Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

1707172737476»

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    If you don’t check the small print shipping cost you may get a nasty surprise...

The seller is in Japan, so maybe they fly you First Class round trip to Tokyo to pick up the set? 🙂

Shipping includes personal delivery to Disneyland at Space Mountain.
    KungFuKennyandheVorpalRyu
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,853
    ^ Where is the Buy It Now button?
    VorpalRyu
    ^ Even eBay knows that's a bad idea...
    Switchfoot55VorpalRyu
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,710
    Some buyers on ebay are ridiculous too.

I stuck some non-LEGO stuff on ebay, worth I thought about £60. I started it at £30 inc free shipping (which would be ~£3), but left the "offer" on so if an early buyer made a good offer, I'd accept it. When doing that I normally automatically reject low offers, but last time forgot to. Six different users placed offers of under £10 on one or more occasions. One person offered £1.00, then £1.50, then £2.00 over the space of three days. The final one had a message "last offer if you dont except I dont buy it" (their spelling, not mine). I don't reject them, I just leave them, so these (non-)buyers are placing new offers separated by at least 24 hours.  What do these buyers expect? Surely they are just wasting their own time. PS. It finally sold for £72.

560HeliportPJ76ukandheMr_CrossFizyx
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 514
    @CCC I have had similar experiences on ebay. Often get messages asking why I won't accept their offers, have to keep explaining that since all my items include free postage I would essentially be paying for them to have the item! I've been tempted to ignore them but the voice in the back of my head warns me not to alienate potential customers as I usually do have many more items to sell!
    560HeliportMr_Cross
    I would always entertain sensible offers, but when they are under 10% of the likely price I feel justified in ignoring them completely.
    560HeliportMr_CrossFizyxsid3windr
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 473
    CCC said:
    I would always entertain sensible offers, but when they are under 10% of the likely price I feel justified in ignoring them completely.
    Hey, sir, can I have that Lambo for like $50? What? No? Aw come on man...last offer. I'm leaving...waaaah...
    560Heliport
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 30
    I might be wrong on this but...if the seller lists with best offer I assume he will take less for the item. 10% less doesn’t seem like an offensive offer to me. People buying Lego in stores or online are looking for 20-30% off minimum. I’m fine if a seller doesn’t want offers, just don’t list it that way. If I don’t get a response on an offer then I take it off my watch list and move on to the next seller.
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 473
    I might be wrong on this but...if the seller lists with best offer I assume he will take less for the item. 10% less doesn’t seem like an offensive offer to me. People buying Lego in stores or online are looking for 20-30% off minimum. I’m fine if a seller doesn’t want offers, just don’t list it that way. If I don’t get a response on an offer then I take it off my watch list and move on to the next seller.
    Less then 10% OF the price not OFF the price.
    560HeliportNickF22gmonkey76andheFizyxsid3windr
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 30
    Ahh, sorry, my bad!
    KungFuKenny
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 514
    When listing you can select "no offers" but when ebay automatically relists an item if it doesn't sell they change it to allow offers. When your selling hundreds of items its time consuming changing the items one by one back to "no offers" and very easy for one or two to get missed. Personally I don't bother changing it if it doesn't sell as you do get sensible offers, I had a £450 offer for a £500 item once that didn't sell and was glad to accept it as I wanted the sale after it had been listed for months with only a previous offer of £250 which naturally I rejected out of hand!
  • w513mfsw513mfs ukMember Posts: 1
    Just saw this and it had bids as well. i'm not  a technic fan but I've been following some of the conversation around #42113. If its a genuine auction makes me very sad. 

• The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,112
    Preeeety sure it’s not worth £900
    andhe
    It's worth One Meeeeeellion Dollars!
    gmonkey76KungFuKennyFizyxandhe
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,952
    There are now several on the US site ranging from $560 to $1725 🙄. 
    Fizyxandhe
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 284
    I get ridiculous offers from buyers on Ebay daily, it's as if some of them (not all clearly) think you're desperate to get rid of stuff and can't comprehend the more mature seller who will sell at the right price and if not will just wait it out. Like above i've had many offers regularly between 10% and 50% of (not off) the starting or BIN price, some so low I think they think there's a chance you'll press the wrong button. 

Just this month I listed a sealed retired set for £315 and I had more than 5 offers each under £100 worded as if they were doing me a favour, one in particular used their 3rd offer to increase their offer to £100 !!! it sold in 2 days at asking price as it was fairly priced to start with.
    560Heliport
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 422
    Preeeety sure it’s not worth £900
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
    560Heliport
    It's amazing to think that eBay will make more money from the Osprey than LEGO will.
    panchox1w513mfsmustang69MCNwakeboard
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 462
    CCC said:
    It's amazing to think that eBay will make more money from the Osprey than LEGO will.
    This brings up an interesting question. It's my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) that retailers purchase their inventory from TLG. I would think in this case with the set being cancelled the retailer would have to send the sets back in order to get reimbursed. If they dont send them back then LEGO gets to keep the money, so technically they are profiting off of the sale of the set, arent they?
    panchox1
    They are, but the cost of production will be high compared to the amount sold.
    mustang69
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 462
    edited July 29
    ^ True, they certainly will not be turning a profit on the set. Should have said they are earning money on them instead, however small that amount is.