not "their": http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    You have to ask is it worth a criminal record and potential prison to steal toys!! The sad thing is, is that I bet it's people doing this to re-sell, which makes it even worse.
    If I was a toy store manager, I would ensure all staff are trained up on how to spot all these scams. All till staff would need to do is run their finger over the barcode area and make sure it hasn't been tampered with.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,796
    richo said:

You have to ask is it worth a criminal record and potential prison to steal toys!! The sad thing is, is that I bet it's people doing this to re-sell, which makes it even worse.

Thomas Langenbach thought so.
    I doubt that's because it is toys. It's because Lego is so popular right now. Makes for easy resales.