Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Best SW Set to Hang From a Ceiling?

prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
edited June 2012 in Building and Techniques
Looking to hang a SW Lego aircraft from my ceiling in my basement. I've seen some really interesting setups with posts on Brickset. I'm nervous about some of the ships being a little fragile, especially if something or someone bumps into them and parts go flying.

What would some of you recommend? Looking for a larger ship, and maybe hanging some of the planets around it.

Comments

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    You just gotta tilt 'em a little so you can see the top and not just the bottoms. To much tilt and they can look silly unless actively "dog fighting".
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    You just gotta tilt 'em a little so you can see the top and not just the bottoms. To much tilt and they can look silly unless actively "dog fighting".
    Good tip. Thanks.
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    Every time there was a draft and it started sway & swing I would *!@% Bricks!!!

Could try a Super Star Destroyer (UCS) But then i can see the locale rag headlines:

"Man found dead in Basement under three & half Kilo of Lego!"

Kid's do not try that at home.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Every time there was a draft and it started sway & swing I would *!@% Bricks!!!

Could try a Super Star Destroyer (UCS) But then i can see the locale rag headlines:

"Man found dead in Basement under three & half Kilo of Lego!"

Kid's do not try that at home.
    Super Dad Destroyer.
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    I'd be worried about the ship fatiguing with the passage of time and chunks falling off, even if no one bumps it. Or wings could sag and so on if you start putting weird stress loads on the kit as a result of hanging/displaying the set at an unusual angle, effectively putting a gravitational force through the Lego pieces on an axis they don't like.

Having said that, I just picked up my SSD and confirmed that the set is remarkably solid. TLG seems more concerned with structural integrity of the finished kits now more than ever before. The new Millennium Falcon is also remarkably solidly designed. That might be a good one to try actually.

• pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1062121-10/

About halfway down, user ty69 has a ton of sets hung up around, good examples of what can hang.
    Appreciate it. Thanks!
    I have the parts to build the older versions of the Millennium. For those who have built the new one, would that be the best one to hang? I know the older ones are weaker as comparison.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Tie Fighter. Very sturdy and iconic at the same time.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    Just a thought, but wouldnt a person spend half their life (mild exaggeration) hanging and re-hanging the model as it would need dusting/cleaning every week?
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 908
    I had a lot of the ships hanging in the office in my old house - tilting can be a little tricky, but the ones I found looked the best were Slave I (because the ship is facing 'forward' and so you're not just looking at the underside) and the TIE fighters, because the underside isn't too plain. The rebel fighters on the other hand just look quite plain if you can't get a good tilt on them, and the Millenium Falcon looks VERY dull on the underside - it looks much better from the topside.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    ^Same with the SSD. The Star Destroyers have all a bad looking underside.
    The SSD is standing on my desk but with a 45 degree tilt that it looks better.
    TLG should care more for the bottomof the ships because there are enough people who have their ships hanging from the ceiling
    Just a thought, but wouldnt a person spend half their life (mild exaggeration) hanging and re-hanging the model as it would need dusting/cleaning every week?
    Yeah - I've thought about this. But if you can get a cool scene - Falcon chasing Slave I, or TIEs chasing Falcon - it would be worth it to get a keyboard spraying can and give'em a blast every few weeks.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Tie fighters! They still look ok from underneath....
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    I agree with some of the comments about what would look good. I.E., you want to avoid ships with a flat, ugly underside.

The newest TIE fighter sounds almost perfect to me. The ship is said to be remarkably solid and well put together, and its an unusual shape that is kind of devoid of that flat bottom. The new MF does have an ugly bottom, but if you hung it on the right angle, you could fix it so you see the top more than the bottom.

I vote for the TIE fighter.
    I also thought about doing a ceiling scene in mini sets. This way there could be a great X-Wing / Millennium vs. TIEs battle. But I would guess they might be harder to hang.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^Same with the SSD. The Star Destroyers have all a bad looking underside.
    Which is such a shame, just recall the opening to the first Star Wars movie...

The bottom of the ISD is indeed very cool!!!
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    If the Super Star Destroyer looks ugly underneath, why not hang it upside down? After all, there is no "up" in space!
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,180
    The new bwing would look great hanging.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The new bwing would look great hanging.
    Yes, as would the Imperial Shuttle...