Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Forum performance issues on various browsers

Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
edited July 2012 in Forum Operation
This is a bit of an odd one. The forum is appearing slightly, er, broken for want of a better word. The oddity is that these performance issues seem localised to my laptop. I'm using the most updated Firefox, and I have checked on the latest IE and Chrome as well and the same issues are occuring. But when I'm on my desktop, it's perfect (the issues are confined to the forum, Brickset.com is working fine on my laptop).

Does anybody have any ideas about what might be happening? Honestly starting to think some IT guys at work are trolling me given how much time I spend on here. Here are some screenshots I've taken to illustrate the issues (assuming they show up, having to put in the tags manually because I can only write plain text on this broken version).

Help!

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    To me it just looks like it is failing to load the CSS file, this often happens if either your connection or the server are running slow. Will probably be fine in a few hours.

Clearing your cache may help.
  • ChoochChooch Member Posts: 148
    Your images did not come through, but my first thoughts are to have you delete your browser cookies and temp internet files from within Firefox then close the program, reboot your system and start Firefox again. See if that helps...
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I'm using Safari on an iPad and the Who's Online sidebar is enormous. New feature or snafu?
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
    Thanks for the suggestions all. Feel ultra slow for not thinking of clearing my cache - will try when I'm in work again (actually won't find out until Wednesday, not in tomorrow \o/) It's been ongoing consistently for a few days.
    Still having problems unfortunately. First I deleted the individual cookies for Brickset.com and Bricksetforum.com which didn't work, so I cleared my cache which hasn't had the desired effect either.
    Any other technical types have possible solutions to this? It's ongoing and driving me a bit mad.

Just to recap, the above screenshots show what browsing is like 1) on Firefox, IE, and Chrome, 2) on my laptop only. In trying to rectify this I 1) deleted the invdividual cookies for both brickset.com and bricksetforum.com, 2) cleared my cache, 3) disabled all plug-ins/extensions to see if it was one of those causing the problem, and 4) uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. I'm tapped for ideas about what to try next.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
    The stylesheets are loaded from brickset.com. For a while they were loaded from brickset.net which is a lower grade server and I guess it's possible that your browser is still using a cached version of the header (although that sounds a bit implausable) and thus fetching the one on brickset.net.

A ctrl-F5 should fix it if that is the case. If that doesn't work, view source and let us know what's in the head section (although pasting it here verbatim is unlikely to work)
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    I was having a similar issue as Steve_J_OM with Firefox on my work laptop. Most of the time I connect it to the internet via the network in the office. The problem with the CSS went away after I connected it to the internet on my home network. Maybe the CSS was blocked through my office network.
    edited July 2012
    @Huw, Ctrl+5 didn't work unfortunately. I wasn't sure how much of the source code to copy and paste, but I spotted 'stylesheet' so just went as far as there. Let me know if I should show you any more:

Edit - copying and pasting didn't work, as you said - here is a quick Google doc I whipped up to copy it into:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OkNlXrqMOIDSdg3iXh_Y47HsMt1_KQqR0-1lepWAXe8/edit
    @bluelion3 - you gave me an idea, and I think it led to finding the problem. I disconnected the ethernet cable and connected to the internet via WiFi and now everything is working perfectly. So maybe my network settings in work block the CSS file? Odd that this is the only website it happens to, and that it only started recently.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
    ^ Odd -- the CSS does get served from a different domain to the main page so maybe something thinks stat's suspicious and blocks it, although it sounds highly unusual.
    Very strange alright, but over the last few days I've just logged on via my staff WiFi whenever I need my forum fix - not ideal but I'm getting used to it! Thanks all for the suggestions.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I've had ongoing problems with posting messages on the forum. I type out a message and when I try and post it I get an error message after about 30 seconds. It happens only sporadically and the only way to fix it is to reboot my computer and modem. Weird. Any suggestions?
    ^ Ironically, I was able to post this message though!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but a couple of times in the last few days I've tried to access the forum on my mobile and there's been a message saying that the site is over capacity and the page can't be loaded. I try again a few minutes later and it loads just fine. Just thought I'd mention it.
    ^ That happened to me last night on my home computer.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Here is an issue I've noticed between my work and home computer.
    On my work computer, when viewing the main forum page, not all of the discussions have the favorite/bookmark star, so I can not bookmark new discussions.
    At home everything is fine and all conversations show a star which can be checked and unchecked.
    Seems to be a problem with Windows XP as Firefox works fine.

At work: Windows XP Pro & IE8.0.6001.18702

At Home: Windows Ultimate & IE9
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    For some reason, the forum link from the mainsite now takes me to the "category" view instead of "discussions". It started happening 2 days ago.

I've logged in and out of my Brickset account and reset my forum destination settings, but no luck.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    On the forum, if on the mobile site a and you see a #setno it searches the forum when you click on it.