Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to buy a box of series minifigs?

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited May 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
I plan to do this for s5 and wondered what's the best way to do it?

Comments

• NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 215
    I ordered 60 Series 4 online at Toys R Us. They just dumped a Series 4 box into a packing box and sent them to me.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    but its not guaranteed, right? they could just dump a half opened box in there with a bunch of loose ones ... ?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Or 60 loose ones from different boxes...
    I just went into John Lewis, pointed out the minifigures and asked for a sealed box, I actually bought 61, so I didn't have to open it there for scanning!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    "Best" needs some qualification, but if you're not aware of any local retail stores that will sell you an unopened box, I've seen eBay and bricklink sellers sell unopened boxes for little to no markup.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Thanks, of course, good old ebay.
    Best = I prefer online as I can do it at a time that suits me.
    What would you describe as 'little or no markup'?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited May 2011
    I saw a box of S4 go on ebay for £97
    At £2 each it would have cost £120, which is what I paid for mine :-(
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited May 2011
    Si, here's where I bought my factory sealed S2 and S4 boxes from: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Jungle-Juice

As I mentioned elsewhere, after shipping, S2 averaged out at £1.67 per CM, S4 was £1.97.

Shipping is entirely reasonable from Germany and I swear this guy delivers quicker than most UK sellers I've bought from. He had S2 before most other people, but S4 he had quite late, S5 who knows?

Just passing on a personal recommendation, I've no affiliation with this seller.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,479
    Just be sure if you get a box, you get a sealed box (although TRU.com pretty much would dump a whole box into a shipping box if you order 60, or sometimes they send the actually fig box as well.. it depends, but when I bought series two I ordered 60 and got a 'box' into a shipping box)
    I lucked out and got a good deal on a series 4 box off of a top rated seller on eBay who guaranteed the box be factory sealed.. and it was.
    Series 3 I bought a sealed box from a TRU store when I happened to find 5 sitting there, on a Saturday no less.. Series 2 I got from TRU.com when they were still 1.99 a pack and free shipping.
    So either TRU or eBay.. again sometimes you can luck out and find them on eBay for cheaper than retail and no tax (unless the seller is a business in your state.. and they are collecting)

• paul88paul88 Member Posts: 166
    Do NOT order from TRU and expect a box. A few people have gotten a box this way, but most just get loose figures. This is what happened to me for series 4. I suggest buying from a top seller on ebay and making sure that the box is being sold as "factory sealed". This is my plan for series 5 as well. There is no other sure fire way because even if you find a sealed one at a TRU or wm, there is no guarantee that they will sell you the entire box.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    @paul88 I agree. I ordered 60 after hearing from here that many people got a full box that way. I got 60 random packets. In some ways it was good though, I got 2 more mad scientists, 1 more viking and 1 more hazmat, but got 2 less musketeers. The rest I didn't care what the distribution was.
    Yeah, I got an extra hazmat guy, but only 1 skater, 1 kimono girl, and 1 hockey player. Then, a TON of punk rockers, werewolves and frankensteins. Luckily though, I DID get at least 1 of each, but I'd never order 60 from TRU again. And, if you want to return the extras, you only get credit if you go to the store. Sure, you can spend money to ship them back and get an actual refund, but it's kind of lame that they have that type of policy.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yeah well what I decided to do is go to walmart and target and get extras of what I need. I like to army build some of the figs. So I've stocked up on musketeers, vikings, and a couple hazmats from walmart and target, and I'm just gonna use my receipt to return all the unwanted extras from my initial purchase from TRU. I tried to sell them on ebay and trade them to friends, but it wasn't working out. Even the ones that did sell on ebay, (usually for at costs) I would still lose money on tax, and ebay/paypal fees.
    Yeah, I forgot, I only got one viking, too :( Anyway, yes, I'd say you are further ahead to return them vs. hassling with re-selling on ebay.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I go online and buy an unopened case from sites that sell them so I can be certain how many of each figure I'm getting. I dump the extras of the ones I don't want to the side for resale later and keep those that I want.
  • RedBrickMarketRedBrickMarket Member Posts: 28
    Si, here's where I bought my factory sealed S2 and S4 boxes from: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Jungle-Juice
    Just thought I'd let you and others know that the distributors like Jungle-Juice claim that they have been notified that they prices will be going up for resellers so the deal will be a little less attractive next time. I do believe "bricks4you.com" and "bricks germany" were the best two prices for S4. Just sayin... that's what I'd go for. If you are looking for buying a lot, ABC BELGIUM has 10% off over 1,000 Euros so it comes down to an amazing price.
  • acedogg77acedogg77 Member Posts: 110
    With series 4, my misses just picked a box up in tescos took it to the till and paid.
    She realized her mistake shortly after, the checkout girl didn't open the box she just trustingly asked "how many was in it?", to which she replied 60.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    TRU shipped me a box of S2
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 455
    I bought a complete box of Series 2 from Argos when they had the 3 for 2 offer on last August.so got a box for £80, a brilliant deal. They look at you a bit strange but will sell you a box

I have bought S3 and S4 from bricklink sellers. It is better to buy several boxes to spread the cost of postage, I have also dealt with bricklink sellers that have been mentioned in this thread.

You should have no problem buying a sealed box from Tesco, Argos, TRU or you local toy ship if they stock them. They may look at you a little strange but will sell you a box.

@Si_dorking_surrey

Are you after a box to guarantee getting a complete set, sealed boxes generally give you 3 complete sets. Well S1 and S2 did, S3 and S4 had distributions per box that only gave you 2 sets per box in the early boxes but this was corrected in later shipments.

message me if you are after a complete set, I have sealed sets of S1 to S4 and will more than likely be getting S5.