What does the number in the red square next to my name mean?

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited May 2011 in Forum Operation
What does the number in the red square next to my name mean?

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    You've been referred to. Click on your name and then notifications. You'll see your history and where you were mentioned.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    The number is for the instances of notifications (of which name mentions via @username is one of them). You can view and customize all notification events under "My Preferences" in the left hand navigation when you're at your profile page.

To view all notifications, click on your name (profile), and choose the notifications tab, which will remain with a red boxed number until you visit it. Each notification has a link that allows you to visit the event, i.e. the post where someone mentioned you by name (@username)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Thanks, that makes sense...
    Not sure it's working right though - yesterday it was on 2 hundred and something, today it's on 335 ... and when I look at the notifications tab, there are only 20 or 30 max, and Ive only had 10 or so emails in that time.
    Is that possible?? I'm sure @rocao will be able to set you straight.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    It also counts replies to bookmarked topics and topics you have started.
    OK I think it's me being a numpty - I must have had more notifications than I remember as it seems to work fine now I've viewed it and 'reset' the figure.

One minor thing that confused me a bit though - It only shows the first page of notifications, and once youve viewed that page of 20 or so, it marks the whole 300 odd as read.
    Oops, I was wrong about what I wrote earlier. The customization under "My Preferences" is for email notifications and not activity notifications. It seems that activity notifications can't be customized, but as everyone here has pieced together, the events that trigger them are:

1) being mentioned in a comment via @username
    2) receiving a private message
    3) when someone comments on a discussion you started
    4) when someone comments on a discussion you bookmarked

It is limited in that it only keeps the 50 most recent notifications. I'm not sure if self-hosting it would allow this to include more/all. I could see benefit in the ability to search also. And you're correct: visiting the tab will reset the number, regardless of whether or not you've actually seen and clicked through each one. I actually prefer this, though, since I'm OCD about getting rid of the red indicator.

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ I haven't found the notifications to be that useful to be honest, I prefer just to see what new posts have been added to discussions on the front page. I'm like rocao though, I visit it occasionally juts to get rid of the count.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I click into topics that don't interest me in the least just to remove the yellow flag :o)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ yes, me too, must....keep...things...tidy...
    ^ & ^^ & ^^^ Me too. Personally, I'd rather the red square wasn't there - it would be great if we had the option to disable it? ??
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I also wish the red square was gone, especially since nothing I do seems to make it go away...
    ^ To reset it so that it goes away, go to http://www.bricksetforum.com/profile (which is also accessible by clicking your username), and then click from the default "Activity" tab to the "Notifications" tab, which should have the same number in a light blue colored box.
    edited May 2011
    ^ "To view all notifications, click on your name (profile), and choose the notifications tab, which will remain with a red boxed number until you visit it."

(we just posted this at almost the same time - you beat me by about a second :) )
    Yellowcastle calls me the fastest trigger in the west ;)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    But he cuddles so no complaints
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    Thanks guys, that red square was really bothering me! At least now I know how to make it go away :)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Hopefully sometime in the future we can get a feature to wipe out all the yellow flags without having to actually follow each individual link. In other words, read what you want then click a button to clear any remaining yellow flags.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    ^ There was once a button to do precisely this. Unfortunately it never worked ! Huw has been following up with the Vanilla folks, but no resolution yet.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    ^ I emailed them Friday but no response as yet...