Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^^ Unfortunately, BL's "average price" function creates abuse. By listing things at inflated prices, knowing they won't sell, the average price goes up and then others base their costs on the new average price... then the original seller can relist at around the new average.

It's really despicable but at least it doesn't happen more often. The old adage of "the buyer sets the price not the seller" doesn't apply here as many buyers trust the Average Price Guide as reliable to some degree.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Maybe it's a typo.?
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^That only happens at Tesco ;o)
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,067
    What about "ridiculous BL-prices"? I just saw somebody's try to sell a "Shazam"figure for 400€(about 450$ or some)! These go for 100 on Ebay!!!
  • mkolandianmkolandian Member Posts: 25

^^ Unfortunately, BL's "average price" function creates abuse. By listing things at inflated prices, knowing they won't sell, the average price goes up and then others base their costs on the new average price... then the original seller can relist at around the new average.

Now I understand why a BL seller asks 650 (!) euro for the Imperial Shuttle.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439

It's really despicable but at least it doesn't happen more often. The old adage of "the buyer sets the price not the seller" doesn't apply here as many buyers trust the Average Price Guide as reliable to some degree.

Whoever uses the average price of the currently listed items? Makes no sense whatsoever exactly because anyone can ask as much as they want. What counts is how much said item can be sold for. I think 99,99% uses the "last 6 months average sale price" (or the quantity variety) for this reason (both sellers to upload at and buyers for comparison) so this is a non-issue, really.
  • Marc2501Marc2501 Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2012
  • MarkVMarkV Member Posts: 42
    Get 'em while they're ~$50 more than you can find them. Buy 4 for extra savings!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160850071217+&item=160850071217&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ The price on those EN sets isn't terrible, $200 each, but once you add shipping, they are a bit expensive.

The biggest question is, why would anyone want 4 of them? Other than me of course. ;) But I'd never pay $200 each, that is what I'd sell them for.

Strange...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,297
    ^ That is what seems silly about the auction. $200 for one is not so bad. $800 for four is crazy. The first you are selling to a consumer, the second to a reseller. Those two classes of people have different price points they would be willing to pay.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Once saw a new TC-14 for £40, he claimed it's one of a kind :facepalm
    It is one of a kind. One of a kind (of 100000).
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,137
    edited July 2012
    Wow, I just bought one msib for $85. A little over Brick Link average but the seller was nearby. Cute set, but not $400 cute :)
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    @CCC Yeah, still I ain't mad enough to buy a figure for that price, no offence to anyone on here, but I ain't mad to pay £1000 for a rare set or £80 for a figure
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,298
    Renny said:

Wow, I just bought one msib for $85. A little over Brick Link average but the seller was nearby. Cute set, but not $400 cute :)

Yeah, now is the time to buy. I think this set is going to a big seller this Holiday Season. I wouldn't be surprised if the set was going for $100 in a few months. They should be announcing the new set in the series soon.To me, this is like the poor mans Modular Building Series. A completist will want all of them.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 855
    Most definitely. They pair well with the Holiday Train and Advent sets as well. I didn't pick up the Post Office until after the holidays last year so it's all set for a virgin pre-Christmas build this year. Picked it up at the LEGO store on an after-Christmas sale - wasn't much, but was still discounted. May wait until after the holidays for this year's set as well.
    @Pitfall69 the sellers name kind of says it all "grandizer". Obviously thinks his auction deserves a GRAND price!
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 195
    It wouldn't surprise me if the toy shop was well over $100 in late november/early December. First in the Christmas village series, first year it won't be around for the holidays (I'm guessing), and I think the best of the 3 so far. If you want it, get it now, I'm predicting 150-200 on eBay before the end of the year. There are fewer than 25 NIB sets for sale in the US under $100 right now on BL!
    Yes, that is what they are asking for, but check the completed listings. $150-200 is wishful thinking. Let's hope right? I have one to sell :)
    ^ Agreed - and so much for not being allowed to use stock photos too!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^The seller ships worldwide, so he may well have sold those to international bidders who may have actually wound up getting a 'deal.' I can't prove that, of course, but it's very possible.

Also, you're allowed to use stock photos.
  • MandarineMandarine Member Posts: 31
    For us Aussies, I can assure you that $230 US + $20 shipping is a far better deal than RRP in Australia... Our dollar is currently higher than US so we are getting a substantial discount even when you factor in shipping. Ridiculous, I know, but I bet the seller's target market isn't local... Sure, we could probably hold out and get it for the same-ish price locally, but if you're an AFOL, you'll want it ASAP, and better than local retail, is, well, better!
  • MandarineMandarine Member Posts: 31
    An addendum to my post above: this is something to consider, if you are a reseller. Making these sets available to overseas buyers as soon as they come out in the US (usually earlier than elsewhere) is good business, at a small to medium price hike. Given that your LEGO costs less than ours generally speaking, if you're looking at it on a strict currency exchange rate platform, you could flip sets very, very quickly if you do a bit of research on overseas RRPs for those new release sets... Just a thought. :-)
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 720
    ^ GOOD CONDITION. That's all you need to know :-)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,544
    and it isn't even close to a proper SP2 fig. pitiful
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    edited July 2012

I believe eBay said they will put these policies into effect in the near future, they are not in effect NOW though. I will need to reexamine the email notice.. But pretty sure that stock photos will not be allowed, you need to take a actual picture of the item when selling.. as to how they will stop this, who knows.
    As for preselling:
    I believe you can pre-sell items on eBay IF you can prove you have them set aside/ordered only though.
    I stay away from those unless the guy is known for preselling (like CMF boxes)

edited July 2012
    Duplicate

I believe eBay said they will put these policies into effect in the near future, they are not in effect NOW though. I will need to reexamine the email notice.. But pretty sure that stock photos will not be allowed, you need to take a actual picture of the item when selling.. as to how they will stop this, who knows.
    As for preselling:
    I believe you can pre-sell items on eBay IF you can prove you have them set aside/ordered only though.

Ahh, they can use a stock photo under new eBay polices but not as the main one, but I guess it will be hard for eBay to police it either way. As for the guy selling Haunted houses I guess he could be working with a distributor but even then 4 people bought these and are going to be mad when they find out they could have just waited and gotten it for 180 US on Sept 1st.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    edited July 2012
    RE: the Haunted House on eBay - don't necessarily believe that he's sold all 4 for real. There are many cases where 'buyers' and 'sellers' get together to jack up the price/etc. to make it look like this is a good deal. I always look at the feedback . Buyer Beware!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

As for preselling:

Ahh, they can use a stock photo under new eBay polices but not as the main one, but I guess it will be hard for eBay to police it either way. As for the guy selling Haunted houses I guess he could be working with a distributor but even then 4 people bought these and are going to be mad when they find out they could have just waited and gotten it for 180 US on Sept 1st.
    According to the new fall update, that only applies to used items. You should still be able to use a stock photo as your main picture of a new item without violating any policies.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    Not actually eBay, but I think £123,456 is a bit steep for this lot:
    gumtree.com/p/for-sale/large-collection-of-lego-for-sale/107384432
    @paul_merton maybe his wife\her husband said it was time to sell things but didn't tell them to set a reasonable price so it would actually be bought! LOL
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    I stumbled upon an advert for a UCS Millennium Falcon for £430 earlier (not on eBay). Judging from the seller's initial response, and the suspiciously low price, I'm now pretty sure that it's a scam.

It's rather tempting to string him along...
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    ^ was it in the local ads? I saw very similar from a guy calling himself lego brick toys ltd or something like that. Seems far too cheap although it mentions about bidding for it in the details.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    @Paul_merton

It says "sensible offers please"

My question is how on earth can anyone have a sensible offer when their asking price is obviously typed in by someone suffer from Hydrocephalus...
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    edited July 2012

@Paul_merton

how on earth can anyone have a sensible offer when their asking price is obviously typed in by someone suffer from Hydrocephalus...

Could we have less of this kind of thing please? It is not a pleasant condition for anyone suffering from it.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Maybe @Obsession should have used the common euphemism of 'water on the brain' for that one to avoid any misinterpretation of offense to those with the true affliction. I'm sure it was just in fun jest though right?
    Yes, my nephew has it and has a shunt.
    Lol.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,137
    That's pretty funny :) Although the other customs he has are not that bad (silver lining here folks).
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 817
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 270
    Hi. Has anyone ordered or know anything about the cheap, free shipping minifigs shipping from Korea....that seem to good to be true?
    I think there is a difference between what someone is asking for their item and what somebody paid for it. Someone asking $1,500 for Cloud City Bob Fett is ridiculous. Someone paying $1,500 is plain stupid.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,239
    ^It all depends on the buyer. If they value it at $1,500, it really wasn't a stupid purchase to them. However, to everyone else though........