Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How Much Time Spent 'Fixing' Your LEGO

mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
edited May 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I wonder if there are any other parents out there whose collections are 'on loan' to their children? My son is 7 and is lucky enough to have a Dad who enjoys collecting and building Lego sets. Of course, his friends love to come over and play Lego...unfortunately, they must not come from homes with an AFOL and haven't been taught yet how not to destroy the kits. Consequently, every other night I'm busily repairing a set here and there...finding pieces in the couches, under the furniture, etc...hoping to catch any stragglers before my wife (who doesn't love the Lego as much as the boys do) vacuums them up. All part of the fun, all part of the Lego OCD.

Comments

• fascistfigfascistfig Member Posts: 15
    My 6 y/o has all of my old castle sets, along with newer SW stuff. It is a task keeping the sets together after he removes the tech from the SW sets and adds them to the old castle walls. At the moment I am having the best luck by using large zip-lock bags in the drawers on the Lego desk.. the roll-top desk.. which usually closes with any young company!
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm always joking with my girlfriend saying when we have kids I'm gonna have my kids check out my legos and at the end of the day he'll have to return them to me where I'll do a thorough check and make sure it's all in one piece.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,312
    The only solution I found was to have two collections: the kids and mine. By all means loan them parts but keep them away from cherished assembled models!

I am a bit anal when it comes to the cleanliness of my LEGO and hated it when my daughters when they were small played with my parts when they had dirty hands (which is most of the time, as any parent of small kids will tell you...). I made them wash them before letting them near my parts :-)
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    Yep, my kids know it is instant death in our house to even look at my LEGO collection. :-)
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    edited May 2011
    Sorry to double post but I wanted to add...
    I feed them, clothe them, and love them girls, I think dad deserves his own toys!

edited by @atkinsar- 4/5/2011 - mild profanity in the context used
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    I would advising keeping the collections separate and implementing strict rules, especially if your child has friends over to play. A friend of mine (who isn't an AFOL) buys LEGO for his son and all the ships that were built were destroyed by another boy who came over to play. Reconstructing them is difficult (I'm helping out) as pieces are in chunks and scattered (bear in mind that this is a very small collection).
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I don't worry about the dis-assembly - that just goes with the territory. It is the inevitable missing parts risk. But hey that is what BrickLink is for, right!?!
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    Perhaps, but the dis-assembly can result in lost pieces. Trust me, you didn't see these ships, there were bits all over the room!
  • burakki62burakki62 Member Posts: 46
    My niece loves to pay with my Lego... its important that its okay when she breaks them or she'd get upset. I tend to keep the current sets she likes in a box and I fix them when she goes home. Mind you, I have used bricklink to replace some missing parts. The other problem now is that her little brother has just started crawling and wants to join in (or eat) the Lego and gets cross when we dont let him (o:
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Yes, my kids love to help me "sort" which usually involves them taking the neatly organized pieces out of their containers and spreading them all over the whole house or into a neat giant pile on the LEGO table. The worst thing is when I spend hours sorting and clearing the LEGO table and come home the next day to a big pile mucking up the thing. :(

Also, I tried the separate collections, "Daddy's LEGO...your LEGO" but they always want to play with Daddy's "cooler" LEGO. Telling them that they are the same just doesn't work. I even surrendered all my modular buildings to them, but they want nothing to do with it. Weird. 3 girls btw.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,127
    I do not know about you, but I do not spade or neuter my Lego..

No Children here, and I think my nephews, or friend's daughter, would pass out from the sight of all the Lego's in my apartment
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    My sons' only 18 months old and he prefers my Lego over his Duplo. I bought him the Road Construction Set for Easter and last week I bought 3 City sets for him (with his own vouchers) to start his own collection (that he's only allowed to play with under my supervision!), but I think he's going to be more interested in my Star Wars and Castle sets! He knows to sit on the floor when I get the Lego sets down off the shelf, and he did the same thing at the shop when he was choosing his City sets. (He was expecting to open them right then and there!) I think he'll be slowly adding my parts to his collection when he gets a bit older (as long as he doesn't mess with my Star Wars collection!) He already loves the minifigs, he calls them the 'man-man'!
  • daveace21daveace21 Member Posts: 41
    @madforlegos
    LMAO !!! That is hysterical !!! I also do not have to spade or neuter my Lego for the same reason.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    We keep our collection separate as well. I'm very picky about my stuff being organized and clean so my oldest son (who is 4) has his own collection. He's so great about understanding and respecting the boundaries that have been put in place that I make sure he gets a new set or two most every time we go out.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I don't have kids and so don't have this problem. But yes, the collections will most definitely be separate when I do have kids.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,659
    I recall building my motorised At-At 10178 a couple of years back. It was up on display on the side in our dining room. It had only been built a week at most. At about 4.30 one afternoon, I got a call from my wife whilst in the office. She was pretty nervous on the phone and opened by saying something like "It was an accident..don't be cross but...". Well, it turned out my youngest who was 2 at the time had reached up to get it down to switch it on and watch it walk and knocked the thing clean off the side and on to the tiled floor. Basically, it shattered into all of the 1000+ pieces. When I got home my elder son by 2 years came running up to me and said "Sam's been really naughty and broken your Lego.". Having been prepped for it, I calmly explained to them both that it didn't matter if Lego models got broke so long as all the pieces are kept together - Lego's designed to be taken apart. My wife had already collected all but one of the pieces I found under the back door mat, but I didn't bother 'fixing' it - it was start again job!
  • clundsbergclundsberg Member Posts: 44
    I'm in the process of rebuilding all of my dismantled legos (worst idea I *ever had* - taking them apart and "organizing" them by colour) and allowing my son to play with the sets. He likes to bring them from the...er..toy room downstairs. between the couches, cats, and his "alterations" I'll be lucky if nothing gets vaccuumed up.
    But the joy in the playability, right?
    I'm amazed how similar we are in likes (such as Legos) but how dissimilar we are as well (I love my space themes - he's more abou trealistic city themes)
    good times though (deep down he would rather just build his own creations though)