Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Shipping Internationally

2»

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2013
    @ardalis all direct from Amazon. I should add that I am in Australia so it's international shipping.

Mostly it is just an observation, and also the £11.17 postage is an excellent price for five large sets. I suppose I just wish all sets had similar postage charges, I suspect that this price is more likely to be a mistake or low and the charge for the #79010 is the normal postage charge.

On a few occasions with the other EU sites I have seen an item I wanted at a decent price, but then the postage was so high that it wasn't so good anymore, yet similar sized sets can be half the postage.

Funny thing is that I only pay £48.90 each shipped for the #9396 which is just over £7 less then those in GB will pay as I don't pay VAT. That's assuming you get free postage.
  • ArdalisArdalis Member Posts: 37
    I am in Ireland, I get free postage on orders over £25 from Amazon.co.uk, from other euro ones I pay postage, most recent was a Unimog and Supercar from Amazon.fr which cost me e11.40 in postage for them both together. Come to think of it the order was going to be e11.40 for just the supercar, when I added the unimog the price did not increase, I have no idea tbh why.

I have a friend who works for Amazon and he's currently in the US on business or I would have asked him if he had any idea why the postage changes at random. Ofc he's never around when you need him..his staff discount would be nice to have however :P
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    I haven't managed to put in one single order at amazon.fr, .it or .es yet (even though these offer the best prices) as even the best discounts can't offset the inflated price of shipping.

And I reside in the European Union. Just the '2nd class' part of it.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    A little off-topic,but see the US-amazon prices now in the brickset amazon price comparsion chart makes me really cry!!! So many sets are almost half the price than the average EU-price!!!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    I could have swore that buying 1st class international postage was available online for $6.16.... I don't see that option anymore now that I actually have to buy international postage. What happened?
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Wow i haven't used BL for about 1 1/2yrs as a buyer for oversea transactions (im located in Germany) and i'm shocked about the current postage fees when ordering from the US!!! I've made to pretty small BL orders (about 40-60 pieces) which cost about $12 for the pieces itself and another $11something for shipping!!! That's ridiculous!!! And it won't even make sense to place bigger orders since i would have to pay huge custom-fees! To me as a customer it doesn't makes any sense at all to buy anything from the US no more!
    On the other side when i ship from germany to any other fountry in the world i pay a flat of 3.65€ (about $5) for almost anything up to 500gram(even in a box!!!)!
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I was just offered to opt in to ebay's Global Distribution Program, and I wanted to know if a kindly non-US Bricksetter would be willing to take a look at a few of my listings and let me know exactly how it is different. Please PM me if you have a moment and I'll send you a couple links. Thanks in advance!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ I'd love to hear people's experiences with this program. I'm interested in selling a MISB Taj Mahal this way.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ and ^^ I just sent off my first 2 GSP orders yesterday - I'm anxious to see the results. As far as viewing your own listings, @Brickarmor, you can actually access an ebay site for another locale (for example, www.ebay.co.uk), and then search and find your listing, you can then see how it appears, and view the shipping price details
    ^Ah, good to know. Thanks!
    Ok, so from the UK eBay site, listings that offer the Global Distribution program are subtitled "Customs services and international tracking provided," which is nice. However, on something small like a polybag (what I chose to view) it automatically adds customs charges which--as I understand it--many items under $25 usually avoid. So I don't know. But a couple bucks for international tracking on any item is pretty sweet!
    Feedback I've read on this is it only makes sense at higher weights and/or price points
    ^ Agreed, this is what I've learned as well.
    edited February 2013
    dougts said:

^ and ^^ I just sent off my first 2 GSP orders yesterday - I'm anxious to see the results. As far as viewing your own listings, @Brickarmor, you can actually access an ebay site for another locale (for example, www.ebay.co.uk), and then search and find your listing, you can then see how it appears, and view the shipping price details

so, here is my thoughts thus far. this is all in regards to packages weighing 6 pounds or more

The good:
    - overall shipping is cheaper for the end consumers, which has probably led to some sales I would not otherwise have had.
    -I can send a *much* larger box via this method than I can using USPS only. While not needed for single sets, it does open up the possibility for multi-set listings that were not possible before or for larger quantities of a single set to be shipped together

The bad:
    - for west coast sellers, any decrease in delivery time from Kentucky to the final destination is generally offset by the time it takes to get from my location to Kentucky - which is averaging 7-8 days via USPS select. sending it any other way drives the total shipping price up over what it would be if I just shipped it myself. Most of my packages turn around and come right back to the bay area for international dispatch. this is taking 8-10 days total, which when shipping myself via USPS has usually only taken 2-3
    - West coast sellers are at a considerable competitive disadvantage due to the higher costs in shipping to Kentucky vs. East coast sellers.
    - lack of control and visibility of final shipment from Kentucky to destination may mean you cannot accurately respond to buyer complaints, though as of yet I have had none.
    - unable to use Ebay combined shipping. this is terrible for buyers who want to purchase more than one item from the same seller, which occurs somewhat frequently

I will continue to use the service, but I would like two see two improvements at some point:
    1) support for combined shipping
    2) a western US consolidation location in addition to the Kentucky location. This will put Western sellers on an equal footing with Eastern ones in terms of prices and delivery times
    @dougts Good info, thanks for passing it along. Hopefully if they continue with it they can have an East coast branch (serving Atlantic nations, Europe, etc) and a West coast branch (Asia, Australia). Would make much more sense than the yo-yoing from coast to coast and back you describe.
    Thanks @dougts. I'm in Indiana and typically only sell one or two sets at a time on eBay. So, no negatives from my standpoint yet. The lack of visibility on the shipping from KY to the final destination is a bummer however.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,649
    FYI, along with the latest price increase of USPS, the custom form # can be used as tracking number and it looks like they are adding countries every month.
    Right now, whether it is a 2oz 1st class package or a Priority Mail box to Australia or Canada, you got tracking all the way along with a time and date of delivery without extra cost...
    I have not ship anything recently to Europe, so I do not know what countries where is tracking working.
    My other open question is whether or not they are re-packing my boxes. I take care to ship my items well protected and usually get feedback indicating so. several of the feeback comments I've had on the Ebay GSP imploy items received in "good" shape, or with some "minor" dings. Not that I've never gotten that kind of feedback previously, but it does seem like more since I started using GSP.

anyone know if they open and re-pack the boxes?
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633

FYI, along with the latest price increase of USPS, the custom form # can be used as tracking number and it looks like they are adding countries every month.
    Right now, whether it is a 2oz 1st class package or a Priority Mail box to Australia or Canada, you got tracking all the way along with a time and date of delivery without extra cost...
    I have not ship anything recently to Europe, so I do not know what countries where is tracking working.

I noticed the new custom# starting with LZ, but did not see any better tracking than pre-price hike
    Here an example for a package, paid $6.55 for 2oz first class, full tracking available.
    ^ Cool, perhaps I will experience that AFTER everyone is used to the new first class international prices ;)
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I shipped a small polybag(under 2 oz.) to Norway today, and it only cost $6.55 for first class international USPS. Not bad at all. Heck, I work for DHL and it would have cost me more to send it that way lol. Plus, you get the small Customs Declaration-CN 22 form that has a tracking number(although the counter agent told me that that is only good until it gets to the respective country and they have to scan it. If they do, then you will see when and/or if it gets delivered. If they don't, well there you go...
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 291
    Looking for bit of advise from UK sellers who post internationally. Im wanting to send a Bat Cave (with box) to Australia. Any ideas of the cheapest way to do this with insurance and some sort or confirmation of delivery / tracking?
    I just noticed a first class package from US to UK has full tracking up to delivery using the custom form #. So, so far: Canada, Australia and UK.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,891
    For U.S. shippers, Lego has it's own tariff code (if you didn't know already). I just found out.

There is a spot for this on the customs form you have to sign. I've found a slightly better delivery time with the code. FYI.

I'd be happy to send it to you for $5.

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,891
    Code #950330
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,322
    dougts said:

dougts said:

so, here is my thoughts thus far. this is all in regards to packages weighing 6 pounds or more

The good:
    - overall shipping is cheaper for the end consumers, which has probably led to some sales I would not otherwise have had.
    -I can send a *much* larger box via this method than I can using USPS only. While not needed for single sets, it does open up the possibility for multi-set listings that were not possible before or for larger quantities of a single set to be shipped together

The bad:
    - for west coast sellers, any decrease in delivery time from Kentucky to the final destination is generally offset by the time it takes to get from my location to Kentucky - which is averaging 7-8 days via USPS select. sending it any other way drives the total shipping price up over what it would be if I just shipped it myself. Most of my packages turn around and come right back to the bay area for international dispatch. this is taking 8-10 days total, which when shipping myself via USPS has usually only taken 2-3
    - West coast sellers are at a considerable competitive disadvantage due to the higher costs in shipping to Kentucky vs. East coast sellers.
    - lack of control and visibility of final shipment from Kentucky to destination may mean you cannot accurately respond to buyer complaints, though as of yet I have had none.
    - unable to use Ebay combined shipping. this is terrible for buyers who want to purchase more than one item from the same seller, which occurs somewhat frequently

I will continue to use the service, but I would like two see two improvements at some point:
    1) support for combined shipping
    2) a western US consolidation location in addition to the Kentucky location. This will put Western sellers on an equal footing with Eastern ones in terms of prices and delivery times
    @dougts- I'll be honest and say I've done a pretty poor job in keeping up with the USPS changes in the past month or two. I just read through this thread to attempt and catch myself up, and saw this post riddled with the word "Kentucky".

Has USPS done something specific in relation to Kentucky, or were you merely using it as an example state? Please pardon my ignorance on the subject.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    ^ I'm guessing that's the main shipping site affiliated with ebay's new (ish) international shipping program.
    ^ this is actually in reference to Ebay's Global shipping program. they're consolidation center is based in Kentucky, and thus every package you send out using the GSP you send to that address in Kentucky
    @samiam391 I believe @dougts was talking about his experience using eBay's Global Shipping Program. It is new eBay international mailing service. GSP users need to send their international packages to GSP's mailing hub in Kentucky.

@prevere And you had to post that # literally minutes after I sent my package to UK ??? :) Thanks, I will need to remember it for next time.
    You only really need to use the HTS code for orders above $2500 in value, or if it is a commercial incorporated business shipping overseas. Otherwise, it isn't necessary. The full code is: 9503.00.0090, which is Toys, Other Non-Specified.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Slightly off topic but I just received an inquiry about a set I have on BrickLink from a potential buyer overseas (I am in US). The set is listed at $1700+ but my concerns are the low feedback score of only 6. I have store terms which indicate that anything over $250 requires a good feedback score although I don't explicitly state a minimum. I am in no rush to sell so I have no problems at all passing up potential sales if there is risk involved. Am I being too strict in this situation?
    @Renny, while I have never ship something that expensive, when I did for new BL member (once 0 feedback), I used Express Mail w/ Insurance. That said, I only ship to about 70 countries, there are places I will never ship no matter the precautions taken...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Request Paypal payment by 'gift' for two-fold benefit of no refund and no fee for seller. Which is significant in your case, so can act like a payment for risk.
    When I was doing some buying and selling of some toys several years ago, I shipped all over the place, including the UK, France, Greece, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Brazil, Australia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. Unfortunately, I was burned by customs on a few places, and I highly highly recommend never ever shipping to Argentina(as well as most South American countries-no offense, but customs will steal it 90% of the time), Mexico, Russia, and most of the old Eastern Bloc countries. It's a tossup as to if your package will make it through customs(if it's not "held up" i.e. stolen) and you will never see it again. If you must ship to these countries, I always recommend insurance no matter what the value.
    ^ I would check with insurance provider for their area of coverage. Shipsaver, for example, do not cover most South America and provide limited coverage for shipments to Russia.
    Rule of thumb: only ship to areas covered by your insurance provider(s).
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Whats the story on buying Lego in NZ these days?
    Looks like I'll have the problem myself soon.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^Do you mean getting stuff shipped from overseas? Or buying locally in NZ?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited April 2013
    Either really, just wondering where's the best place to get stuff from and the kind of prices compared to RRP
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    Shop.lego.com ship to NZ so you an compare prices there, or on Brickset. Shipping costs an arm and a leg though, I believe.