Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    ^something to do with competition values not having any explicitly huge price tags attached to them - like when a ticket or voucher only has "a value of £0.01". Also, if they're actually gifted to Lego staff, then they cannot be sold, only gifted on to friends and family for no profit, so long as it doesn't break any IP protection or embargo to do so - that's my understanding - but I doubt it applies to Comic Con editions.
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 372
    ^While I appreciate the technical answer, I was hoping for more like, what's the appropriate to pay on eBay?
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    They regularly go for a four figure sum in the UK depending on the popularity and rarity (ie no other variants in regular sets) of the character. So pretty steep.
    Damn. Four figure as in 1000, or 9999?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^Realistically? Anywhere in the $1,800 to $2,100 USD range depending on condition. If you see the pair of minifigures in bag and other related packaging and lanyards; expect to pay a lot more.
    So the two figures on their own, no packaging (assuming genuine), no more that $2,500?
    ^I can't believe I'm thinking about actually paying two and a half grand for a pair of Lego figures...
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    ^ I was considering getting NYTF Iron-Man & Cap when I first decided I was going to collect all the SDCC Marvel stuff, but after looking at several close up pics of them, I've decided my collection doesn't need them. Personally, I don't like the way they did Iron-Man's head & don't really think much of Cap's overall design, so they're a miss for me. The bright side is for you, one less person who will be potentially bidding against you for them, can't make the same promise for any SDCC stuff I don't have as yet though...
    xiahna
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,790
    Kaitch said:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what those NY Toy Fair figures really are worth? Other than "whatever you're willing to pay for them".
    Kaitch said:
    ...a set of limited run, 2012 NY Toy Fair figures, are today worth one cent USD?

Kaitch said:
    ^While I appreciate the technical answer, I was hoping for more like, what's the appropriate to pay on eBay?

If buying at an auction, then the actual answer is slightly more than someone else is willing to pay so long as that is high enough for the seller to part with them. The problem is, that will vary with time, depending on who is looking to buy and who is selling right at that moment.

You can of course look at past sales as a guide, but that is only a guide. As items get rarer (meaning less of them on the market) the price will go up, as items get more common the price will go down.

If buying from outside EU, then expect to pay about £2.5 K after shipping and insurance plus VAT.

Baby_YodadavetheoxygenmanSumoLegokiki180703
    ^Still too much
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,917
    Isn't 80% off of a completely inflated and arbitrary number a good deal?  I value all of my belongings off of ludicrous eBay offer prices.
    VorpalRyuSprinkleOtter560Heliportkiki180703
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    Kaitch said:
    So the two figures on their own, no packaging (assuming genuine), no more that $2,500?
    There's quite a few. Way more than the 125 commonly advertised because people like to deceive (~125 with bag and lanyard). I'd wait. Perhaps win them at an auction, that should save you a decent amount.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,459
    Kaitch said:
    ^I can't believe I'm thinking about actually paying two and a half grand for a pair of Lego figures...

To me, that would indicate "two and a half grand" may be a bit much. An appropriate amount is enough to buy the product without looking back later and feeling like you overpaid. If you can afford to spend $2K for a pair of minifigures and they will make you happy, go for it. If you're going to be eating old LEGO boxes because you spent $2K on a pair of minifigures, it is probably too much. 

Market value lets you know what other people think a product is worth, and past sales show that market value can fluctuate wildly, for LEGO and most other items for sale.
    ^Oh, don't worry, I'm not foolish enough to actually pay that any time soon, because I know I'll never feel comfortable with it. Maybe if that's the absolute last part of my collection and I made sure to save up for it in advance. But then, there's always more Lego. So while I am thinking about it, I'm not seriously considering it.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,227
    datsunrobbie said:
    eating old LEGO boxes
    Good idea! I've been trying to figure out what to do with all those boxes under my bed and how to pay for food with all the new sets coming out. Kill two birds with one stone!
    BumblepantsArpieSprinkleOtterkiki180703Mr_Cross
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,826
    Baby_Yoda said:
    datsunrobbie said:
    eating old LEGO boxes
    Good idea! I've been trying to figure out what to do with all those boxes under my bed and how to pay for food with all the new sets coming out. Kill two birds with one stone!
    You want to go home and rethink your life
    Baby_YodaSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanSprinkleOtterkiki180703Mr_Cross
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,227
    You were the chosen one! It was said that you would stop the memes, not spread them. You were to bring order to the thread, not leave it in memeishness!
    BumblepantsSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanSprinkleOtterLuLegoVorpalRyukiki180703Mr_Cross
    datsunrobbie said:
    If you're going to be eating old LEGO boxes because you spent $2K on a pair of minifigures, it is probably too much. 
    I ate old LEGO boxes with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
    davetheoxygenmanSprinkleOtterPitfall69LuLegoBaby_Yodasid3windrkiki180703Mr_CrossCyberdragon
    *Pitfall Flings Galidor figure at @SumoLego from his cell and says: "Got Ya!!"
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegoBumblepantsBaby_Yodakiki180703
    Which figure???? Is it a Tager?  I need that to complete my set!!!!
    BumblepantsPitfall69SprinkleOtter
    Baby_Yoda said:
    You were the chosen one! It was said that you would stop the memes, not spread them. You were to bring order to the thread, not leave it in memeishness!
    And look who said that...
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    edited July 2018
    SumoLego said:
    Although this is a Craigslist listing... blurry photos are the hallmark of a great bargain!

And only one of those boxes is from a Star Wars set.  But, 'mostly' is more of a qualitive word, rather than a quantity word... I think.

I can't tell if someone is sleeping on that couch.
    Four of them are Star Wars, actually. 8 sets were sealed. And sooo negotiable on price.

But Glory Be, that guy lived in one sketchy neighborhood!
    SumoLego
    For real?  As long as you didn't wake the guy on the couch.
    UmandraugSprinkleOtterBaby_Yoda
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    SumoLego said:
    For real?  As long as you didn't wake the guy on the couch.
    Never set foot in the house- I didn't have enough faith in him not to turn me into a human-skin cloak.

(though hard to think anyone could sleep on that couch when his dog wouldn't shut up).
    SumoLegogmonkey76sid3windrPitfall69kiki180703
    ^I suppose my question with this one is more with labelling it UCS. It does say further down in the description that it's an MOC, but still.
    I don't think it is ridiculous; he is selling the instructions and he has sold quite a few. The UCS badge us a much discussed topic in the forum. I never thought the Naboo Fighter was a UCS model, but it came with a plaque. It actually says "Special Edition" and NOT UCS, so who knows.
    gmonkey76SprinkleOtterBaby_Yodastluxkiki180703
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,567
    ^Hey, I just picked up a UCS Naboo Fighter in a bulk set. Don't rob me of the joy of owning my first (and likely only) UCS model!
    Pitfall69stluxmak0137
    ^How are the stickers? They started to flake off on my set.
    Either of these good value?
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^How are the stickers? They started to flake off on my set.
    A couple are missing completely, the others are so-so. 
    Not an Ebay listing, but I couldn't pass up sharing the enticing description:

41%, amateur hour, I know...

BumblepantsBaby_YodaMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,826
    ^looks like it could be a pretty decent find if you just want moc parts assuming those bags in the container are sealed
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    ^Id actually be all over that personally!
    sid3windrBaby_Yoda
    Not shown in the top part of the photo are two Mega Bloks sets. I always am cautious when MB's are show front and center. But the sealed bags are obviously Lego. 

I've sent a message out saying I'd like to come take a look. No response yet. 
  • Craig_BCraig_B Member Posts: 20
    2 Gungans standing on top of each other in a trench coat
    SumoLegogmonkey76BumblepantsBaby_YodaSprinkleOtterVorpalRyuFowlerBricksandhekiki180703
    "Two Gungans walk into a bar..."
    gmonkey76SprinkleOtterVorpalRyuSumoLegoFowlerBricksandhekiki180703
    (Meesa meesa thinky these here discussion is apropos for page 69.)
    gmonkey76Baby_YodaSprinkleOtterVorpalRyukiki180703
    ^"Sell items when done elsehere". Not sure if that's a typo on "elsewhere", but that just makes it funnier.
    SumoLego
    ^I do like the printed owls.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 768
    How would ebay know if shill bidding is going on? Sometimes I feel like some jerk's just trying to increase the price to meet the reserve price or something
    What the-
    dmcc0SprinkleOtterVorpalRyukiki180703