Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Winter Village set: 10229 Cottage

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Oh the agony, you just reminded me about how painful it was to not buy any that day. Forgot about that additional 10% off on top of the big discount to begin with. :ouch:
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @Pitfall69 The WV Toy Shop belonged to our daughter and when she moved to a smaller apt we were the lucky recipient. We are willing to take offers on it, preferably trades (old pirate ships, or boxed vintage items - no Star Wars). It was assembled and displayed only one holiday season, adult owned, from a smoke free home, 100% complete. PM me with your offer.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    Missed all of that. I wasn't thinking resale value back then. I was thinking what I wanted for my collection and the EN didn't fit in with my mostly diesel/electric trains and I just plain "missed the boat " on IF. I'm still feeling that one...ouch.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yea, I wasn't as big into then either, but thankfully I had already built EN for personal use, when I saw it for that price, my wife and I looked at each other and said "that is crazy, that has to be worth more than that", and we agreed to buy all the copies the store had, was 14 or 17 I think, don't quite recall which. Then I started reading up on Lego, found this web site, started getting more copies after that. Paid more for most of them, but all were under $100, so did just fine. I have 30 of them left, just waiting for this Christmas. ;)

BTW, if you really want a IF, I hear there is a web site called Bricklink, they have people who sell Lego sets, I kid you not!!! For real! :) For the low, low price of only $300 they will sell you a brand new in box copy of the set!!! :)
    ^You, my friend, are funny ;) I'm supposed to be the sarcastic one
    What I really meant was that I missed out on the IF on sale and had so much stuff going on I missed it completely.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Too bad I was at the airport on the day of the sale. :( Hoping for better luck this year. And with a LEGO store near me, hopefully won't have a hard time getting some deals.
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    Well the Winter Village Post Office was on sale January/February for €32 and on the AFOL day it was another 15% off, I bought 4!
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    I can't remember, when did the WV sets become available on [email protected] last year? I keep hearing about a double points promo in October, that's when I'd like to pick up the Post Office and the Cottage.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,568
    ^ I think the post office went on sale 1st October. I certainly bought it at Steam, which is the first weekend in October, and it had only just come out.

I really like the cottage. It's a shame about the price increase but it's still going on my "to buy" list.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Just a quick reminder to keep on topic please guys, this discussion is about the Winter Village Cottage, not the availability of other sets. Thanks :-)
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    I personally like the look of this, color and all. I'll try to wait for a decent sale on it though.

BTW, if you really want a IF, I hear there is a web site called Bricklink, they have people who sell Lego sets, I kid you not!!! For real! :) For the low, low price of only $300 they will sell you a brand new in box copy of the set!!! :)

My crystal ball shows he'll have one by this Tuesday ;-)
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Matthew said:

Just a quick reminder to keep on topic please guys, this discussion is about the Winter Village Cottage, not the availability of other sets. Thanks :-)

Thank you Matthew!

I do like this new set. Personally I feel it is overpriced, but I will probably still get it. Maybe once I see it in person I will change my feelings about the price point, but it does seem that a lot of newer sets are pushing the threshold on their retail prices.

I think I'll have to do a reality check on my future buying habits...

• thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2012
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    A bit disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised if TLG deleted the video like the Haunted House.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I'm still very disappointed with this set, but I really appreciate that this video does a nice job of showing that this set actually is a lot larger than the previous sets, because the pictures certainly don't do a good job of demonstrating that point at all.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I'm pleased with how this set looks, and believe the price is fine for what it includes and the piece count (conspiracy theorists may now predict when the price gets "corrected" to US$119.99). I like the inclusion of the dark green and medium blue, although I wish they released a dark green 1x1 tile. The dark green window and door frames are nice additions.
    Even more excited with the release of the designer video (here, in case anyone hasn't seen the front page news). I just love all the details, definitely worth the price bump IMO. I also couldn't help notice how much the designer seemed to appeal to AFOL viewers; talking about new elements, handy parts, variety in colours etc. I had been wondering from the pictures if the brick-work along the bottom of the cottage was formed from a new piece, it looks great.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Having watched the video, I'm almost certain I wont be getting this until its on a decent sale. Seems really odd that they've bumped the price up to £90. What was Post Office - £55? That's a massive increase and to me it doesn't seem like its particularly deserved.

If the cottage is that much bigger its going to look out of place next to the post office/bakery/toy shop. All of which imo look better and have better accessories (in particular the ice rink and band stand).

If they want the inside to be such an important part then why is the ceiling such a horrible mess. The minifigs are just boring, no carol singers, no band. Woopedy doo a chainsaw (any better than the one from the advent calendar?)

This, or two of toy shops? Not a tough decision.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lego-10199-Winter-Toy-Shop/dp/B002ACUC0O/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1343984907&sr=1-2

If the cottage is that much bigger its going to look out of place next to the post office/bakery/toy shop.

I don't think it looks disproportionately big, though it remains to be seen when they're all lined up. Having thought about it, the closest toy shop, bakery, and post office to me are smaller than your average house too.

That is a cracking price for 10199 though, I'm not much of a reseller but that is tempting...

Also, I forgot to embed the video link for anyone that hadn't visited the front page:
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,244
    Man! I wasn't so keen on the look of the house from the outside (not even counting the thick snow, I actually think that's okay, put the cottage on a hill and a makes sense! LOL) but from the inside, it looks SO good! Lots of detail and great goodies...

I think I might stop buying LEGO now to save up for it! Sigh... oh my wallet...
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    After watching the video..... I'll certainly get it, but I still think it is $20 to $30 overpriced. For $100 the inside ceiling should at least looked finished.... the way it is would be fine for something you weren't supposed to see the inside of, but for a set where the interior is a main feature, they could have done better... that is my main gripe with this set. Otherwise it is a beautiful set. :o)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    After watching the video, I no longer think it is over priced, for what you get, for the new parts, for the detail, I see where they can up with the price.

In fairness, for over 1,400 parts, they did just fine... I will be getting this one.
    Me too ;)
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 296
    My opinion has changed as well seeing the set in person and the color scheme isn't as bad as I thought. There is a cool sticker on the wall inside with what looks like a moose. I'll probably wait to get it during black Friday or a similar discount. Still to many figures in my opinion.
    This is now appearing on [email protected] for me. Available October 1st, €94.99. None of the other WV sets are back in the store yet.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    Any chance that this might come out a day or two early? I would love to use my 10% off coupon on it if at all possible, but the coupon expires on 9/30.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    edited September 2012
    @hoyatables - Just a heads up that TLG are planning on releasing the Winter Cottage to VIP members a week early (in the UK at least). ie. next Monday (24th September).

Wishes do come true! :o)
    No, still not excited by this one. Shame as I love the toyshop, bakery and post office.
    edited September 2012
    ^ Me neither, but you know we both have to have it! :o)

A bit of a con though. If you're a VIP member you can have it early, but if you do you'll miss out on the double points in October.
    To be honest TLG have pissed me off with this one, it may be good value for the piece count but why does it need such a high piece count. Seems lazy to me. The other three have been 100% definate buys and I was really excited to find out what this years would be. Oh well.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,977
    Those lights on the roof, the 1x1 tiles in the floor, the details in the furniture, that log pile. All nice details, but increases in the piece count and thus in the price.
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    I like it but I'm going to hold off for a sale or discount next year some time.

Meanwhile, I'm going to make plans for a cabin in the woods to go with the woodshed and chainsaw in this one...
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    Just in case anyone missed it last time around, Lego is releasing this again

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Village-Post-Office-10222

• The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    I was thinking about this today, because I got a postcard from LEGO telling me about x2 points for October.

10% off coupon or double points. What would you rather have?

10% off is just that 10% off you pay less, you payless tax. Instant savings..

Double points is almost like getting 10% off, but you have to buy more to use them along with having at least 100 points to use them. (Not a big deal for most - but something to think about.)

The coupon is usually only good for one item in store. :(

Double points is on everything you buy. :)

LEGO is smart on how they word and date their coupons.
    ^^Odd that the Bakery isn't also turning up.
    But with 10% off you still get the 5% in VIP points as well.
    y2josh said:

^^Odd that the Bakery isn't also turning up.

It is for me. "Coming Soon October 1st" like the Post Office and Cottage.
    ^What region are you? In the US, even if I direct search Winter Village Bakery, nothing comes up.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239

But with 10% off you still get the 5% in VIP points as well.

Oh your right.. I skipped that thought... so yeah, the coupon is your best bet then.

• DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 341
    Unfortunately, though, not everyone gets the 10% coupon. For those of us who live a couple of hours away from the nearest store, and who make it an event to go to the Lego Store, double points is the best we can hope for.
    edited September 2012
    y2josh said:

^What region are you? In the US, even if I direct search Winter Village Bakery, nothing comes up.

I'm in Ireland. It's appearing for me on the Seasonal products page.

• GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    For people who are VIP members you will be able to pick up the WVC on Monday October the 24th. ! at a Lego store in Europe.....
    Not sure about the US but post if you find out!?
    Thanks much. It's showing up in seasonal, but not when I search for it, oddly enough.
    Grogall said:

For people who are VIP members you will be able to pick up the WVC on Monday October the 24th.

Well that is something I did not know! :-)
  • USMCYodzUSMCYodz Member Posts: 93

Just in case anyone missed it last time around, Lego is releasing this again

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Village-Post-Office-10222

I think this is because they had a bunch of them left over. They have them on sale at the Lego "Outlet" Store in VA for under $50 a few months ago
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ not really, this is the standard plan with winter sets. they re-release them Oct. 1 each year. We would expect this to be the final year of the Bakery, much like last year was the final year of the toy shop
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    ^ Yep.

And glad to hear that VIPs get a week head start in the UK. Anyone hear of a similar advantage here in the States?
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,430
    edited September 2012
    If the cottage isn't release early in the states, I may just pick up a spare Fire Brigade with my 10% off coupon. I'll use it for parts for some custom modulars. Then I'll just buy the cottage on Oct 1.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 879
    I see the 10229 is listed today on [email protected] in the UK for £89.99. Has it reached any of the Lego stores in the UK yet?