Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Worlds Smallest Customisation on 9496 (Desert Skiff)

monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
edited July 2012 in Building and Techniques
I thought i would share this one, mostly because i can but also to show that customisations don't need to be big and expensive (although they are the fun kind :) ).
The recent Skiff (9496) is arguably the best offering yet from Lego for this vehicle, but for me the only let-down was the rear aspect of the model. So, 3 pieces of Lego, about 45p and somewhere around 45 seconds later we have...

Comments

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,306
    Ooo, so small but so effective! I likes it :D
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Customization refers to cutting, melting, painting or in some way altering an element. What you have done is "modded" or modified the stock model.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    @tedward In reference to changing a model this definition of the word also works:

Customisation, "To make or alter to individual or personal specifications". I am certainly altering the model to my specifications, so the word does mean what I think. I suspect however that the word might take on certain meanings depending on the context it is used or even the industry it is being used.

Language is fun :), but modification would certainly be correct.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Wow, your one looks way better! I can't believe the official model has those corners sticking out like that! Nice 'Mod' :)

...the word might take on certain meanings depending on the context it is used or even the industry it is being used.

Yes. In the LEGO community "customization", is more usually used in the manner I have described. Thus, when I looked at the comparisons of the two pictures it took me a while to figure out what "customization" had been made when I could not see any modified elements. Hehe, see, I cannot avoid using "modified" to describe customization. Lovely little language for sure.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Never mind customisation, whenever I glance past the title of this thread on the Discussions page, I keep thinking it says "Worlds Smallest Circumcision on 9496 (Desert Skiff)".

But that's just me.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Rather inaccurate title since removing or adding a single piece would constitute the "World's smallest" customizatin/modification. I know it's been done before as I've done it. ;-)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited July 2012
    Well done @monkey_roo on your customization!

(And thanks @tedward for your quote from The Princess Bride - inconceivable!! Ah, I love that movie! :-))
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,362
    prof1515 said:

Rather inaccurate title since removing or adding a single piece would constitute the "World's smallest" customizatin/modification. I know it's been done before as I've done it. ;-)

Surely moving one piece by one stud is the smallest modification possible.
    CCC said:

prof1515 said:

Unless you move it onto a jumper plate. ;O)

CCC said:

prof1515 said:

Unless you move it onto a jumper plate. ;O)
    That would be moving it further. 1.5 units along its length, or sqrt(1.25) if sideways.

Oh yeh! :O)
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Surely just rotating a piece, like a 1x1 cylinder, on its stud, just a fraction of a degree, would constitute the smallest modification possible.

(on an on topic note, you do have an excellent, simple modification there)
    ^ That would not be noticeable though, would it?
    CCC said:

I think we need a ruling. I would say replacing a 1x1 round with a 1x1 round of a different colour would have to be the smallest modification possible. ;)

Or a 1x1 plate with the same colour 1x1 round plate.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    CCC said:

^ That would not be noticeable though, would it?

Sure it would. If it were this dude facing a different direction.

So we have a change in angle for Palpatine, I guess a change in the angle of the new horses head, a minute shift of eg. HP's wand or Gandalfs stick, ...
    Seems like there is no limit to the minutae we AFOLs will define!
  • Legofanatic2414Legofanatic2414 Member Posts: 37
    Ah! Very nice customization. I really would love to get the Desert Skiff, but I very low on "LEGO set money" right now. Every time I buy a new set, I need to buy my kid one too! Now, I only have enough for that small Spongebob set hes wanted for quite a while and the Spider-man set I currently want. Its either Spidey or Desert Skiff.
  • DmsmithDmsmith Member Posts: 26
    I picked up a skiff on Sunday. Built it with my son and we plan to change the back like this.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I also wound up changing the back of the skiff, but I used two 3x3 cut corner plates, which gives you a bit less surface sticking out past the edges.